Namaste Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Has many vegetarian and vegan dishes. Known for chai tea. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Nepali, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by condekedar
stpaulmn
stpaulmn

Excellent!

4 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2013

Nice casual setting in a house on Hennepin Avenue. Food is excellent. The Paapri Chaat appetizer is the best thing ever. Excellent curries.

JimMSP
JimMSP

Great food & service; other aspects could improve

3 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2011

Our food was excellent and there were lots of vegan choices. Spices were perfect. We arrived during happy hour and appreciated the reduced drink prices; however the red wine was served at a temperature that was far too warm. The funky atmosphere was pleasing and the floor was clean; however we didn't appreciated the spider webs on the ceiling over our table. Service was great -- very pleasant folks and I'm definitely returning.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable prices, Fantastic staff
Cons: Too-warm wine, Ceiling could use cleaning
veganlogger
veganlogger

The Chole is Addictive

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2011

Namaste is the first place I hit up when I'm back in town, I absolutely love it. It's on Hennepin in uptown, right next to the Duplex. They have a patio and outdoor seating, and it's really pretty in the summer because they put these white lights up. The inside is nice, with art from local artists.

To start, they're best known for their chai, which can be ordered vegan with soy milk. I haven't tried them all, but the spicy masala is my personal favorite.

I've been very happy with the food every time. I've tried:
Mamacha: can't go wrong with tasty little tofu dumplings.
Spicy fried potatoes: I always get these during happy hour, they're tasty
Green soybeans: LOVE these, they're kind of spicy but cool and refreshing at the same time
Chana Chatpat: I actually didn't like this a whole lot, because I don't like raw onions.
Spinach salad: expensive for such a simple dish, but the dressing is really good.
Chole: This is addicting, and is my favorite thing in the world. I like to order it really spicy and ask for extra cilantro to put on top.
Plain paratha, aloo paratha, and roti: Can all be ordered vegan, are a good accompaniment if you're feeling extra hungry.
Almond curry: not vegan, but I liked it a lot with tofu when I was a vegetarian.
Zucchini with carmelized onions: This is surprisingly filling! A lot of flavor.
Carrot coconut creme brulee: Oh my god, heaven. This stuff is amazing.

The lunch boxes are a bit pricy, but you get a lot of food. They don't always have vegan lunch box options, so plan ahead.

Can you tell I love Namaste? If you only go there once in your life, definitely get the chole.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good for lunch, vegan chai
Cons: They also serve meat, a bit expensive
rustyboy
rustyboy

Not so good

1 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2008

The food items that I ordered was:
1) Chai tea : good
2) Spinach salad: too much raw garlic and the dressing was weird... and not baby spinach as advertised. Overpriced for few slice of tomatoes and spinach
3) Veggie momos: too much tumeric, not like original momos from Nepal/Tibet.

I would recommend this place only for their tea but not the food.

Ramjet
Ramjet

I was impressed and would definately go back

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

The atmosphere is totally laid back. In fact if you are in a hurry, you had better say something to your wait-person. They have a excellent beer/wine menu and this is one area where they could speed up the process. We were brought water and menu immediately, but it was almost 10 minutes before we were approached about taking our order. This was both for drinks and food. The drinks took a little over 5 minutes to arrive, which is a bit long...if you ask me. The food was timed nicely though, and I must say worth the wait. Their curries are excellent. You choose your spice level, which is nice. The flavors were awesome and their rice is the best I've had in a long, long time. Yes, I will be going back. In fact I'm looking forward to it.

Pros: Nice value, Very friendly staff, Perfect laid back atmosphere
Cons: Wait for drinks is long
BigJade
BigJade

I can't wait to go back!

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2008

I really liked this place. The mood and feel was very relaxing and comforting. It did take a little longer to get the food but I was enjoying the atmosphere and the company, so it didn't bother me. I actually prefer the laid back places. It's nice to step out of the high-speed of my normal life and just enjoy myself. The food was really good. My husband requested spicier food, and oh did he get it! He said it was awesome, and he was sweating after a couple of bites! Since he loves that type of food, I know he was in heaven. Mine was great too. Also, I am not usually a big fan of Chai, this the vanilla Chai was awesome. I even had a second class.

Pros: Great Chai, Relaxed Atmosphere, Good Food
condekedar
condekedar

Cute, but slightly lacking

2 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2007

Namaste Cafe makes great chai and has excellent ambience, as well as a focus on local and organic foods (though it's not 100% vegetarian), but the service is lacking---our food took forty minutes to arrive and the waiters weren't very attentive. The food was light but seemed a bit flat in terms of spices and overall flavor. Prices were high, too, considering the quantity of food they give. I'll give it another shot, but was not totally impressed. I'd definitely take a vegetarian Indian restaurant over this place.

Pros: Chai, Decor
Cons: Not 100% vegetarian, Service, Flavor

Dear Owner and Manager of Namaste Cafe: