Nakite - temporarily closed

Vegetarian restaurant and health food store located at the heart of Oporto's art gallery district. Budget menus available including vegetarian "francesinha". Cozy atmosphere. Direction: To get to Nakite: STCP bus lines 602, 301, 200, 207. JUNE 2014 REPORTED CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS - PLEASE UPDATE HAPPYCOW WHEN IT RE-OPENS! Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Portugese, Beer/Wine

First Review by aaronbloom
IrisSantos
IrisSantos

Not great but good enough

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

I remember I went there once with my fiancé and the food was nothing I wouldn't be able to prepare at home but it was tasty.

Pros: Frindly Place, Tasty food
Cons: The management seems a little clumsy, It's located in the busy downtown, It's far from the Metro
mariaPLAC
mariaPLAC

Recommended!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

I love this place! As a student, it is very convenient for me because it is pretty cheap. Even though it has quite a big space inside, I am always attracted to the backyard. It's is just so cute and cosy! The staff is super friendly and I love the food (the lasagne is sooo good)! I definitely recommend it.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff, cosy backyard
GizelaRego
GizelaRego

Not impressed

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I went there once, but i was not impressed by the food. Not many vegan options, no big portion. Maybe was the wrong day to go, i dont know, i have to see it again :)

Pros: Price, Nice place
Cons: Vegan options, Portions
  • FlorZinha FlorZinha

You should try it once more!
    It is as you know a vegetarian restaurant, not vegan, but make sure to mention you are vegan, i'm sure they will try to make you a nice vegan meal!
    They usually have the day dishes, and other house dishes, but also a wide variety of options not presented in the menu, just ask for the Chef, and i'm sure she will do her best!

heliorodrigues
heliorodrigues

good value. great place!

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

i been many times to this place and all i can say is that is one of my favs in porto i highly recommend it to anyone - location is great, the simplicity of the place itself, very good value with menus at about €5, nice outside place in the back, family atmosphere, friendly service and decent variety to choose from. overall its definitely a five star restaurant.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 10, 2013

Pros: outside garden in the back, friendly staff, cheap and tasty
veganjess86
veganjess86

Shouldn't be in the restaurant business

2 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

While the atmosphere was pleasant and our waitress was really nice food was barley editable. There were a few options and I went with something called "the brick". It was full of what seemed to be old veggies, cabbage and zucchini mostly and had no taste other than oil.

• FlorZinha FlorZinha

I'm sorry but I don't think you're being fair in your review...

(...)Just a hint, you can't complain on few vegan options when you're searching them in a vegetarian restaurant... Though I'm sure they would have made you any vegan dish, had you ask for it! (...)
    They have done it for me more tan once, more than i could count actually!
    You shoud try it once more, and then decide, there aren't many options around, so if you go back to portugal, just give it a chance...

Erickac
Erickac

Not impressed

2 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

I went to this place based on previous reviews on my recent trip to Porto. The food was inedible. I got the traditional fransciana sandwich. The bread was soggy, the soya cheese not melted, cold, and covered in an off tasting tomato sauce. I told the waitress I did not like it and she brought me something else. However this too was not cooked properly, lacked flavor, and was just bad. The atmosphere and waitress were both pleasant however.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 26, 2013

Pros: Nice outdoor patio, Location, Friendly staff
Cons: Bad food, Lack of selection
  • FlorZinha FlorZinha

This is a typical dish from Oporto, not everyone enjoys it, the soggy bread and tomato sauce is just how it is, in the normal version it has a strong meat flavor, which wouldn't be nice in a vegetarian version... The cheese is supossed to be melted, I can not argue with that, though it never happened to me... As for the second meal they served you, I should guess it was done on the fast track, to avoid you waiting to long, so it is normal it wouldn't be perfect... There is a saying "fast and perfect, not many can"... Try different dishes, and choose flavours you're more used to! Regards

anomaly77
anomaly77

The best thing that happened to me!

2 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

Unfortunately I am not referring to the restaurant in any means! The food was honestly revolting ( may be I made a wrong choice!!) but what are the odds that my friend and also the three strangers whom we spoke to also made a wrong choice! May be their regular chef went fishing.... I am trying to be kind for this place but I just cannot!

You can avoid it!

But this place will be remembered for long time !! No prize for guessing I met the most beautiful and funniest girl I ever met!

Pros: Cheap, good choice, friendly portions
Cons: Not so tasty food, Needs to improve the decor
grashopper
grashopper

superfriendly veggies

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

We had a great lunch here, main course ranges from 6 to 9€. The food was really good. We ordered a vegetarian francesinha and a seitan dish with mushroom sauce mmm! The two women there were supernice too. We were able to sit in their beautiful garden, but there was plenty of space inside as well. By accident we ordered non-alcoholic beer, but that was our fault :).

chlough
chlough

Great for evening meals

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2012

Nakite seemed to be one of a few vegetarian/vegan friendly place open on an evening, so this is when we visited.

The restaurant had quite a few people eating there, which is always a good sign! We had to wait a while to be served, but the girl waitressing seemed to be the only one working, she was very very friendly, and apologetic.

I had a really tasty sesame tofu main course

There was no problem getting a vegan option. We all had starters, mains and beers, between the four of us it came to 50EUR, definitely worth it, recommended.

Pros: tasty, english speaking, good value
irishpataias
irishpataias

Excellent Lunch

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

We ate here last Saturday for lunch. They had a few choices to chose for lunch specials and vegan options as well, wine, beer, etc and a nice spot out at the back to eat outdoors. We would recommend and go back.

Pros: Vegan Options, Friendly staff, Good value
Mimi
Mimi

Good Food

3 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2012

We had an evening meal here twice . . . the food is good. Staff are friendly. But it was freezing cold and nearly everyone was wearing coats. Not comfortable to linger over a meal. Portions OK. Recommend a visit.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly
Cons: Cold in Winter
nn
nn

Superb

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

Very nice restaurant. Good food (lot of choice), nice staff, not expensive. Also a beautifull backjard. Nothing bad about this place. A place were you definattely will come back once you've been there.

Bauldric
Bauldric

Lovely stuff

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2011

This is a place where you can get excellent meal that is not expensive at all. The stuff is very friendly and you can sit also outside.

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff, cheap
Anna Vladi
Anna Vladi

thanks for joy

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

I had a wondeful lunch there. They even prepair traditional portugeese meals but vegetarian. We enjoyed the fresh mixed juice and nice bread and spread. Very nice atmosphere and nice cook who serves the meals. There is also a cosy backjard so we have enjoyed the sunny portugeese weather.

Pros: traditional meal, nice backjard, cosy atmosphere
KathyChristof
KathyChristof

Creative Vegetarian Cooking

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

We went to Nakite for lunch on recommendation from our hotel. Many Portuguese and Brazilian dishes (all vegetarian) on the menu. We enjoyed our food very much. The staff was very friendly and helpful and communicated with us in English.

andycor
andycor

My favourite restaurant in Porto

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2010

Excelente affordable food.
Also have shop.

Pros: Excellent food, Very cheap, Great service
Cons: Building is dull
Sergeetmelanie
Sergeetmelanie

very nice

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

Nice place with nice people, try the francesinha (or sth like that) some kind of "croque monsieur" with seitan and veggie sausages ... delicious and not expensive

Pros: delicious
aaronbloom
aaronbloom

Friendly, tasty veg food in Porto

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

A quiet place a little, but not that far, off the beaten path. My wife (vegetarian) and I (not) went there in summer 2007 (we just stumbled upon the card from the place, and we had promised to review because we were so grateful to find it). The food was good and the servers were super nice, even giving us travel tips, recommendations for other vegetarian places, and just hanging out. They also had a pleasant little garden out back. Nothing fancy here, but in addition to getting a meal, we felt we were actually meeting some local people.

Pros: friendly, vegetarian, garden

Dear Owner and Manager of Nakite - temporarily closed: