Serving Japanese-style vegan food in a comfortable setting, at 東京都渋谷区鶯谷町15-10 take JR Shibuya station south exit. Offers plate lunches and a la carte. Last order for lunch 3pm. Japanese and western seating. Also sells magazines and indie books. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Beer/Wine
Uguisudanicho 15-10, Royal Palace Shibuya 103
Tokyo, Japan 150-0032
050-10437751

Mon-Sat 12:00pm-4:00pm, 6:00pm-11:00pm

First Review by selena
Tiggy
Tiggy

Pleasant meal in relaxed setting...

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2015

I came to this small restaurant around 8pm on a Thursday and waited about ten minutes for a table. I was attended to graciously by the staff and sat at a low table in a raised area of the funky, informal space. The menu is a mixture of traditional and modern Japanese and international. I ordered the curry plate (¥1,500), which included, alongside curry, brown rice, pappadam and spiced potato, a falafel of all things. The food was good if not amazing, with a home-cooked quality. For dessert I chose the burdock and chocolate cake (¥550), which was good, better than I expected and came with a small green tea cookie. I accompanied this with some dry sake (¥800) from the range of alcoholic drinks on the menu. It was a pleasant meal in a relaxed setting with friendly staff.

Pros: Relaxed setting
MonicaPancake
MonicaPancake

Really glad I visited

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2015

Tucked away in a quiet corner near shibuya station, Nagi Shokudo is a cool place to grab a bite. I feel like previous reviewers have adequately covered the food, but I dont think they did the setting justice. Sure, the place is not gleaming and modern, but it has a charming university food coop sort of vibe, which is emphasized by the various shelves of cool magazines and zines to read or buy, the floor-to-ceiling (somewhat grimy, yes) windows with plants outside, the japanese seating area, and the hand-written menu signs - not to mention all the interesting characters I saw file through there in less than an hour. As well as pretty zines, they appear to have some tapes and records on sale. Along with the very reasonably-priced food, this makes Nagi Shokudo an excellent choice for a place to eat & hang out in Tokyo.

Pros: setting & location, filling but inexpensive, nice reading materials
Cons: not much choice, cake was sold out when I went - woe!, not clearly labeled outside
StephieLin
StephieLin

Authentic Japanese Home Cooking

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2015

Nagi Shokudo is small but bursting with delicious home made food. We have been there several times now, and each visit never fails.

The average lunch set which you can customise with three deli and comes with miso soup, brown rice, salad and a drink. The delis are listed on the menu which they occasionally change. They offers a wide array of deli choices, many of them including vegetables that you don’t often see combined with one another, which was refreshing. Such as spinach with lemongrass sauce or miso marinated eggplant. They also serve falafel, friend soy meat, fried lentils and tofu. Food taste delicious and home made.

The seating arrangement of Nagi is unique. Visitors can sit either at the regular chairs and tables or at the raised section which gives you the chance to remove your shoes and sit on traditional Japanese flooring.

Its a unique experience for those who are looking to try some unique Japanese food. The look of the food may not always look appetising but once its in your mouth you wouldn't care so much about the look.

Pros: Home made , Fresh , Cheap

dagny70
dagny70

A Surprising Find!

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2015

What a lovely little place this is. It's small, dimly lit, furnished with odds and ends, and kind of tucked out of the way. But the food is really tasty, service friendly, and the atmosphere is so calming after a busy day in Shibuya. When I first came here with my partner, we shared a set dinner for 2, which, in true Japanese style, consisted of bowls of brown rice, miso soup, and lots of small dishes of things to try. Since then, I've been back several times and had various dinner set meals, which have been delicious. There is a raised area with Japanese style seating, and 6 or so 'western' tables and chairs, so it's not a huge place. But I've been on both weekdays and weekends and have never had trouble getting a table. Menu in both Japanese and English, and very inexpensive for what you get. The first time I tried to find it, I did get lost, but it's not that tricky. From around Shibuya station, you want to head towards Cerulean Tower. This is noted on most tourist maps and maps around the station. You have to go over a pedestrian overpass to get across a busy main road. Just before Cerulean Tower , there is a path on the left, take this and walk towards the main road. Cross the road and keep walking straight. You will go past Jonathan's coffee shop on your right and 7-11 on your left. When you reach the end of this street, you will be facing a restaurant called Turtles, and can only go left or right. Go right,and walk for about 5 minutes heading slightly downhill (you should be on the right hand side of the street) You will reach a pedestrian crossing at a 4-way intersection. Cross here and the restaurant is right there on the corner, but down a couple of steps. Small sandwich board outside, which says in English 'vegan food' and it's next door to a fancy restaurant called 'Pinosaluce'.

Pros: Delicious food, Very inexpensive, Friendly service
Cons: Small
Konekiene
Konekiene

Hippie Home

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2015

Not always easy to find so imperfect spot in Tokyo as this restaurant. Poor ventilation, uncomfortable seating, throw away furniture, falafel too dry, curry too heavy..

No matter these imperfections, this place feels very welcoming. One can find seats even on Friday night. Staff is busy, but very sincere and nice. Music by infamous Japanese musicians provides extra vibe.

Many options to create your own dinner from deli menu (some traditional Japanese food also in)
Or pick a hearty set meal (as usually in Japan, expect a mountain of brown rice).

shrines
shrines

small but tasty

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2015

Easy to find if you pop the address into google maps. Walkable from nearest station. Don't be turned off by the interior, the food is excellent. It was quite busy when we came and that's always a good sign :) We had the recommended plate of the day, a curry dish with fried meat, salad and miso soup. I had spicy fried soy meat. Both were delicious. In fact I wish we had went back there during our stay. Prices are reasonable, with drink prices a little on the high side. Def. recommend it.

xshelasx
xshelasx

Reasonable food, nice atmosphere.

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2014

Small, cosy eating space with very friendly staff. They have quite an extensive menu along with their dishes of the day which are written on a board. The food was good, although nothing special, and it left us feeling full and happy.

Pros: Quiet, Friendly staff, Lots to choose from
Zabelius
Zabelius

Hidden gem between Shibuya and Daikanyama

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2014

I was passing through Tokyo and this place was my salvation when I needed to kill a few hours. Tasty food, reasonable prices, not too crowded and a great vibe stemming from both the music and the layout.

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Tried Nagi

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

We tried Nagi after a long day's work one night... had heard so much about it that we felt we could trust it to energize and nourish us. Really, we left wondering what all the fuss was about.

The vibe is along the lines of grandma's living room, which is quaint and refreshing considering the location but not quite as funky as we had hoped/imagined. It felt a bit stale and I agree with another reviewer who used the word 'grimy' - quite an apt description.

The service came from the exact grandma that the ambiance implied - this was a the good part, as she was both friendly and sincere.

The food was standard old-school teishoku (set meal) style food. It filled us up, but didn't bowl us over. Nice that it is vegan but that was about all. The energy it installed in us was unfortunately not all that great - far from picking us up, it tired us out and scattered our minds, possibly because of the oil they use, possibly other ingredients or the chef's ch'ii, hard to say.

Pros: Shibuya location, Authentic old-school laid-back vibe
Cons: A bit dilapidated in an unfunky way
thisplaceisheaven
thisplaceisheaven

Nice experience

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

I loved the whole experience even though it was not perfect. Food was excellent, not very cheap but not terrible. We payed 4000yen for 3 dishes and tea and it was enough to make 3 people satisfied. We were given miso soup for free too which was very nice.
It's very close to Shibuya station (about 400 m) but we had problems with finidng it. We took new south exit not south exit so remeber about this! It doesn't have any "Nagi Shokudo" sign so look for red Japaneese sign with "all vegan food". All located in the basement.
Stuff was extremely lovely. The interior unfortunately seems a little bit dirty, chaotic and would definitely benefit from some changes.

Pros: excellent stuff, tasty, healthy food
Cons: interior design, a little bit hided
Dirtyanddarling
Dirtyanddarling

Hard to find, friendly staff!

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

This place was okay, good but not great, but the atmosphere and the staff made it. The food was pricy for what I ordered (a coconut soup with rice that also came with miso soup) but after a long day in busy Shibuya, it was worth it. When you're coming from the station using google maps, it will tell you that your last step is to turn right at the bottom of a road that dead ends. This place is actually directly ahead of you in the basement, off to the right but not a hard right. I hope that makes sense? It took us a minute of standing confused out front before we realized we were actually there so keep your eyes peeled!

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: small servings for the price
joeyfalconetti
joeyfalconetti

Friendly small vegan restaurant

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

We sought out this place when we were hungry and tired and we were very glad to find it. We found it easily because there was a big red sign out front reading "all vegan food". The menu was a little confusing to us, but we got a good meal and enjoyed all of our food. The restaurant is cozy.

Pros: Great food, Friendly service
Cons: A little out of the way
poopixie
poopixie

Lovely, quiet, great vegan food

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

Came here 3 times for dinner and enjoyed the lovely food each time. The set meal for 2 is great value with a lot of dishes and curry, rice, miso etc. Also ordered from the a la carte menu and wasn't disappointed. Tricky to find but worth doing so.

Pros: value, tasty food, nice staff
laminarflow027
laminarflow027

Excellent Japanese style vegan food

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

I went to this place for dinner. Granted, it's not very cheap compared to regular Japanese fast food, but this restaurant has GREAT food. The place is very cosy, and has an option to sit down and eat dinner the Japanese way (sitting cross-legged on low tables), which made it feel that much more authentic. The staff also spoke a decent amount of english.

The deep-fried soy meat was absolutely delicious, as was the vegan miso soup. The portions were slightly small in size but they more than made up for that in taste. I'd definitely go here again!

Pros: Excellent food, cosy ambience, Japanese style seating available
Cons: Slightly small portions for price paid
umebossy
umebossy

Great for lunch

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

I haven't visited in the evening so can't speak for the value/menu then but we love going to Nagi Shokudo for weekday lunches as it is located near my husband's office. You can choose from the basic lunch plate (fried soy meat and a set selection from the deli menu) or the slightly more expensive deli plate where you can choose 3 items from the varied menu. Both come with rice, pickles and miso soup. You get a good amount of food for the price and the atmosphere is good too. Lots of books to flip through while you wait!

Pros: Varied menu, Reasonable lunch menu, Friendly staff
Cons: Can't use credit cards, A little cramped
gooseypig
gooseypig

Cosy, friendly, delicious

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

I don't understand the negative reviews of this place. I've been here 3 or 4 times and have really enjoyed it on every occasion. It's cosy, friendly and the food is interesting and delicious in my opinion.

MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

Great for a vegan lunch

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

As a resident of Tokyo, I think some of the other reviews have been overly critical of this restaurant. Indeed, it's not the easiest location to find but the reality is that running a vegan restaurant in Tokyo is more of a personal dream, rather than something profitable and thus it often simply isn't possible to open shop in prime real estate areas.

That said, I used to work nearby and frequented Nagi Shokudo for lunch. I believe they have a curry plate and some kind of daily lunch plate in addition to the choose 3 lunch plate (additional items can be added for a fee). I usually got the choose 3 lunch plate in which you are able to choose 3 deli items from a list of about 10 and those are served with salad, brown rice, miso soup, and a drink for 1000yen. A dessert can also be added for, I think, 250yen. I wouldn't describe the portions as large but they are adequate and still more than some other vegan cafes in the Shibuya area. Everything I had there was always quite good and fresh-tasting. In response to another review, I find that the amount of oil used in foods is significantly less than what you would encounter in a restaurant in a typical Western country.

However as some people have pointed out, I agree that lunch at Nagi Shokudo is better than dinner. It's not that the quality is bad; rather, the dinner menu seems like lunch-size portions at dinner time prices. The last time I went there for dinner, you could order a la carte, the dinner course, or the dinner set, which was basically the same 1000yen lunch set. If you do go for dinner, I recommend getting the 1000yen set and splitting some a la carte items.

All in all, I think Nagi Shokudo is a lovely option for a vegan Japanese lunch, but if you are looking for a large-portioned, cheap dinner, then here is not the place.

Pros: nice selection for lunch, freshly made, good vegan miso soup
Cons: might be hard to find, tables are abnormally small
Anne-MarieVeg
Anne-MarieVeg
  • raw

not very clean but good

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

Very small restaurant where you can eat on your knees or on a chair. Several courses, good but not fantastics. The walls, and the kitchen, and every thing are not so clean.

Pros: not bad
Cons: seems to be durty
davidredstone
davidredstone

Nice place

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

We found this place just up the road from where we were staying with a friend.

It was not hard to find, the staff spoke English, the food was tasty, and it was not too expensive (but certainly not cheap). There's a lunch deal where you pick and mix from dishes that are behind glass.

The food was nowhere near as good as T's Tantan (inside Tokyo train Station), but it was good to find a local vegetarian place.

Pros: Decent food, Staff speak English
Cons: A bit pricey
JesseD
JesseD

Delightful Little Vegan Cafe Walkable from Shibuya

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

I thought the previous review was surprisingly harsh; as a resident Nagi Shokudo is one of my favourite places in Tokyo (along with Pure Cafe, Kuumba Du Falafel, The Loving Hut, Little Heaven and the T's restaurants). Their criticisms were basically correct, but I see it as a humble little vegan cafe serving great food in walking distance from Shibuya Station, run by a delightful couple.

First, the negatives. It is rather cramped, in the semi-underground floor of an old building, and it could be difficult to find (but Google Maps works fine). Perhaps because of that, ventilation isn't good, and yes it does have a slight smell of fried foods. The books/CDs and odd few decorations might not be for everyone, but it doesn't stop me enjoying my meal, and I've happily brought visitors to introduce them to a Japanese vegan meal. And I've never sen it very busy, but the reality is that it's not easy to run a vegan cafe in Japan (hence why so many come and go) so most vegan places are quiet and a bit off the beaten path.

And the meal: it's basically a plate with a delicious assortment of foods, and bowls of rice, miso soup and sometimes other dishes. Quite a lot of it is fried, but it also includes salad and vegetables, so I find it quite satisfying and think it's reasonably balanced and healthy. They also offer desserts and drinks.

I would recommend trying Nagi Shokudo and the Vegan Healing Cafe while in Shibuya.

Pros: good location, good value, delicious assortment of foods
Cons: old, somewhat cramped building, a bit of a walk from to get there
sglcklch
sglcklch

Don't bother

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

My partner and I went out of our way to come here for dinner and it was horrible. No wonder the entire time we were there they only had one other customer. First off the ventilation, if there was any at all, was awful. The whole place smelled of fried food. The setting was grimy and dumpy. They might have tried to make it look cool and eclectic but it just didn't work.

Onto the food, we ordered the JPY4000 dinner set for two which came with a salad, couple pieces of papadums, a tofu curry and a big plate of assorted dishes. We also got two bowls of brown rice and miso soup for an extra JPY500. The whole set had a lot of fried food (hence the odor) and everything was on the greasy side. I had always had papads dry but the ones here were freshly fried and covered in oil. The salad was so overdressed with whatever oil-based vinaigrette they were using that it was drenched in oil as well. The tofu curry was mediocre at best. Some dishes on the dinner plate were tasty enough but then again too many deep-fried items.

I found the dinner set for two a total rip-off. Why a set for one cost only JPY1500 while that for two cost more than twice as much more was beyond me. There are a number of restaurants around the area that are miles better than this one in every single way. Really no reason whatsoever to have to find your way here.

Pros: grimy, smelly setting, greasy food, overpriced
Jeesh42
Jeesh42

Excellent vegan dinners

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2012

For 1,000JPY, you get a full plate (bursting with dishes) and some more side plates of rice, miso soup, fried tofu etc. The flavours are excellent. The atmosphere is also very cool with the eclectic books and CDs there for you to peruse while waiting for your meal.

Pros: Very good flavours, Big portions, Excellent value
RuzhaTodorova
RuzhaTodorova

Great food and atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2011

Nagi Shokudo is not very easy to find, but it's all worth it. The food is fantastic, and the atmosphere is very relaxed. We went there for lunch.
You get to pick three dishes (out of many!!), which come with a salad, rice, and miso soup, and tea. All for a very low price. We ended up trying the eggplant mushroom curry, kabocha pumpkin salad, falafel, roasted basil potatoes, and preserved veggies. For dessert we had the apple fig cake, which was amazing!
The place has a great cozy casual atmosphere, and I highly recommend it!

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere, Friendly staff
maryb
maryb

a favourite!

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

took a while to find, but well worth it!! coming out the main exit from shibuya, facing the infamous crosswalk you'll want to look to your 8:00 and head that direction, across the pedestrian overpasses, over to the guitar area. then head up one of the streets for several blocks. the restaurant is on a corner and across/near a post office. lunch was great, you get to choose 3 dishes and comes with soup and rice, i think around 1000 yen. dinner was also great with a changing menu. no set meals for dinner, and a little more money. great atmosphere, friendly staff who speak very good english. i will be back again!!

Pros: food, staff, atmosphere
goyachamp
goyachamp

highly recommended

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2008

delicious and reasonably priced vegan food. mostly variations on japanese food with some western dishes. english menu. dinner can be had for under 2000 yen.
friendly atmosphere, lots of excellent art and music periodicals to read and great music on the stereo.
i'll definitely be back next time i'm in Tokyo.

selena
selena

Nagi is love!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2008

Friendly and yummy.

Pros: tasty, cheap, friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Nagi Shokudo: