CLOSED: Myogaya

All vegan as of Apr 2012. Small and peaceful organic cafe run by an elderly lady named Kayoko. The food is traditional Japanese food prepared with care. Rice ball & brown rice sets are served on big round stone plates with many small, delectable portions of different vegetable (e.g. lotus root, pumpkin, radish) plus miso soup. There is also a curry vegetable on the menu. Also sells organic provisions and craft items. A 3 minute walk from Takayama rail station. FEB 2014 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Japanese
5-15 Hanasato-cho
Takayama, Japan
81-577-32-0426

Open Wed-Fri, Sun 12-3pm, 5-7pm, Sat dinner by reservation.

First Review by taralea
MtVic
MtVic

Myogaya

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

A small quiet place with seating for about 10. Run by a very friendly elderly woman. We had lunch - the menu was set with two choices both were tasty. Our Japanese is poor, but the owner cheerfully assisted us.

Shauna333
Shauna333

Friendly, Homely and Lovely!

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2012

I was worried about my trip to Takayama in November 2011, as i was unsure of finding vegetarian options. As soon as I arrived, I visited Myogaya and they had just finished breakfast, so were only open for tea. I popped back at 12pm and was in for a treat. The elderly owner speaks very little English, but her nephew was waiting for lunch there too and had studies in Australia and the UK, so we were able to translate! It was such a friendly spot, meeting a tea ceremony instructor from Kyoto there also. We all chatted (with translation) whilst the lunch sets were made. I was asked if I was ok with gluten and wheat. I am fine with this, but perhaps there is a gluten free option available? I ordered the lunch set and had free green tea and a plate of yummy things, including marinated tofu, pickles, seaweed, squash and a sauce, curried cauliflower, cabbage and radish salad and a deep fried panko coated fu. It was all delicious, and although it didn't look like much, it filled me up. The service was quite slow, but only because I arrived as soon as it opened and had to get a bus for a trip. It was lovely there waiting, though. I stayed at J Hopper's Hostel, and it was a 5 minute walk around the corner. It was closed on the second day of my trip, so do check the opening times and days first!

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Great location, Yummy food!
Cons: Small portions (ok for some), Very little English, Short opening times
  • Shauna333 Shauna333

I forgot to say, as well as the plate of goodies, i got a bowl of brown rice. You could choose your grain (although I can't remember the options!) and I think I had some miso too

taralea
taralea

Delicious Macrobiotic food made with love

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

I really enjoyed eating here. Myogaya is now completely vegan. The korokke was so delicious.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Myogaya: