Mustard Seed Market - Montrose

Natural food market with an attached cafe. Locally owned and operated, and features many local suppliers and growers. more-less
3885 W Market St (West Market Plaza)
Akron, Ohio 44303
330-666-7333

Open Mon-Thur 9am-9pm, Fri-Sat, 9am-10pm, Sun 10am-7pm.

First Review by vegman444
Missyraerae
Missyraerae

Amazing

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

I have been looking for a semi vegan grocery store for a very long time! While I was browsing, I was very overwhelmed with all the vegan options. Ranch, mayo, frozen pizzas, large variety of cheeses ( strawberry cream cheese), vegan shrimp, & so much more. It is like the whole store is very vegan friendly! I went upstairs to order some food to go. I was very disappointed that they were out of gardien chikn. I settled for a tempeh Rueben, which was very good!! I would definitely order that again. The waiter was very nice & polite. She served me water while I looked at the menu. The cafe was actually quite fancier than a cafe. Nice intimate feel.

Pros: A lot of vegan options, Great food, Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive
Raydkii
Raydkii

Good eats

3 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

Good place to shop and eat. The drawback is that it is also a place that sells and serves dead animal parts and puts some vegan food in the same spots as the dead animal parts forcing us to watch earthling over and over again. Still the best market in our area.

Pros: Some raw vegan options
Cons: Must view dead parts of animals
RunVeg
RunVeg

Try the quinoa nachos!

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

We love this place and came here for my birthday. The milkshakes are amazing, but they are so expensive if you get them vegan. Their sandwiches are awesome--try the reuben! I like their salads, too. Throw some tofu or Gardein on there and it's a meal. Oh! You must try the quinoa nachos. Amazing.

I do wish they had hot sides, like french fries. I can't help it that I want fries with my amazing veggie burger.

Pros: Quinoa nachos, Great sandwiches, Great salads
Cons: I want French fries! , On the expensive side.
bigbunny
bigbunny

We love the Reuben!

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

Try the seitan Reuben with vegan dressing & Daiya cheese! It seems to be all of our gang's favourite overall.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 02, 2012

Pros: Vegan-able, Responsible in the community, Knowledgeable
ohmisscaroline
ohmisscaroline

LOVE.

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2010

Oh, the Mustard Seed is wonderful. They have the best selection of vegan food, vitamins, cruelty-free cosmetics, and wonderful pre-made food. My wife and I like to have dinner at the cafe upstairs before shopping. They have excellent smoothies, and most things on their menu either are vegan or can be made vegan. The servers are really knowledgeable, too! The only thing I don't like is how expensive their groceries are.

arksugarhoney2000
arksugarhoney2000
  • non-vegetarian

I love the Mustard Seed!

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

Ok so, anybody who does not like this place is crazy! The only thing I would ever say negative is that it is expensive!Thye have a great selection of all kinds of foods and products. I actually used to work thee a long time ago,and they take the utmost care in their kitchen to prepare the best food they can! One of my very favorite things in the whole place is their chicken salad at the deli, mmmmmmmmmm! If you go there,get a wheatgrass shot at the juice bar-it will make your day! The brunch on sunday is very good,but again-expensive!

Pros: great selection, fresh foods, caring staff
Cons: expensive
Jimbomatic
Jimbomatic

Don't buy into the bad reviews

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2008

The Mustard Seed...though not 100% vegetarian...is a mainstay of my diet.

First, the grocery: this store has everything, but everything, a vegetarian or vegan could want or need. In addition to the shelf items, the deli is WONDERFUL. The staff is always there with a smile (at least most of them), and the selection is always wonderful AND healthy. I buy most of my groceries here. When comparing the produce to a standard market like Buehler's or Giant Eagle...well, there's just no comparison. The organic produce at a regular market looks like it's been on the shelf for weeks.

As for the restaurant, I have NEVER had a bad meal there...and I've eaten many of them. The selection of vegetarian and of vegan meals is great, and the wait staff caters to those on veg diets. Unlike other restaurants, they don't look at you like you're crazy.

Absolutely the best restaurant in Akron....bar none. Even beats out the Vegeteranian...though the Seed does serve non-veg diets, so one must be careful.

There needs to be one of these type stores/cafes in every city in the nation. I pity those that don't have one.

Pros: Great selection, Great food
Cons: Busy on Wednesdays (Seniors day)
vegman444
vegman444

Disappointing

2 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

It hurts me to write this review, but sometimes the truth hurts.

I have eaten at the Mustard Seed many times over the years, and this last time may be my last. The food isn't cutting it any longer, the service is slow at best, and the portions at lunch are a joke. They claimed that the juices were fresh squeezed, yet when mine arrived I could tell right away that it was not. The server then admitted that only the carrot was made there. Uh, gee, that's quite a big thing to leave off the menu. The bread was stale, and the server seemed bored. Very disappointing since I had enjoyed so many meals here before.

Now, if I could give negative stars to the grocery part of the Mustard Seed, I most definitely would! The prices are completely insulting to vegetarians and regular folk as well. Nearly TWICE the price of Trader Joe's on the same exact items! Granted, TJ's buys in bulk and can afford to sell things at a discount, but TWICE?! The produce is good, and mostly organic, for that they still get kudos. One final thing: Someone needs to tell the Mustard Seed to re-label their baked goods. They sell certain cakes and cookies as being "vegan", yet they contain regular old white refined sugar, which as you know, is certainly NOT vegan.

Someone needs to open up a Trader Joes in Akron ASAP to force the Mustard Seed to lower their prices!

Pros: Produce in the market, smoothies in the cafe, teriaki tofu noodle dish
Cons: "Fresh" juices are not so fresh, PRICES ARE OUTRAGEOUS in the market, Service in the cafe needs improvement

Dear Owner and Manager of Mustard Seed Market - Montrose: