Vegan and vegetarian food restaurant. Offers weekend brunch til 2pm. Has gluten free choices. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, American

First Review by mtp51053
RaeMyss
RaeMyss

Probably my favorite restaurant in Chicago...

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

Oh goodness... this place has such a place in my heart. I love it that much. Whenever I'm back home in Chicago visiting family I drag them here as often as I can. Most times I've been there I've had a different server, and they're always friendly, quick and helpful.

Their Tarragon Chicken wrap is friggin incredible! Every time I go there it's like this war between trying something new and going for what I know I love... I'm determined to try the vegan lasagna next time I'm in town, because I've heard awesome things about it. Their soups have all been consistently good. For my side I usually roll with their sauteed greens or their house salad.

I can't recommend this place enough.. Munch is a small, cozy, independently run operation, so if you're ever in the Chicago area--do yourself a favor and make your way out there and check them out!

Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Good food, great desserts

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

This is a small cafe in a quaint little area of Oak Park. It's cozy and comfortable and the food is pretty good, prices are reasonable, and the service is friendly and quick. I particularly like the desserts. They have a very good variety of baked goods, both gluten free and with gluten. Their brunch is very good. I tend to eat here mostly for brunch, but I have brought meat eating clients here for lunch and they really liked it.

Pros: Good Food, Great Desserts, Fair Prices
Mcarlsonlane
Mcarlsonlane

Great vegetarian/mostly vegan spot

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

Really great veggie spot. Nice staff, comfy, yet stylish dining area. Appetizers, sandwiches, entrees, smoothies, desserts.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 10, 2012

Also, mostly vegan and they have Gluten-Free/Vegan options.

Akspain
Akspain

Veggie heaven

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2014

Great options for vegetarians and vegans, but also just plain great food. Cornmeal pancakes, Rueben sandwich, kale salad are all fabulous. Healthy, tasty smoothies!

Cons: Cash only, though they have an ATM
Kyleigh100
Kyleigh100

Love Munch

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

I've been to Munch several times and each time I've had a wonderful experience. The Staff is super helpful, very friendly and very accommodating. The restaurant has a really nice atmosphere and down-home kind of feel. You feel very welcomed eating here, and the love and care put into the food shows.

I've had several different things off the menu so far.

For appetizers i'd have to say my favorites are the "beefy" nachos which are made with seitan and are phenomenal!

The lentil soup and the Kale Protein salad are also very good. Also their seasonal soups have been great.

Their Philly is great, and I normally get a side of House Salad which is good, or the kale salad which is great, but their mashed sweet potatoes are also to die for if you're in the mood for them!

The Tarragon Instedda Chicken Wrap is very good.

The Groovy Plate is great simple fare if you want to keep things light and healthy. The Veg Lasagna is awesome, and Enchilada's are good too!

Definitely worth the trip!

Pros: Consistently good food, Good prices, Good Parking
Cons: Wish there was greater variety , Wish there were More Vegan Appetizers
Matestoni
Matestoni

Great!

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

I love Munch! I go there every time I'm in Oak Park to visit family. They have great vegan options, ranging from delicious (and higher calorie) comfort foods, to delicious and nutritious salads. The only negative is that it can be hard to choose among the many great menu options. I particularly enjoy their kale salad. I strongly recommend this restaurant.

mariec1
mariec1

Delicious Food

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

Went for lunch & loved the black bean burger. Great desserts too. If they had more kid options would give 5 stars!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 18, 2013

Pros: Tasty Vegan Food, Fast Friendly Service
Cons: Poor Choices For Kids
vegette
vegette

Quick and Enjoyable

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

I was at a seminar in the Chicago area and used by Happy Cow app to find a restaurant to try on my way back to Detroit. Munch sounded delicious and off we went. The server was very friendly and helpful. I ordered the breakfast burrito (with quinoa, tofu, beans and a nice spicy salsa on the side), my mom got the seitan tostadas with cow cheese. The meals came out within minutes. I had a very good coffee and the server suggested a delicious berry tea for mom. I wanted dessert (they had shakes, smoothies and floats with natural sodas), but I just couldn't make any more room.
Updated from previous review on Monday June 17, 2013

Pros: Variety of vegan items, Desserts!, Fast and friendly service
Cons: I don't live in Chicago, A bit noisy, but lively, Cash only
cookie1908
cookie1908

Great food, great service

4 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

Being from Oak Park (but living elsewhere now) I was surprised and excited to see a vegan/vegetarian restaurant listed on Happy Cow. My husband and I went to brunch at Munch and were very happy with our meals. We had the breakfast sandwich, cornmeal pancakes, and the comfort breakfast (tofu scramble, toast, potatoes). We also had the tropical smoothie and green smoothie. Everything was delicious. The only complaint was the tofu scramble needs a bit more seasoning, my husband wasn't impressed with the lack of flavor. We absolutely loved the breakfast sandwich and both smoothies were amazing. Their homemade bacon is incredible - we went back two mornings in a row to get it! Great service - especially with the server from Detroit! :)

Pros: Great tasting food, Nice atmosphere (music, etc.), Good service
Cons: Extra cost for organic syrup, Extra cost for bananas/nuts on pancakes, Too many extra costs in general
Petesternz
Petesternz

Nice little spot

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

We came to Munch recently for brunch, and enjoyed it a great deal. The pancakes were absolutely delicious, and the hit for us. They were cornmeal and had a lovely texture. My tofu scramble was less good, but still adequate, though some nicer bread would have been appreciated. The staff were super friendly and the prices fair. A bit on the small side, so get there early to be sure of seating!

veganmiss
veganmiss

Great Little Place

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2011

To begin, we had the spicy "beef" nachos made vegan. It was topped with Daiya and Upton's Naturals chorizo. It could have been a bit warmer, but there were probably 30 people at this little cafe so I don't blame them for the heat factor. It was a pretty filling appetizer so I would get again. The radishes were a bit confusing, though. I'm not sure why they were on the nachos.

For entree's, my friend had the vegan lasagna with the soup of the day. I had a bite of each. The soup was excellent. Perfect for a fall day. The lasagna was also very good! I would definitely get this again as it looked like a filling entree portion. I ordered the Philly "steakless" sandwich. They use Upton's Naturals gyro style seitan which one can only get wholesale through the company. I've had it before by ordering bulk and freezing with the Chicago Vegan Co-Op. I really love Upton's Naturals wholesale products (even more than the retail seitan they have). You don't see it too often in restaurants, so I was really excited to see it on Munch's menu. I'm also glad that they're supporting a local vegan company like Upton's. The sandwich was a bit salty for my taste. Again, this could be because they were rushing to fill so many orders. It was filled with Daiya and sauteed mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers. The side I got was sauteed greens. These were really exceptional. I'm a bit of a dark leafy green freak (I eat raw kale salad 4-6 times a week), so I always go for the greens when I see 'em on the menu. The meal was so big, I took half the sandwich home for later. We were much too full for dessert, but the cafe offers vegan milk shakes, cookies, and brownies.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of_19.html

Pros: very vegan-friendly, great location
Cons: small seating area
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Munch

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

I had never had a reason to venture out to Oak Park until recently (with the opening of Munch). I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised to find it located in such a charming area of Oak Park - it was very cute. We ordered the Philly steak sandwich and the black bean burger - both were pretty fabulous. I especially liked the garlic vegan mayonnaise, which I believe to be made from Vegenaise, and our side order of potatoes was also very flavorful. My bf is not vegan and he mentioned that he'd be likely to return on his own...that says a lot. I also would suggest this place for lunch or as a non-fancy dinner. This place is a solid 4, but I'm adding a star given the location.

rockcita
rockcita

What a find!

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

This terrific little restaurant could easily sway meat eaters to give up their animal devouring ways. Featuring great American food, this tiny (20 seats) establishment is neat and tidy with friendly and quick service. Some of the entree offerings are:lasagna, BLT, pulled "pork" sandwich, a variety plate called the Groovy Plate, and there are also several salads, soups and desserts. Prices are reasonable and portions are good sized. There is one restroom which is large, clean and well stocked. A self pay parking lot is only steps away.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, fair prices
mtp51053
mtp51053

Munch For Lunch or Any Other Time!

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

Munch restaurant opened today at 11:00 am. I was the first one to welcome Oak Park's only vegan/vegetarian restaurant. The minute you walk into the place, you are greeted warmly by the waitstaff and owner Robin. Being a brand new place, it was immaculate and the tables were nicely spread about. There is outdoor seating also where both 2 and 4 footed friends are welcomed.

I ordered the Philly cheesesteak with mashed sweet potatoes and a glass of organic lemonade. The philly cheesesteak was awesome! Served on a crusty baguette, it consisted of marinated "steak" seitan with mushrooms, onions and green peppers with your choice of real cheese or vegan mozzarella. The mashed sweet potatoes were out of this world! I tasted a hint of banana and brown sugar which was a pleasant surprise. The organic lemonade was just the right amount of sweet and tart to quench anyone's thirst on such a hot day.

All in all, Munch restaurant will not disappoint the vegan/vegetarian nor those who are not. All their food is homemade and fresh. The people there are the friendliest you will ever meet. I give it 5 stars and am so grateful that finally I have a place that I can go and eat that caters to my taste and beliefs. Good job everyone!

Pros: Food, staff, clean
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Munch: