Mumokuteki Cafe and Foods

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers vegan food menu except for fish; note that miso soup reported contains fish stock, Apr 2013. Non-vegan dishes are marked with a fish symbol. Wide selection of food and dessert. Also operates a clothing store in the basement. In the Teramachi-dori pedestrian arcade, between Rokkaku-dori and Takoyakusshi-dori, on the 2nd floor. Looks for its restaurant sign with photos and food prices, on the ground floor. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Western, Non-veg
2F, Teramachi-dori (/near Shijo Teramachi)
Kyoto, Japan
075-2296996

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by wanderingvegans
iwanttofu
iwanttofu

Nice place, tricky to spot from the arcade

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2014

We walked down the Teramachi arcade, HappyCow app in hand and missed it the first time. Walking back up (Shijo to Sanjo direction), however, we saw the large sign on the ground outside a street style clothing shop pointing that way. no wonder we didnt see it coming from the other direction. It is on the first floor and you can't see inside from the arcade. i remember noting it was near a 100Y shop. you can also access it from the other side (gokomachidori) which is not in the arcade. we got a table right away (weekday night) and it was reasonably busy. Menu was huge. of course everything i wanted from the dinner sets had fish in. I understood this meant it was only the dashi in the miso soup, however, erred on the side of caution and ordered the curry udon. it was great but a huge bowl, regretted ordering the large size! my accompanying carnivore had risotto, which he said was palatable but certain not a patch on italian risotto. the staff were friendly and spoke enough english to order comfortably. i ordered some weird green smoothie which wasnt available anymore so there was some miscommunication around that and i got something else. whatever, not unusual in japan. the atmosphere was very nice and relaxed. would definitely go again, next time in Kyoto.

Pros: Central location in arcade, Big menu, Other veg places nearby
Cons: Not visible from arcade
joesdreamcoat
joesdreamcoat

1 hour wait for nothing to write home about

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2014

i'm not a militant vegan, the whole "also serves fish" thing doesn't bother me. waiting for one hour to be summoned into a seemingly not very crowded restaurant does. to our fault, we turned up on a saturday evening during peak dinner time, the waitresses (who were friendly enough) asked first if we had a reservation and when found out we didn't, handed us a number and were told to head downstairs in the waiting room, packed with other impatient and hungry looking locals. the system from there is what gets confusing, you're not summoned when your number is up. you have to make a wild guess if it's time to go up and be seated yet. some people got up and never came back, whilst others made their way up the stairs and moments later started stomping back down with dejected expressions.

after about 60-75 minutes (and 5 failed attempts at presenting our table docket). we were seated. the food came out relatively quickly. didn't order any drinks because i'll just down Strong Zeroes out front of the combini thank you. I ordered the soy milk ramen, my friend ordered the "other" ramen. both were somewhat bland, without many vegetables and using spaghetti for the ramen noodles. i suppose it might be tricky to find egg free ramen noodles? regardless, it seemed like the price we paid was for atmosphere and not much else. we also ordered a burger with fries. the burger was ok, but wouldn't fill anybody remotely hungry. the chips/fries seemed microwaved. we then left very quickly keeping in mind the other soon to be disappointed folks all cramed into the waiting room as we had been for the past hour.

would maybe recommend if it's the middle of the day and/or you have a reservation? but there are far better places that will leave you twice as full and satisfied for the same price.

Pros: easy to get to, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: average food, waiting room, over priced
Kevin_C
Kevin_C

Great - wish I could go back

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

Really liked this place good for lunch & dinner. I recommend the Katsu Curry!

LisaLisaLisa
LisaLisaLisa

Good food, strange concept

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

Nearly vegan restaurant in central Kyoto.

About the food:
Good food. Been there several times and had a tasty tofu-burger don (see picture) for 950 yen (L-size). Doria was very good, made with soy milk and coconut flakes to add some crustiness. Ramen is quite okay but doesn’t have a strong flavour - mostly tasted like coconut milk really - and sadly uses spaghetti instead of ramen noodles. Quiche was absolutely delicious but.. very tiny. Tofu cheese cake tasted really good but looked brown instead of white.

If you want to save some money:
If you order coffee with your food ask for the 200 yen discount and not the A-set (same coffee 40 yen more expensive).
Wednesday is ladies day with 10% off (it says ladies only but I went with my boyfriend and we both got the discount).

About the ingredients:
They do not use meat, eggs, milk or white sugar, but they do use fish stock and honey. However the non-veggie dishes are clearly marked. If there is a fish mark next to a set menu this means there is fish broth in the miso soup AND in the side dishes. The drinks with honey are called honey blablabla (soy-kinako-honey and ginger-honey) so that’s crystal clear as well. I must say I don’t really see the point in leaving out nearly but not completely everything that is not veggie.

Others:
There is an English menu.
I love the interior. Very cosy, but with lots of space.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 17, 2014

Pros: Good food, Cosy but spacey, Centrally located near Kawaramachi
Cons: Fish broth and honey
joeyfalconetti
joeyfalconetti

Interesting place with a clearly marked menu

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

The place is interesting. It has a menu clearly marked with fish on the items that aren't vegetarian. My group had mixed feelings about the food. The ramen that we got had good broth, but the noodles and other content weren't great. The udon soup was a little better.
There was also some difficulty here because of the language barrier. We arrived at 20:45 and were told repeatedly that the last order is taken at 21:00. Our food came out at different times and I ended up being the only one without food after quite a while. We were unable to flag down staff and when we finally went up to the front and got someone's attention, they just repeated that the last orders were taken at 21:00. When we were able to convey to them that we had ordered a dish which didn't arrive, they were very apologetic. They gave me a bowl so that I could share food with those that did get their meals and it ended up being plenty of food.

Pros: Clearly marked menu
al30sh
al30sh

Ok food, nice atmosphere

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

Good location, hipster/foodie vibe, good menu with some english and photos of the food. Food with fish is labeled. The ginger tea with soy milk is delicious. I had the ramen which was really thick and corn-starchey (don't recommend it), we also tried the curry udon which was ok, and a trio of eggplant, squash/sweet potato and cabbage which was also ok. Portions were generous, prices were reasonable and the atmosphere is really nice for dinner.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Location, Portions were big
Cons: Too much starchy food, Food was just ok
Ayane
Ayane

love Mumokuteki but...

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2014

I really love eating at Mumokuteki, because their menu has a wide selection of dishes, sweets and fresh juices. Lately they changed their menu, so dishes which contain fish and dashi are marked now, so you can be very sure know that the food you want to eat is "safe". But sure it's sad they increased the number of fish containing food. After 3pm the number of dishes gets even more and you can choose between a lot of very nice vegan meals and opposite to other veggie places around you'll be satisfied by the quantity of almost all the meals. The previous reviews complained about the price, but I think it's a quite normal price for vegetarian food in Kyoto.

Pros: lunchtime sets (e.g. salat bar for +300¥), wide selection of dishes, very nice vegan desserts
Cons: Soy milk Ramen is made by Italian pasta, less options for lunch time, a lot of fish containing dishes
Aiyasai
Aiyasai

my absolute favourite place in kyoto - 5 stars!!!!

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Shortly after becoming vegetarian I started my semester abroad in Kyoto. So considering the last review I have to admit that when I was living in Kyoto I was not 100% strict vegetarian because it is very hard becausealmost all of the Japanese dishes contain fish stock (dashi). So regarding dashi i made compromises. Everyone has to decide for themselves. I know Japanese people are weird when it comes to vegetarianism and they might consider dashi as vegetarian...I wasn't aware that mumokuteki served dashi, but I also didn't ask the staff.
!!!!!!!!And I'm sure that everything else on the menu is vegan! They don't serve meat at mumokuteki and all the desserts are made with soy milk! So I recommend you to order the dishes without miso soup if you want to make sure.!!!!!

FOOD

I loved the food at mumokuteki. Especially the hamburger set was my favourite. The food is Japanese style with a lot of different small dishes on a tray. Some of the sets include a tea or coffee + a dessert. Considering that the price was alright but in general the prices are fairly expensive. In my opinion it is definitely worth it, though. At mumokuteki you can also get different kinds of freshly made juices. They are expensive, but delicious. My favourite dish at mumokuteki is the dessert that comes with a set or just any dessert (e.g. parfait) on the menu. The soy ice cream at mumokuteki was the best ice cream I've ever had!!! I just love it!!! :) Oh and once a week there is a discount for the ladies (I think on wednesdays)

LOCATION

A big plus of mumokuteki is its atmosphere. The design is natural, but modern. There is a lot of wood and different kinds of chairs or couches. I think it is very cozy. Mumokuteki is in the city center of Kyoto, close to Teramachi. It is very popular, so at night time on weekends you probably will have to wait for a table. Mumokuteki consists of the restaurant upstairs and a clothing store/second hand shop downstairs. I also loved the clothing store! it is very expensive since the material of the clothes is 100% organic and cotton, so I couldn't afford to buy something besides earrings and a purse, but it is still fun to look around the shop.

STAFF

The staff is young and very friendly. I don't know about their ability to speak English since I can speak Japanese. But everytime I was there I saw a few tourists, so I think they can speak English.

Overall, mumokuteki turned out to be my favourite place in Kyoto. Too bad i only discovered it at the end

Pros: Amazing food and desserts (vegan), atmosphere, style, location
Cons: price, but definitely worth it!!!
lemurcat
lemurcat

THE MISO SOUP CONTAINS FISH

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

Appalling. Different waitresses have different ideas of how much of the menu is vegan. Today I asked what on the menu was vegan. "Everything." When my food came, I said "I'm sure I don't need to ask but is there fish stock in the miso soup?" THERE IS. The rice dish was bland, the pasta salty, you cannot take out anything. Everything is expensive. You can eat better and often cheaper at many other places nearby. This place is at best a last-ditch resort for when Matsuontoko is closed (which it was today). The tiramisu was okay, I guess.

Pros: you can get a point card, there are some soft chairs, no ax murderers so far
Cons: Staff doesn't know what's vegetarian, Expensive, Not so tasty
wanderingvegans
wanderingvegans

Amazing parfait

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2010

Mumokuteki has the most amazing vegan parfait for around 800 yen. Also has vegan tofu cheesecake and vegan mains- just ask for the list of dishes that are vegan and they are happy to help. We ate the curry set and fried tofu balls with tofu tartare sauce and salad.

Mumokuteki has no meat, no eggs, no milk, no sugar and is very popular so we had to wait for a table at lunch time.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mumokuteki Cafe and Foods: