Mukundas Kitchen - Vegetarian & Vegan Restaurant serves large size and small size course meal like lentil soup, vegetable curry on rice, pakora with chutney and dessert. No egg, onion, or garlic used. Jan 2013 reported change of ownership; previously named Hare Krishna Food For Life, and then Govinda's. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian
286 Karangahape Rd, Newton
Auckland, New Zealand
09-3007585

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by misssakura
todd.henry
todd.henry

so good

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

used to eat here for lunch just about every day when i worked just off k rd.

its cheap and good. not everything is vegan so be sure to ask before ordering. if u have a few gold coins you will definitely leave with a full belly.

Pros: cheap, give student discounts
Cons: none really
dumpling
dumpling

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

Need more of these little cafes. Would have loved to have one on Dominion Road. Cheap as and devine. No onion and garlic wahooo. I love the curd steaks in tomato sauce and the samosa and that desert with custard mmm. I just made myself hungry.

Pros: cheap, no onion or garlic, pure
Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

SO GOOD!!

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

I have been here numerous times and have taken friends, veg or not, here. Its so good for students like myself who have a tight wallet. $5 can get you a great filling lunch. And taking away some pakoras for just $2 that will certainly fill me up for afternoon tea is really something very hard to get in the city! Always happy to pop by and plus, the staff are friendly and there are lots of seats.

Pros: Really good value, Delicious food, Lots of seating

Shriya
Shriya

Yum!

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2010

It is a fantastic feed for just $6.00!! Cheap cheap!!Nice & friendly staff who are more than happy to serve you and a peaceful atmosphere:) A good place to go to if you don't have much money in your wallet and you're looking for a decent feed. See for yourself! You're going to love it:) :) The only con is the restaurant is a bit on the small side and it can get a bit noisy (but on a positive note atleast that makes it nice & cozy)

Pros: Friendly staff, Big portions, good value
Cons: Noisy
philjdomm

Simon1234
Simon1234

Quick tasty eat

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2009

Like stepping back in time into the 70's - high ceilings. Food was nice - very very spicy could just handle it - friendly staff. Bit cold in side though. Worth a visit.

Pros: Tasty, Retro
Cons: Cold
Jeff Sanders
Jeff Sanders

Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare Hare...

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2009

Cheap and filling. Right in the center of Auckland's seedy K-Rd, this is by far the best value for money restaurant if you want a vegan meal without the options. Slap five bucks in their hand and they'll slap a filling rice and poppadum meal with a tasty sauce on your plate. large - hard to finish meal, but I'm not sure if that's the repetitive Hare Krishna music that drills your brain to the point of evacuation. Besides the music it gets the job done. Be sure to ask for the dairy free (vegan) option.

Pros: Price, quantity, quick service
Cons: Variety, music
misssakura
misssakura

Good for lighter wallets

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2007

I tried this restaurant on a cold, rainy and miserable day when my wallet had taken a substantial beating. My partner and I ordered one platter between us. I'm happy to say that it was a substantial meal even when shared. I won't lie and say the food is amazing but it's good, affordable stomach filler. I don't think the meal was vegan but I felt content with the variety we had been given. The decor is a bit gloomy.

Pros: Cheap, Variety of food in 1 meal, Charity based cafe
Cons: A little bit bland, Often not vegan, A bit gloomy
  • amber_downthewells amber_downthewells

The $4/$5 thali is vegan except for the dessert, though they are pretty good about giving you extra pakoras if you don't want the desert! Of course, the paneer and lasagna are lacto-ovo.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mukundas Kitchen: