Mostly a takeout place with 20 tables for seating. Price: Inexpensive more-less

Mon-Fri 8:00am-7:00pm, Sat 9:00am-5:00pm

First Review by moonwomyn13
MichelleKreidler
MichelleKreidler

This place is a great find!

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2015

Ms. Julie has great vegan and other healthy food choices. I LOVE her baked goods, she has the BEST brownies ever...and they are whole grain and vegan:) Enjoyed her Swiss Chard Lasagna and Chili.

Pros: Locally grown/seasonal food, YUMMY, Friendly staff
Cons: The curb appeal is non existent
  • JulieCostell JulieCostell

thank you Michelle...so glad you enjoyed your visit and you are right curb appeal sucks especially in winter..in summer my herb garden along the fence makes up for our weird spot!

Passout
Passout

Good healthy vegan food

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2014

A healthy vegan (except for honey) restaurant that serves some oil free items. The food is very good. It is well named because the atmosphere is very much like walking into someone's kitchen and being served their homemade food.

I have had many of the items like the Hemppattywich, Stuffed Pepper Casserole, Beet Greens Casserole, Swiss Chard Lasagna, Kale Soup, Tunisian Sweet Potato Stew, Sloppy Mac, and the Falafel Wrap.

Some items are always on the menu and others come and go. There is always something yummy, interesting and healthy at Ms. Julie's Kitchen.

It is also like a little shop with some items from her gardens, cookies, brownies, kale chips, Sweet Potato Spice cake, frozen waffles, and other tasty items.

My only complaints are that it can be expensive if you eat a lot of food like I do and they occasionally use some honey so you always have to ask.

Pros: Healthy including some oil free items, Organic, local, ingredients, Quick service
Cons: Not 100% vegan - look out for honey, Can be expensive if you eat a lot, Poor location
  • JulieCostell JulieCostell

hey Passout...thanks for the positive review...next time you come please notice that we upped our container sizes so you get to eat MORE...wootwoot!!

Vegetarian1994
Vegetarian1994

It was ok...

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2014

I wanted so badly to love this all vegan, locally grown organic produce restaurant in my hometown, but I just didn't. I ordered the sloppy macaroni and cheese and neither I, nor my macaroni and cheese obsessed child were fans. Of the others in our dining party, one had a pretty decent dish, while the other ordered soup and it also just wasn't good (and was cold). Aside from the food, this is a really different kind of restaurant. As was said in previous reviews...really low key. I was confused during ordering as I tried to figure out how to order and whether the chalkboard was the menu or just daily specials (it was the menu). Additionally, our table was sticky and didn't appear to have been cleaned after the previous diner. I wanted to give this restaurant another shot, but just wasn't motivated enough by my first experience to return during my visit stay.

• JulieCostell JulieCostell

dear Vegetarian1994, we are so sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to our kitchen. yes you are correct that we are very low key but we work hard to serve up great food always. please consider giving us another visit...and tell us when you come so we can offer you a treat on us!

ConchHiss
ConchHiss

Ms. Julie's Kitchen

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2014

I just started eating here during the summer of 2014 and wish I would have gone sooner. Hemppatty sandwiches are great. Black bean and falafel pitas seem to be a mainstay. Love the sloppy mac n cheese. I enjoy all the gluten free breads and cookies. The Plant Kingdom Bakery also operates out of her kitchen, and their hemp seed snack bars are so delicious. Most dishes are 7-$9.00 each and snacks are 2-$4.00. They grow their own organic produce on urban farm lots in the Akron area.

Pros: Delicious, fresh and fast, Reasonable pricing, Great community resourcing
  • JulieCostell JulieCostell

dear ConchHiss, thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review...come see us again soon!

Debra Winter
Debra Winter

Wonderful food

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

We stopped while traveling through Akron. The food was amazing. We had the Cheesy kale bake and the mock tuna sandwich. The ladies at the restaurant were so friendly and kind. They made us feel very comfortable. It is a very relaxed atmosphere which I really like. If I'm in Akron again, I will definitely return.

• JulieCostell JulieCostell

dear Debra Winter, thank you for writing a good review for us...so glad you enjoyed our kitchen! come again when you are in town!

Il0veyouAlexis
Il0veyouAlexis

Yummy in my tummy!

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2014

My boyfriend and I went this evening. I am vegetarian, while he prefers meat. All in all, I was taken back by this restaurant. It's VERY low key. You walk in, there's the owner right there greeting you. There's a black board with what you can pick from, no menu was given. No drinks were given either. You just pick one up from the fridge. You also pick up your own silverware and napkin. There's not only food to be served, there's lots of things sold such as cookies, hemp, other vegan items. Which was pretty interesting.
Now the food!
My boyfriend bought the hempatty, while I bought the felafle . I really enjoyed the hempatty, but did not like the felafle.
I can't wait to come back and try more.
Very interesting place, people, and atmosphere!
Check it out if you get the chance!

Pros: All vegan, Inexpensive, Other products for sale
Cons: Not served, Uncomfortable (for those new people), No menu
  • JulieCostell JulieCostell

hi Il0veyouAlexis, thanks for the yummy review! we are certainly low key for sure...homey at best...that said we are always wanting everyone to feel welcome and comfortable here...please come visit us again!

divancic
divancic

Fabulous!

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2013

This restaurant is fabulous! When you walk in you are greeted by a friendly staff in a very homey atmosphere. The food is delicious. I had a spicy black bean burger which was full of flavor. My husband enjoyed his falafel sandwich and our friend said the 13 bean chili was really good. Also sold at the restaurant are homemade vegan treats, like brownies, energy bars, breads, etc. Everything we tried was delicious. The prices are comparable to that of a non vegan restaurant--not cheap but not expensive. The only complaint I have is they use honey (which i do not consider vegan) in some of their treats and I didn't know this until after I ate one. I'm really not complaining tho because the ingredients are labeled on everything and I simply failed to read the label. I definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Homey Environment
Cons: Uses Honey In Treats
  • JulieCostell JulieCostell

dear divancic, thanks for the great review! sorry about the honey...we are only using honey in one product now and it is from our beehives at our gardens...our energy bar...please come visit us again!

Kolange
Kolange
  • non-vegetarian

Vegan fare non vegans will love....

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2013

I am neither vegan nor vegetarian.......but I love this joint.....I have eaten in the restaurant twice and have gotten take out once.....The food is delicious......the stuffed peppers, Not Rib sandwich and collard greens are so so so good!!! The chocolate chip cookie...not so great....I will be back and I will bring friends with me......good good food except for the cookie :-)

Pros: Good Food, Good Portions, Quaint / Cute Aptmosphere
  • JulieCostell JulieCostell

hey Kolange, thanks for the review...sorry so long for me to respond! we tweaked the choc chip cookie recipe and it is quite addicting...come back and grab one!

Brew99
Brew99

It's Vegan but....

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

Been waiting to test out this restaurant for ages after reading a few good reviews. Everything is supposed to be local, fresh and organic. A few options are gluten-free but you have to ask. There are a about 5 options for entrees. We ordered one sandwich and it was terrible. We have been vegan for two years now and it was the worst "vegan" sandwich. It was pasty and not at all good. I didn't eat my half of the sandwich and left all the homemade sauce. There were a lot of older restaurant customers so I assume since the meals are very bland, the older generations will enjoy more than younger ones. There was also just one employee and she didn't seem to be pleased to have customers. Maybe it was just the day but I can honestly say it was very uncomfortable to dine in (which I'm assuming you can't dine out since we weren't given an option even though we wanted to dine out). Would have given 1 cow if possible.

Pros: Vegan, Local Produce, Available
Cons: EXPENSIVE!!!!, Not welcoming or comfortable, Bland Tasting Food
RoyT
RoyT

Wish I lived closer!

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

Was traveling through the Akron, OH area and found Ms. Julie's Kitchen on the Happy Cow iPhone app. What a pleasant surprise! The food was wonderful (had the stuffed cabbage). There are no vegan restaurants within in a 50 mile radius of where I live. I wish there was a 'Ms. Julie's Kitchen' near by. My highest recommendation to anyone looking for vegan food in the Akron, OH area.

Pros: Great food, Wonderful staff
bigbunny
bigbunny

Best hippy food hangout in Akron!

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

Always fresh & fabulous, Miss Julie does vegan well! Not one for using anything processed, it's almost always whole food freshly made. Menu changes daily. Shops locally & sources responsibly. Not only good cooked food but also raw treats, locally produced baked good, seasonal & local items to take home and KALE CHIPS! :-) Responsible in the community, co-hosts film nights with The Akron Peace Project and knows her stuff about both vegan & raw foods eating. Talk to her!

Pros: Fresh, Ethical, Friendly
Cons: Not a massive place, Varying hours

veggiefox
veggiefox

pretty good

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2011

Pretty good stuff. In cities with several vegan eateries, this place might not cut it, but in Akron, it's probably the best available. I had a burger, which was a bit burnt, but still not bad. I had a cookie, which was very good.

moonwomyn13
moonwomyn13

Simple, healthy, "hippy" food. Yum!

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

I have only eaten at Ms. Julie's once, but I will go again next time I am in the Akron area. The food is simple, but tasty and nutritious. Most dishes are vegan, save for the grilled raw cheese sandwich and the few items containing honey.

I had the edamame burger and a taste of the lasagna. Very nice. I also enjoyed the selection of raw crackers, roasted hemp seeds, salads, and other snacks. The "ham" salad, made from juicing pulp, is really refreshing and delicious with some raw crackers. The home made spicy kale chips are fabulous, although in need of a little saltiness.

Ms. Julie's food left me satisfied, yet not too full.

Pros: tasty, feels healthy

Dear Owner and Manager of Ms. Julie's Kitchen: