CLOSED: Mr Yim - Food Stall

Thai vegetarian food stall. Vegan fare includes stir fried vegetables with tofu, different kinds of rice. Pad Thai, green and red curry and a few others. There are two or three restaurants that use the same seating area. APRIL 2013 NOTE: the stall moved and is no longer at Soi Ram Buttri, please send new address & directions. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Thai, Juice bar, Fast food

First Review by PatriciaRobinson

Great veggie/vegan food for cheap

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

The menu at mr yims isnt as extensive as other places, but it is just a food stand. It has your basic thai food. Nothing fancy. The curries are good, but not fantastic. Everything mr yim makes has tofu included. This is the cheapest place i found to eat a meal that will actually fill you up. 30 baht for a plate of green/red curry is hard to beat. The place can get a bit crowded, and you almost always have to share a table with fellow diners, but thats not necasarily a bad thing. the service has always been good for me. I eat here almost daily.

Pros: cheap, mr yim, quick
Cons: noisy, crowded

Vegetarian?

3 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

Is it really a vegetarian place? I saw only one stall with a vegetarian sign on this road, and since they also served meat dishes, I didn't feel like taking any chances. Obviously not sure if I found the right one.

Cons: Serves meat?

Cheap street food

3 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

Mr.Yim's has a large menu at cheap prices- if you're a backpacker on a real budget but you're veggie, this is the place for you. We had the green curry with tofu & veg for 35 baht (inc. rice)- you can't really go wrong for that in my opinion. It wasn't the best food i've ever eaten, but it certainly wasn't the worst. It was quite plain but did the job!
It was shut one night we went down for dinner- it may have been we went down quite late, so be worth checking when he's closed :)

Pros: cheap, good portion size

No taste

2 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2012

Service is ok and people nice enough. Price is right but the food is tasteless and a bit oily. Just like putting something in your stomach because you are hungry with no enjoyment. Many many foreigners. It does the job but without much pleasure.

Great street food

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

It's a nice food stall and the only one I saw whit real vegetarian food on the menu. The taste is mostly great and one of the rare reasons to got to this area of Bangkok for me.

Pros: Quick
Cons: Often closed

Tourist Thai food

2 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2012

It's hard to find vegetarian-friendly food stands in Bangkok, so only go here in you're desperate for a cheap tofu meal. The food is flavorless and all the spices are toned down. I ordered the fried tofu with spicy basil, but was given a plate of unseasoned, soft tofu with some fried basil and no chili whatsoever. Very disappointing.

Pros: Cheap, Fun location
Cons: Flavorless

One of our fav places in Bangkok

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2011

After leaving Bangkok and going to Phuket we really missed Mr. Yim's. This is just a little seating area off to the side of Soi Rambuttri. The seating is for 3 different food carts, Mr, Yims is the only one with vegetarian and vegan options.
I have an allergy to soy-that's kinda tough in SE Asia where vegan food and tofu seem to be synonymous. At Mr. Yims it was no problem to ask for no tofu. We ate here several times. Every dish we had was awesome-tom yum and tom kha soup, fried veggies with garlic (super awesome garlic taste, not for the faint of heart). Writing this a month later I can't remember the rest of what we ate there. I just remember loving it.
A downside is that everything is stir fired-so oil is used to cook everything. The food itself wasn't super oily, you just knew that it wasn't the healthiest food you were eating. Another positive-I watched Mr. Yim make our tom yum soup one day, he makes it to order, saut├ęs the veggies in spices and adding in coconut milk-it's fantastic.
When we go back to Bangkok we will most definitely stop here.

Pros: Consistently great food, Perfect portions
Cons: Some people smoke in the seating area

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Mr Yim - Food Stall: