Mr. Natural - East Cesar

Natural food cafe and store. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, baked goods, beverages, and health products including vitamins, supplements, fresh herbs, teas, and deli items to-go. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Mexican, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by SynthVegan
veggieisland
veggieisland

It was Ok.

3 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2014

I wasn't blown away but it wasn't terrible either. The cupcakes were a little dry and their food was just Ok.

Cons: crowded
saveur
saveur

AYCE Vegan Brunch

3 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

I came for their all-you-can-eat vegan brunch which is the first Sunday of each month. It is buffet style and pretty good selection. Standard vegan items like tofu scramble, tofu migas, beans and also fried chicken and gluten-free pancakes. Crowded but manageable. I recommend arriving after noon, once the first wave has ended and the food replaced. Desserts were great.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Disappointed

3 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

How this place has managed to garner such a high rating is beyond me. It was mediocre at best. My partner and I came here for dinner on our first night in town and found the whole experience underwhelming.

First off, the setting was a bit lacking. I was well aware that this was no fancy place, but the interior looked shabby and the furniture worn out. Could really use some sprucing up. There was only one other table besides us (on a Friday night no less), so the atmosphere was kind of, hmmm, dead. I hoped the food would make up for it, but it was just passable. There were a number of other places in Austin where you can get quality vegan Tex-Mex.

They also had a big dessert selection with many vegan and gluten-free options, which was nice. I noticed some of them were even 100% whole wheat and refined sugar free. Kudos to them! We did get a piece of carrot cake to round off our meal, which was a little too sweet for my taste.

All that being said, the food was pretty cheap, so I'll give them that. Plus the staff was friendly. To me, it just felt more like a take-out cafe than a sit-down restaurant.

Pros: price, vegan/GF desserts, staff
Cons: setting, atmosphere

Creepyvegan
Creepyvegan

Love

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

I should warn you I had my wedding catered by this place I love it so much. I also had them make my wedding cake and it was amazing, lovely, and cheap! I drove 3 hrs to have my mom sample the menus when I lived in Texas and then drove bak home after eating, swear it. Vegan Mexican food. It is legit tex mex fare including tamales and milAnesa. Staff is awesome and helpful only down fall is most of the premade pastries are made with honey :(

Pros: Good food, Cheap, Everything
Cons: Honey in pastries
Dee2312
Dee2312

Awesome restaurant!

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2011

Mr. Natural - specifically their original, East-side location - is my standby for great vegetarian and vegan food. Their food is a delicious mix of Mexican food and health food.

Their lunch special is more than filling and includes a choice of fresh salad, a main dish and two sides along with a homemade corn tortilla. I highly recommend their veggie fajitas on Mondays and their veggie BBQ on Thursdays.

Mr. Natural also has awesome breakfast tacos. In addition to your choice of fillings (eggs/potatoes/beans/veggie chorizo, etc.) they load them up with crispy leaf lettuce, tomatoes, purple cabbage, onions and sprouts.

My only complaint is that they can be inconsistent with their serving sizes. That happens more often at their newer location on South Lamar.

I highly recommend Mr. Natural.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly service, Quick service
RaspyRaspy
RaspyRaspy

Great Tex-Mex

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2011

Since I moved away from home it has been difficult finding a place that serves decent Mexican food. And vegan? Forget it!
This place is more Tex-Mex, but it is great.
The tamales were really good, and the desserts were good too.

I always hear people raving about their enchiladas, but I have yet to try them. Next time, though! I will definitely come back.

Pros: Good food, Great variety
bhenrich
bhenrich

Texas Style Vegan!

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

I had my doubts when I saw the location and saw the little lunch counter back in the corner. It didn't look all that promising. They have a menu, but primarily sell from a lunch counter with prepared items. I went for the meal deal where you pick from their prepared foods. You get an entree, 2 sides and a salad. I had Tofu a la Mexicala, brown rice, tamales and cucumber salad. Everything was vegan.

I was really blown away. It was the best vegetarian Mexican food I have ever had. By far. The tofu was spicy but not too hot, the tamales were delicious and authentic, the salad had a really tangy flavor... wow!

This is not some mexican themed vegetarian place, this is truly authentic tex-mex food prepared for vegans. The prices are very reasonable and they have a small health food store and a lot of baked goods as well. I had a vegan brownie that was pretty good and a cookie that was pretty dry & bland. But who cares about baked goods when this place has so many amazing things to try. They also have prepared tamales to go- I'm planning to have a dozen in my backpack on my flight home!

Pros: Texas style mexican for vegans! , Cheap, Delicious
rvasquez
rvasquez

I love Mr. Natural!

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

Mr. Natural is some of the best vegetarian/vegan mexican food you will ever find! I have to visit here at least once if not twice whenever I am in Austin. Words cannot adequately express how much I love this restaurant. I do think that this location is the better of the two, but the one on S Lamar is open a bit later.

Pros: Awesome, Tasty, Good Price
Cons: Not in Houston
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Vegetarian Mex in Tex

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

This place is great! Probably the best vegetarian Mexican food joint I've been to since Planeta Vegetariano in Puerto Vallarta. Everything I tried was good and the staff was friendly. Theirs' are easily some of the best refried beans I've ever had!

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Generally quiet dining room
oompaprincess
oompaprincess

How Its Done

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

This is how to vegan/vegetarian mexican food. The hotsauce, and beans are to die for, and their big bakery, genius. My roommate and I still claim their beans are made with an addictive substance..but the owners have yet to get back with us on that. Try the mini tofu gorditas.

Pros: mexican done right, friendly staff, bakery
Cons: cafeteria style eating
Brad
Brad

THE place to go in Austin

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2009

The food here is very very good. Healthy vegetarian food that isn't too expensive. For the entree i always choose the mexican option as that is what they do best. After you eat your meal, get a piece of the tres leche cake, it is without a doubt the best piece of cake i have ever eaten.

happy veggie
happy veggie

Mr. Natural Rocks

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2008

We live in Dallas, but come to Austin just to eat here (maybe twice a year). We've been coming to this restaurant for over 10 years. It's our favorite vegetarian restaurant anywhere. We've traveled far and wide, eaten at thousands of restaurants, but none are better. We don't indulge in all the vitamins and supplements, and some of their food can't be all that good for you (lots of fried soy products), but everything tastes divine and everything is affordable. They also have some healthful food, like great salads and exotic juices. The only con that I can think of is limited parking and that none of the locals, most of which are Mexican, are patrons. Most people who frequent here are college students or professors.

Pros: tasty Mexican food, great buffet , can order off menu
Cons: parking, closed Sunday, closes 8 pm
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Awesome Deserts!

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2008

Mr. Natural has the best Vegan dessert ever...better than my favorite place "The Chicago Diner" [in Chicago]. I had two things for desert, the Vanilla Fruit Cake and the Vegan Brownie; when I took the first bite of the cake, I seriously questioned if it was Vegan [tasted like the real thing], it was too good be true! For my meal, I got the "Veggie Steak Sandwich". It was good, but they were out of the Vegan mayonnaise and neglected to tell me. Had I known, I would've ordered something else because it didn't taste as good without Vegan mayonnaise. Overall it was really good and I will definitely go again.

Pros: Desert
Cons: Failure to mention lack of ingredients.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mr. Natural - East Cesar: