Mr Bones BBQ

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a separate vegan menu with around 6 items: veggie burger, potato leek soup, roasted vegetable, noodles, beans and rice, sauteed watercress over rice. Small dive bar atmosphere with eclectic decor and wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Cajun, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
3007 Gulf Dr
Holmes Beach, Florida 34217
941-778-6614

Open Mon-Sat 11am-9pm, Sun 12-9pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by ajgrae
CuriousMe
CuriousMe

Pleased with Mr. Bones

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

We loved eating at Mr. Bones before we went vegan, and now we love it even more for having a vegan menu in - of all places - a BBQ restaurant. We were pleased with our choices - vegan beans and rice, tamari roasted vegetables - and plan to visit again with our BBQ-loving family before we head home. A nice treat and yet another reason to love Anna Maria Island.

Pros: Unique atmosphere, Varied menu, Friendly staff
mabroda
mabroda

Big Talk, Did Not Deliver

1 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

"Don't Even Ask" is the mantra for this restaurant; they even wear it on their shirts. This phrase reminds customers not to ask for salt, pepper, etc. because the food is "expertly prepared." Our experience was anything but expert - nearly inedible.

First, it is awesome that they have a dedicated vegan menu, but the food was so poorly executed that I would not consider returning.

We ordered a rice and black beans dish and the General Moes Watercress. Both came with "candied yams" which was essentially canned yams covered in apple pie filling. The rice and beams was a scoop of rice and a scoop of beans. Neither was exceptional in any way. The watercress dish was inedible as it was Sitting in a pool of oil - the curried rice was actually submerged by .25' of oil. since it was a take-out order, perhaps it was a careless mistake by scooping too deeply in the pan, but it also shows how the food is not cooked to order.

In such a great location, it is unfortunate that this is not a viable option.

Pros: Vegan menu
Cons: Thoughtless preparation of food
  • ajgrae ajgrae

No canned yams at Mr. Bones....cooked from whole veggies, and the sauce is homemade as well. NOTHING out of a can at this restaurant. All food is cooked to order. Not to mention that the yams are not a vegan option. Maybe you should give it one more try, as so many other vegetarian's have loved it, like me, and brought others who appreciate that this is the only restaurant on AMI with as many options. So glad to have something more than salads and veggie burgers to choose from!

RobertBarr
RobertBarr

Great Vegan dishes in an unlikely place

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

This is a BBQ joint. But,several of the staff are Vegan and they have a great tasting vegan menu. The day I was there, 2 of the three daily specials were vegan as well as the normal every day items on the vegan menu. The dish I had was Roasted Veggies with Tamari sauce served with delicious curried rice and a choice of sides. I chose a home made Kim Chee. Gluten free choices are also abundant. If you are on Anna Maria Island for vacation or just for the day, Mr.Bones is worth a try. I will definitely be going back. A super place to go with your carnivore friends as everyone will be satisfied.

Pros: Varied menu, Lots of Gluten free choices
Cons: small parking lot
Chadsleaf
Chadsleaf

Best vegan veggie early!

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

Came to check out Mr. Bones BBQ vegan menu tonight and I was a little skeptical due to BBQ in the title I didn't think it would be to good. I however was very surprised to find out they had many vegan options and I decided to go with the vegan veggie burger. It was awesome it was made with quinoa and it was huge!! Well worth trying out they also have a great beer selection so check it out if your in town it's worth it!!

Liorah
Liorah

Great Food

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

As I am on vacation with my mom, I thought this island would not have a single thing I could eat. When I saw this place on here, the two very different reviews made me nervous, but we wanted dinner and decided to go. It was wonderful. The waitress that I had was highly knowledgeable, and as I went to remind her not to put cheese or mayo on the burger, she says that they only put on either if you ask for it. I had the Thai Sesame Noodle Bowl as an appetizer that I shared with my mom. It was sooooooo good! We have talked of going back just to get more of those noodles. It is definitely one of the best vegan dishes that I have had at a restaurant. There was also a vegan menu on the wall as you walked in letting you know exactly what was vegan on their menu. Great place, great people, and great ambiance. I will definitely be going back and recommend that others go as well.

Pros: Great Food, Great Staff, Great Prices
Cons: Not a lot of choices, Little parking

robeight
robeight

Not sure this place is trustworthy

1 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

My "vegan" burger came with mayonaise. I was told that it was my fault for not asking for the "vegan" burger without mayonaise. Additionally, our vegetarian black bean burrito was full of shrimp; I couldn't even find a shrimp burrito on their menu. I wouldn't trust these people to know what a vegan meal should or shouldn't contain.

ajgrae
ajgrae

Great Veg and Vegan options!

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2011

This place has something for everyone! Even though it is a barbeque restaurant, it also has some Indian, Tex-Mex....great rice dishes, and now the only vegan menu on all of Anna Maria Island! Including options such as Gen. Moe's Watercress, Veg Tikka Masala, Veg Curried Rice or Veg Fried Rice, Black Beans & Rice, Black Bean Quesadilla, Vegan Potato Leek soup, Tamari Roasted Veggies with Cilantro Fried Rice, Lentil Veggie Burger, Thai Sesame Peanut Noodle Salad, and huge salads, too.....all very yummy and good in an eclectic environment. Bring your friends who eat meat, and everyone can enjoy together. It's been a great way to bridge that gap when going out with friends -- choices for all without compromising your own dietary needs. They also cater and do carry out, and they provide a "call-ahead seating" option for those really busy nights!

Pros: Good Portions, Excellent Food, Great Beer Selection
Cons: No Delivery Service, There's only one!

Dear Owner and Manager of Mr Bones BBQ: