Serves meat, veg options available. Long-time operating, laid-back cafe with counter service. Has some vegetarian choices including breakfast burritos, organic buckwheat pancake, Caribbean plate, tofu poke salad, smoothies, and a few others. Reggae music, beach side cafe vibe. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Juice bar, American, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by vegheadhonna
cookie19
cookie19

Mozy's

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

This little funky resetraunt shack is amazing! The inside is so cute and funky. They have a mean breakfast burito too!

Pros: food, staff, atmosphere
Cons: traffic, parking, location
Guest
Guest

good food bad vibes

3 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

this is a long time favorite of mine.... maybe it was so good it spoiled the people who work here. They are rude... pretensions degrading rude, like no one is welcome. The food areas look really dirty and the hours are not something you can count on which is an annoying quality in a business. been there three times in a row to find it closed around 5. I like laid back but when applied right.... I cant help but wonder hap happened, tried going back several times.

Pros: food, price, location
Cons: cleanliness, staff, unpredictable hours
Chia
Chia

laid-back beach cafe

3 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and stopped in a couple times passing through Encinitas. Was just here in June 2012. Here's my Mozy's Cafe review.

This place seems to be a neighborhood staple and has been around for years. Locals come in to get their coffee and smoothies and grab a quick lunch.

The menu is displayed overhead above the counter. It's not all veg but veggie-friendly and vegans can specify requests. It's counter service, very laid back, simple. Surfer and reggae music play on the stereo.

I had stopped in for my morning coffee, and sat out front to just relax and soak up some sun. Mellow vibes. Then headed off to see the great beach just behind the houses in the back of the cafe, off of Neptune. To get to the beach you have to walk down the side of the cliff, and you'll find lots of surfers catching waves.

ctr1linda
ctr1linda

many vegan options

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2011

tThe vegetarian burrito with plantains was awesome as was the "happenings" bowl.

Pros: veg friendly options
Cons: no soda pop, indifferent service counter personnel
carolynreais
carolynreais
  • raw

Hours irregular- status unknown

1 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2010

I got there @ 7pm wed after readn post here w hrs listed til 830. Not only were they closed but the guy inside ignored me when i knocked! U would think even if u closed early cuz biz was slow that u wld still want to talk to potential cutomer. Very very disappointing!

EncinAdia
EncinAdia

Mozys Cafe

1 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2009

The previous owner (named Mozy) moved away and a rude, despicable, unethical man who does not give a damn about his customers has taken over. I am a strict vegan so I've been excusing inconsistent quality and unsanitary conditions at Mozy Cafe for years (b/c I live right around the corner and I like to support local neighborhood spots). But after being yelled at by the apathetic new owner who doesn't give a damn about the food service industry anymore...or the dietary restrictions of his customers...I have officially given up on Mozy Cafe.

Sure, the menu may contain multiple veggie/vegan options...but NONE of them are cooked or prepared in a manner suitable for vegetarians! Your mock-chicken/tofu/etc is cooked on the same, unclean grill in a puddle of animal fat. Once veggie ingredients are soaked in animal fat and mixed in with leftover bits of meat, they are no longer vegetarian! The owner some how does not care about this and continues to tell unsuspecting customers that the menu items are really vegetarian!

Also, he began shouting at me when I called to complain that I was at home hurling out the mouthful of eggs that I bit into after picking up a supposedly vegan burrito! He actually said "I don't see what the big deal is. Why are you taking this so personally? All restaurants make mistakes like that all day, everyday". He did not even offer to refund my money or make me another burrito!! I could not believe his attitude...he just basically shrugged his shoulders and told me to "get over it"! After another few minutes of his frustrating apathy, the owner finally admitted that his food is not really vegetarian, but he made no apologies for this violation of his customers' trust. Despicable! I had spent hundreds of dollars there over the past few years, but I will never sink another dime back into that place. I do not trust the unethical owner nor do I respect the way he runs his business. I will abstain from burritos and drive to Swami's for my acai bowls from now on.

Another biggie: [edit by staff] How it is possible to have such an unsanitary salsa bar is beyond me! But I've been here dozens of times and I have scooped up some hair in my salsa dozens of times. GROSS! I swear, they must have a cat running around the kitchen during prep time!!

If you are vegetarian DO NOT EAT HERE!

Pros: Plantains, Previous owner created a chill concept
Cons: NOT Vegetarian, Meat/Eggs mistakenly given to vegans, Closes early & on the whims of workers
mbirse310
mbirse310

clumsy kitchen

2 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2009

this used to be one of my favorite stops. i loved the carribean burrito with plantains. unfortunately, this supposed vegan delight twice had chicken in it. i was initially told that they did not grill the veggie stuff on the same grill as the meat but was later told that this was untrue. one of the service folks told me i should expect my food to be cooked along with the meat when they are busy. if you go there and you are vegan the smoothie or acai bowl are better choices.

Pros: delicious carribean food, lively atmosphere, beach feel
Cons: not careful in the kitchen, service can be slow, they close randomly - call ahead

Dear Owner and Manager of Mozy's Cafe: