Serves meat, veg options available. A pub and brewery in Boulder with a large amount of vegetarian options and a decent amount of vegan options including vegan sauces. A variety of items can be made vegan - just ask. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Non-veg
1535 Pearl St (/between Pine St and Canyon Blvd)
Boulder, Colorado 80302
303-546-0886
Closed now

Mon-Sat 11:30am-1:00am, Sun 12:00pm-1:00am

• Cash only

First Review by SynthVegan
Pociolka
Pociolka

Well informed about the needs of vegetarians

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2014

Super friendly staff told me my tempeh Ruben will be made in a separate (vegetarian) frying pan. They really sounded informed and on top of the needs of vegans and vegetarians. I really appreciate that as I know most restaurants claim to serve vegetarian food, then use pans and utensils used for meat to make them (often unwashed or just wiped).

Great beer and atmosphere. I really like this place.

Pros: Well informed, Great beer and atmosphere, Tasty
Cons: Could use a few more options
Troktagon
Troktagon

A few good vegan options

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

They have a vegan rueben that's pretty good, and a burrito than can be ordered vegan. Also, great beers. It's a place we like to go with our non-vegan friends because we can all be happy. Southern Sun is basically the same, but bigger and usually doesn't have as long of a wait.

Pros: Good beer
Cons: Few vegan options
Frosty_Yogini
Frosty_Yogini

Very limited, but excellent, vegan options

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

The Sun (Mountain Sun on Pearl and Southern Sun off Table Mesa) was a regular stop when I lived in Boulder; I was vegetarian then and, given a customizable veggie burger and several other options, had plenty of choices. I recently went back to visit Boulder and stopped in (OK, three times). I'm vegan now and it was still a great place.

The decor is fun: Boulder hippie, Grateful Dead-inspired stuff. Their beer selection is phenomenal (though they ran out of my favorite Rouge de Brouge just before I arrived). There is often a wait, sometimes a long one, but it's worth it.

One of the things I really like about the Sun is that all employees cycle through all jobs: cook, wait staff, kitchen help. They all tip-share. This means that everyone there knows exactly what's in everything on the menu. I was quickly told that the veggie burger is vegetarian, not vegan. While that was disappointing, the remaining food options were great. They were, however, only three: a portabella sandwich, a tempeh sandwich, or the veggie burrito (all minus cheese). I'm not a big mushroom or tempeh fan, so I had the burrito. Two days in a row. Since I didn't get cheese, I smothered it in salsa. Fantastic!

They also have daily specials. On my first (of three) visits this trip, they had something called the Yellow Submarine: a vegan curry. It was simply the best curry I have ever tried. I asked for the recipe, offered to pay for it, but was given it complimentary.

Yes, vegan choices are limited. Vegetarians have more choices. Nevertheless, the food that you can have here is delicious. Don't pass it by!

Pros: excellent food, knowledgeable, helpful staff, incredible beer
Cons: often a long wait, limited vegan options, can be noisy

Blohmer
Blohmer

Hit the spot!

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

On our first in boulder we enjoyed some tasty beers and good food. It was. Busier than expected On a Monday night but was worth it. Staff was excellent from knowledgeable recomendatiOns of beers to quick service. Food was better than avg. bAr food and had Plenty of veg options. Special of the day tempeh wrap was our favorite dish/

Pros: Friendly service , Decent options for kids , Wide variety of beers
Cons: Crowded
DonniP
DonniP

Veg Friendly Brew Pub

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

Focus is on the beer, but the food is good, too. Solid vegan & vegetarian options.

Pros: Friendly staff, Happy atmosphere
Cons: Often crowded
PuppyGirl
PuppyGirl

Great veg options and atmosphere

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2011

The veg options were numerous the day that we dined and our food was tasty. I had the burrito and my husband had a tofu wrap that was on special. Much of what made the experience enjoyable was the atmosphere at Mountain Sun. Energetic without being crazy, with games available to play while having a drink or waiting for your food (though the food does not take long, so it isn't necessary to have a game to play). I also really enjoyed their beer, though I will admit I did not ask if it was vegan so look into that before ordering if you need. Also, go early or expect a wait.

Pros: numerous veg options, great beer, fun atmosphere
Cons: busy
BlissingOut
BlissingOut

BEST RESTURANT IN BOULDER

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

I cant believe the low reviews, I get the same sandwich here every time - tempeh ruban - and pick a new home-brewed beer. Its amazing!! My non-veggie parents love the stuff they get - I cant speak for that - and if your into the jam scene the music/decor is AWESOME.

Is the selection large? Well no, but its not a big selection for any food, vegi/vegan or meat. Its a small menu. And if you aren't vegan you can eat 75% of the menu - like the somehow amazing quesadillas. Also, from what I've seen, they can whip you up something off menu pretty easily.

All the workers switch jobs, so your waiter one week is the cook the next, and tips are communal. If this wasnt cash only (who has cash??) i'd eat here every day.

Oh! Word to the wise - this place is small and gets super crowded. Its worth the wait, and they usually pass around free food to get you through, but dont come here expecting fast food.

Pros: Amazing Food!, Amazing home-brewed beer, Great music
Cons: Cash Only, Very Popular = Very crowded
  • Gabe Gabe

Small menu which is great if you're NOT vegan, small and crowded, don't take credit cards, [edited] jam band music - I think you answered your own question about why there are poor reviews.

Munchi-chi
Munchi-chi

Great beer

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

Yet again, I am surprised at seeing this listing on HC. Though you can get some vegan items, its a far cry from being mostly or even half vegan friendly. Seems to be some confusion on what is vegan from the other posters. I frequent this location and Southern Sun, so here it goes:
French Fries, Vegetarian Black Bean Chili, Side Salad, Tempeh Reuben, Hummus & Veggie Sandwich, & Burrito. Make sure to 86 the cheese/sour cream on these items & I do not think it renders the food tasteless as another poster wrote. Ive written on comment cards to ask them to change to a vegan "Garden Burger" and "Black Bean" burger. Maybe if more people did that it will eventually happen. They have daily wrap and soup specials, which are sometimes vegan or can be made vegan. You can ask for the Tempeh on a burger bun rather than Reuben if you'd like.
But what you really go here for is the beer!! If you like to drink a yummy craft brew and eat chili fries then you must check it out. If I was reviewing on beer alone, I'd have to go with 5 stars. Or if I was reviewing on convenience on not having to drive to Denver to get a great beer and some vegan bar food, I'd at least give 4 stars. But I'm reviewing on vegan food only, so I'm giving them 3.

Pros: beer
Gabe
Gabe

serious lack of vegan options

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2011

If you eat cheese this place should have a decent number of tasty options for you, but if you consider yourself a vegan you'll be disappointed. Several things on the menu can be made vegan, like taking the cheese off the tempeh reuben (and rendering it fairly tasteless) but I don't think any of the main dishes or sandwiches were vegan as is.

Cons: little or no as-is vegan options, parking
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Veg*n options, good food.

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

Mountain Sun has lots of vegetarian options and a lot of things can be made vegan. Our waiter was very friendly and ran down the entire menu with me and informed me as to what was (or could be made) vegan. I was in sandwich mode, so I opted for the hummus and veggie sandwich and had avocados added. The sandwich was huge, but it was so good that I ate the entire thing. I also noticed MS has vegan 1,000 island dressing, so I may just throw that on the sandwich too next time. There are definitely some options if your vegan, a lot more if you're vegetarian. Overall we had a good experience here and we'll definitely go back - be mindful that you'll likely have to wait during lunch or dinner, this place gets super packed!

• kindlizard kindlizard

That's funny you listed this place. I was here a few years ago and they served me beer but no food. They must have made a concerted effort bc when I was there not too long ago we just got really hungry. Although, is keeping a tub of hummus in the box a "concerted effort"? If it is limited to hummus I don't think it should be listed. good beer though

oops, I see the vegan samich...

• SynthVegan SynthVegan

Sorry, but I don't get your response. I realize it's been years since you've been there, but if you go to their site now there are clearly several veggie options. Like I said in my review, they have more vegetarian than vegan options so I see where you're coming from. But I'd rather go to MS than half of the other places listed in Boulder/Denver on HC (i.e. typical Thai, Indian, Chinese places or even Souper Salad).

• kindlizard kindlizard

HC should not list those other places you mention. They wouldn't do it (nor should they) anywhere else. I have seen many of the menus in person (even some listed as veg now at that point were serving fish) outside on thier walls and refuse to go, but I go there since in my mind "its listed on HC" when that has no bearing in reality. That sinking feeling... is not a happy one, I don't go in, and I rather keep a higher standard to help fellow vegans from illness. Hummus and one samich on the menu here. For that, do you know the food is divided/ isolated prep? Were all the questions answered? If not, I'd rather get a tub of hummus where I can read the label and know. Unless the menu online is different than the one in hand... Glad you had a good experience though

Dear Owner and Manager of Mountain Sun: