The Co-op is a great store. It's small but they have the basics ranging from nutritional yeast to Victoria Vegan vodka sauce to seasoned tempeh.
In addition to carrying fresh local fruits & vegetables, they also have a good selection of vegan products (Tofutti sour cream to vegan kimchi) and the Co-op staff will special order items for you if you are a member. The best part is that they recently stocked up on my favorite vegan crackers - Earth Balance cheese crackers - after I inquired about them on their Facebook page!
The Co-op also carries vegan baked treats (also very delicious!) from the Venerable Bean. The baked goodies range from vegan twinkies to brownies! Hot coffee is also available for purchase near the counter.
Personal care products are also available such as vitamins (most are vegetarian) and supplements to organic brand tampons to deodorants. If you are in need of essential oils, they also carry them as well. A small but thoughtful rotating selection of personal care items are always fun to check out. Items are not overpriced and comparable to Whole Foods or other co-ops in larger towns, if not cheaper or the same price.
If you are a gardner, there usually is a small selection of starter plants and packets of seeds available for sale during the spring and summer months.
- If you're a WVU student, take the PRT to the Walnut Street station. The Co-op is about 2 blocks away from the PRT station (and no massive hills to walk!).
- Parking can be a bit tricky, so if you have a small car, that will be beneficial when backing out into traffic when leaving the store.
- Bring your own bag. They have bags but I like to bring my own.
- You can bring your own containers for refillable items such as liquid soap to local honey.
- Check out the Co-op's Facebook page for frequent updates on when produce is delivered or when new items are in stock. Some basic vegan staples can and do go out of stock before the next delivery.
- You DO NOT have to be a Co-op member to shop here. Anyone and everyone is welcome! :)
Cons: Parking, Traffic