Mother's Natural Grocery ...

Health food store stocking organic produce, deli food, vitamins. more-less
975 Second Street SE

seasoul12
seasoul12

yummy food

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

lots of food options...very friendly staff

VegDesigner
VegDesigner

VEGANS BEWARE of deli food

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2009

It is great to have this handy little health food store in beautiful Bandon. However, the owners/management know nothing or care about veganism. I asked what was vegan in the deli and was told 3 of the items were vegan. I chose BBQ tempeh sticks, stir fry and enchiladas for my husband and I. Intuition (and years of being misinformed) told me to inquire about the ingredients. I asked if the sauce on the tempeh sticks were vegan and the woman showed me the jarred sauce they use. It had anchovies in it!!! I said, "this is not even vegetarian." Then we inquired about the cheese on the enchiladas and of course, it had caseinate in it. I explained these ingredients were not vegan and the woman replied, "well it depends on your level of vegan." I explained that vegans do not eat animal products, however, I am sure my time explaining was futile because apparently she did not know what animal ingredients were....nor did she care, which was apparent by her rudeness when I said we had to cancel the order.

If you need to pick up some food, they have vegan packaged food and produce. If you want to rely on premade foods from the deli....beware!

Pros: Produce, Vegan packaged items
Cons: Deli food states vegan but is not veg, Owner was rude
Mitch Cohen
Mitch Cohen

Nice Organic Produce Selection, Good Meals!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

Many parts of rural Oregon don't have a lot of vegan options. I bicycled the Pacific Coast, and I thought this deli & market was quite a delicious gem! Also: when cycling, I love to eat kiwis; I hadn't noticed the tasty gold kiwi until I saw them here. I grade it on a slight curve: it wouldn't rate an "excellent" in a huge city, but it certainly exceeded my expectations for rural Oregon.

Pros: good vegan food, fresh organic produce, good selection

Dear Owner and Manager of Mother's Natural Grocery and Deli: