Local market with emphasis on organic foods. Has a vegan-friendly deli offering grab-n-go juices, soups, and veggie burgers. more-less
106 Highway 35 (next to Windance)
Hood River, Oregon 97031

Frankieb62
Frankieb62

What A Great Find

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2012

My husband and I moved to Mosier in October and I have been spending time getting to know the area. Mothers was recommended to me as a great place to find local, organic produce. I discovered much more and am really happy I did. I was welcomed to the store and the gentleman who took care of me was very helpful and welcomed me to the area. I purchased some of the freshest and best tasting organic produce, that was very reasonably priced. In fact, the quality of produce at Mothers far exceeded what I had purchased at Rosauers and Safeway at much higher prices.
I also enjoyed a cup of the best Vegetable Barley soup I have ever tasted. I'm very excited that I have found such a great place to get my produce and look forward to many more shopping stops!

Pros: Tasty food, fresh produce, reasonable prices
Cons: small space
susun
susun

Support Family Owned Businesses

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2011

I recently stumbled upon reviews of Mother's Vegetarian Store/Deli in Hood River Oregon. After reading one r/e a request for Kombucha I decided I have to write a review in support of Mother's. I'm a local and I like to shop for organically grown local produce, and I like to support restaurants / delis and stores that also use locally grown produce as much as possible. Mother's is a good example of a family-owned market that provides the best locally grown organic produce in town, and they also offer delicious healthy foods made by their own people (try Suzanne's Cheese!). They are a delightful alternative to Rosaurers and Safeway. I hope they stay in business for years to come!!

Pros: locally owned, supports local organic farmers, offers organic deli meals
Cons: very small store when they're uber busy
Ejean22
Ejean22

Happily surprised

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

To find an all vegan restaurant in Hood River was certainly a happy surprise. Had a delicious slice of vegan pizza with lots of veggies, a fresh carrot juice and some amazing banana soft serve. The owner was very friendly and helpful and interested in chatting with customers. We take a yearly trip to Hood River to buy peaches on the Fruit Loop and we will definitely be adding this little cafe to our yearly tradition. :)

Pros: All vegan, Tasty, Friendly staff
  • Chuck Chuck

Ejean22: Your review makes it sound like you really enjoyed the place, and you listed no cons. Is there anything you didn't like about Mothers Market that made you give it only a "fair" rating?

• Ejean22 Ejean22

You are right, Chuck, I intended to give this cafe an excellent rating, I don't know how it got messed up but it seems I am unable to change my review now or even delete it. I am sorry! I'm glad you pointed out the problem.

Veganish
Veganish

Great find!

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

We stopped here after finding this place on happy cow. Everything is vegan. It is a very well stocked store with a deli in back.
The vegan pizza was made with a spelt crust with roasted veggies and pineapple - delish! The soup I tried was a tomato rice -also very good. We also had the banana soft serve-made with only bananas and topped with walnuts-amazing! The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will be back!

Pros: Great food
Mcowpie
Mcowpie

A different experience . . .

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

I stopped in here with my family today. At first we thought it was a nice little store, and it is . . . sort of. Good selection of natural foods in a place that otherwise has only a Safeway. However the longer we stayed the more we detected a totalitarian, self righteous attitude. I asked if there was Kombucha and received an annoyed and flat 'no' in response. The kind that did not invite debate. I would note in retrospect that there were no alcoholic beverages of any kind in the store and kombucha has a small and insignificant amount of alcohol in it. Apparently any is too much.
A few minutes later I heard a customer ask if they carried coffee and the man replied "we try to keep this a health food store." Now I don't want to debate whether coffee is healthful or not, but I can tell you that its much less harmful than cane sugar, which they carry an abundance of in different forms.
Skip the poisons if you want, but spare your customers the self righteous anger and judgement. I honestly felted condemned and despised for wanting kombucha and I can promise you those requesting either of these two items will find similar intolerant and haughty attitudes. I for one would have appreciated a warning that this store was run by angry religious types. If you don't want either of those two things your experience may differ.
A tofurky sandwich in the middle of nowhere goes a long way, but this is just down the road from the tofurky factory, and an hour from Portland.

Pros: Organic foods, Vegan specialties
Cons: No kombucha, No coffee
  • changestartswithyou changestartswithyou

Dear Mr Mcowpie, I'm sorry for your perceived experience at Mothers... (and yes our perception is our reality) was less than what you expected. I've been shopping at Mother's for years, along with many other locals, and anyone who's gotten to know that family, know's they are the most kind spirited (or should I say hearted) people you'll meet, and they do their best to support local growers and business'. Seeing your connection to Happy Cow, I'm guessing we're all on the same path, "health wise", anyways. It's challenging enough getting people to learn good health and nutrition without negative reviews- especially in a place that means well. No one's perfect- is it possible you or the other person was having a bad day?? Remember the age old saying...'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. Please think twice before posting something negative about people who are just trying like the rest of us! Peace and veggies!!

• rainlover rainlover

@changestartswithyou, I love Mother's but I think that scolding Mcowpie for posting an honest, heartfelt review is a misdirected effort. Your admonition to only post positive thoughts and feelings makes the review process less valuable because it skews the information and has a cooling effect on posters.

I've been a Mother's supporter since Mother's was a Washington-based start-up, but Mcowpie isn't imagining things. In all honesty, I've experienced the same religious-based judgmental attitude there. It doesn't keep me from supporting them, but I'm very much aware of it and self-monitor in order to improve my experience.

Our personal beliefs can spur us to action, as it does with the owners at Mother's, but when we cross into the retail environment, it may be prudent to temper one's need to condemn those who don't think as we do and take a more proactive tack. A simple, "No, I'm sorry, we don't carry that, but we do have some delicious (suggestion)" might have saved the day and improved Mcowpie's experience as well as the review. While rudeness is not something that anyone should aspire to, the burden of customer relations falls more to the retailer or service provider than it does to the consumer.

Reviews are generally a snapshot of a particular point in time. I appreciate that posters here are respectful and honest -- refreshing and valuable departure from what many consider 'normal.'

Timanemone
Timanemone

I love this place!

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2011

we were passing through town and found mother's market on happy cow. very easy to find. we had some delicious vegan pizza and two reasonably priced juices. very friendly staff and the owner gave us samples of some newly arrived organic cherries. we'll definitely be back. a great little store.

Lightor
Lightor

Highest Accolade

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2009

Definately a required stop when going through the gorge. Best food, Incridible smoothies, Wonderful and kind staff. What buying local should be about. An excellenet example of healthy AND tasty. Easy to find.

Pros: staff, food, price
Cons: only in the gorge
juliac
juliac

Cozy vegan cafe

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2008

I really was impressed with this small cafe inside Mothers Market. I got a really great salad to go, with sprouts and all, and the best ice cream I've ever had, made with frozen bananas! I couldn't believe how good it was, and they topped it with maple syrup and walnuts, sooo good. If you are heading up the gorge or on your way to climb a mountain, don't forget to fuel up here!

Pros: vegan cafe, small and cozy, super friendly
Cons: far away
Guest
Guest

Great pit stop for food off I-84.

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2007

It's right off the interstate and easy to find, take exit 64, go south and make a right. It's right there in the right next to Windance (a sailboard shop). The pizza was amazing, vegan, and all organic too. I talked to the owner and she was so nice to me. I was traveling with a coworker so I didn't get to look around at all but there seemed to be a variety of stuff for a quaint place.

Pros: Convenient to travelers, Reasonable prices, Nice owner
Cons: Small

Dear Owner and Manager of Mother's Marketplace: