Mother's Market and Kitchen...

Natural foods grocery market with several locations in Orange County. Stocks supplements and vitamins, fresh fruit and vegetable, bulk, packaged food, eco friendly cleaning and household products, personal care, and more. Has a deli, juice bar, and restaurant inside that is vegan and vegetarian friendly. more-less
24165 Paseo De Valencia (El Toro, in South Orange County)
Laguna Woods, California 92653
949-768-6667

Open Mon-Sun 8am-10pm.

First Review by ElleCrysTALL
Chia
Chia

Awesome Place to Shop and Dine

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

I had been here many years ago and was totally delighted to return. Here's my Mother's Market review.

What a refreshing breath of air this store is! There is such a great variety of vegetarian and vegan foods served in the cafe as well as the deli. There's also a coffee bar, juice bar, in addition to the grocery store that carries a range of fresh fruits and vegetables, supplements, bulk food, and much more. The variety here is definitely more vegetarian-oriented than Whole Foods Market, and the atmosphere is inviting, fun, and relaxing.

I wish there was a Mother's Market in Los Angeles.

Pros: great variety, good food, positive vibes
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

small packed store

3 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

I stopped in to grab some lunch, but took a look around while I was there. It's a small store, but the aisles are packed. It seemed to have all the basic vegan stuff for sale. I didn't get a chance to check out the cafe, but the deli area didn't have many things marked vegan. It was more veggie than vegan oriented. I ended up getting one of the pre-made packaged sandwiches and a bag of chips. The vegan chicken salad sandwich was filling and pretty good. While it probably can provide for all your shopping needs, I prefer the larger Mothers' locations which are easier to navigate around.

Pros: deli and cafe area, easy parking
Cons: small, sells meat, dairy and eggs
ThunderHeart
ThunderHeart

Big Selection of Vegan and Vegetarian Dishes

2 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2009

While there is a large selection of veggie products in the store and in the restaurant I can't consider this truly veggie friendly. I don't think the staff has a clue about what vegans and vegetarians are all about. They just don't get it. Even with the big selection it is not worth shopping there to me. The prices are pretty high also.

Pros: Big Selection, Good food
Cons: Pricey, Ambivelant staff
ElleCrysTALL
ElleCrysTALL

Come for lunch, stay and shop for dinner, fun time

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2008

Where to begin, market or kitchen? Well, the store name lists market first, so why not.

I like Mother's as a grocery store. They tend to have obscure items I have not seen anywhere else, including my deodorant! Not all locations have the same products, but they will do a store transfer and call when it comes in. Some items are a little pricey, but others are bargains, even considering my brother works at a competing natural grocer and receives a substantial employee discount. The staff tends to be awesome, really helpful, and some cashiers make amusing announcements over the intercom at night. Most are quite knowledgeable and informative. My only gripe is the lentil nut loaf dinner from the deli case has gone up significantly in price and is not always available. Occasionally, I find cold food marked half off because it met the sell by date, but anything is good another few days.

The kitchen is different somehow. There are so many menu offerings, choosing what to eat has been the most difficult decision all day both times I went. The tempeh ruben was good, and the lemon caper veggie cutlet was great but the sauce was almost too strong. Many items have a vegan alternative. Side options are a bit lacking if you see the deli case, brown rice or plain yogurt are not exactly appealing. Both meals with tax were just over $9 each I believe. Not too bad considering most produce is organic and grown locally. Service in the kitchen has paled in comparison to the retail store though, my orders both had the wrong side brought to me, and my water glass tends to remain empty. Still, there are several other things I intend to try.

My only other disappointment is that there are regular mainstream chemical air fresheners and paper products in the restroom, if I am putting good in my body I want the same in my environment. I mean, they sell the natural stuff in the store! Otherwise, Mother's is pretty great

Pros: Market staff SUPER helpful, Will transfer or order item not in stock, Variety of classes, demos, and lectures
Cons: Kitchen service lacking in comparison, Chemical bathroom spray and soap

Dear Owner and Manager of Mother's Market and Kitchen - Laguna Woods: