Mother's Market and Kitchen...

Natural foods grocery market with several locations in Orange County. Stocks supplements and vitamins, fresh fruit and vegetable, bulk, packaged food. The kitchen deli and juice bar serves meals including veg-friendly sandwiches and others. more-less
19770 Beach Blvd

juicedoit
  • raw

Great Customer Service

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

I was on Day 20 of a 30 day juice fast and needed a juice late at night. I called this Mother's around 9:20pm. Their juice bar closed at 9:30pm. I told them that I was about a half hour away but needed a juice. They gladly honored my request to make the juices I needed and hold them for me. When I arrived, the juice bar was closed, but my juice was ready. GREAT service. The store is on the smaller size compared to other Mother's Markets, but it seemed clean and still busy, even 10 minutes before closing. They have basically the same juice menu as other Mother's Markets. I was very very happy. (By the way, be sure to enter Mother's Market in your google search when looking for an address or use HappyCow mobile app.....if you just enter Mother's Huntington Beach, you end up at a biker bar by the beach for a different kind of juice--grin)

Pros: Great service, Clean, Reliable
Cons: Small
almostfamous84
almostfamous84

Mixed emotions...

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2013

Where to begin-- let's start with the restaurant... I had ONE horrible experience in 2010-11 where my meal was infested with dead fruit flies/gnats/Fungus gnats (whatever they were). I literally could count 15 before the embarrassed waitress took the plate away. Sure that may have been a one time thing BUT i will never eat at there again. Now onto the store... I LOVE that I can find almost everything Vegan at Mother's-- All Mother's are like that so let's stick to this particular store-- IT'S SMALL. Not much anyone can do about that... Honestly looks like a hole in the wall instead of a market based on how everything is piled on the shelves. Also isles are very small and cramped-- annoying looking for something constantly having to get out of peoples way so they can walk by. The entrance is awkward once you walk in-- registers with people checking out are literally in the entrance way. ON TO THE GOOD: The worker bees their are always super helpful!!! Very nice! Always saying Hi! Always asking if they can help! Parking is never an issue! Greenpeace is outside that store often but as long as you know the password they will leave you alone. Bottom line-- if you want 1 or 2 items go to this store... If you want to go shopping GO TO THE ONE OFF OF Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa! It's MUCH BIGGER, MORE ORGANIZED, MUCH MORE PRODUCT. Oh one more thing... It takes much longer than the Costa Mesa store to get a juice! Usually because it's one person and they are usually off to doing work in another part of the store like the restaurant. I can get a juice at the Costa Mesa store in 5-7 mins even if there is a line where it takes 10-15 at the HB store with no line.

Pros: Staff is awesome!, Many Vegan Products, Parking is painless
Cons: Cramped, Small, Cluttered
GabrielitoVegano
GabrielitoVegano

Not comming to this Mother's ever again

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

Came here with some friends and a couple of the waitresses were really rude. Not only that but the tofu was so bland I could hardly eat it-it really needed some salt or something; the wrap was really good though. What can you say, you go there to have a good time and end up leaving upset.

Updated from previous review on Friday August 12, 2011

Pros: Vegan friendly
Cons: Rude waitresses

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

small store with cafe

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2011

We stopped by this Mother's location to have lunch with friends and to pick up a few items. The store itself is rather small, but it seemed to have all the necessary vegan items. It was also nice not to view and smell a butcher area like in Whole Foods. As for the restaurant, their menu is mainly vegetarian, not vegan. The vegan items are marked and others can be made vegan. I ordered the soy chicken tacquitos with rice and beans and while the tacquitos were good, the rice and beans were pretty bland. Dirk got pancakes and they checked with him to make sure he got the vegan ones. One of our friends ordered the club sandwich which looked quite tasty, so I wish I'd gotten it. Another get the teriyaki stir fry which looked pretty basic and the last one just got the soup and salad option for a lighter meal. She ordered tahini dressing with it and she said it was nothing like tahini. The highlight was definitely the pudding pie shake that Dirk ordered. They substituted Newman-Os for the Golden Grahams when we asked for vegan and I'm sure it was better than way anyways! Thick and rich! Overall, it was a filling meal, but nothing special and as noted, the cafe was mainly vegetarian, not vegan, but they definitely knew the differences to accomodate us.

Pros: good vegan selection, easy parking
Cons: small store, mainly vegetarian, not vegan, cafe
lono
lono

So-so

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

I really wanted to love this place. We've tried three different meals from the restaurant and they've all been underwhelming. Someone please give the kitchen some salt and seasoning! Whipped yams were more like yam rocks. There's a ton of potential here - I hope it gets better. The one time we ate in-house our server was super, super nice and accomodating. The Ginger's Ale is to die for good! I'll be back for more of the drinks - wow. Also need to expand a gluten-free menu, which they've said they are working on.

Pros: ginger's ale!, service
Cons: food overall
GeorgeR
GeorgeR

Great Full Service Restaurant, Great Grocery Store

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2009

Mother's is both a full service restaurant and a grocery store and a health supplement store. Don't think it's just a deli or a juice bar. I shop there every week and eat there at least a couple of times a month.

Regarding the restaurant - they have a great selection of vegetarian and vegan meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also have a gluten-free menu (although it's a bit limited, but so is almost everyone's). Their food is usually excellent, portions large, and their prices are very fair. The only downsides are that service can be very slow and I've had food that wasn't as hot as it should be sometimes.

Their market is good, but way too small (the aisles are very narrow, it's usually crowded, so you must have patience when shopping there). Their produce is usually well marked with green signs for organic, and yellow signs for non-organic (I wish they would do the same in the rest of the store).

The issue about bad service is true. Mother's tends to hire very nice people, but they don't seem to have experience or training in good customer service. Once you find someone available to help, they seem to try hard to help - but they are very slow and frequently don't have that much knowledge. This seems to be the case in the restaurant, in the store, and at the check-out. Sometimes the service is "normal" but usually it's pretty slow.

Mother's gets 4+ cows for their food quality and selection in the restaurant, but only 2 cows for their service.

Pros: good food, good selection, fair prices
Cons: slow service, slow service
ThunderHeart
ThunderHeart

Big Selection

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2009

There is a large selection of vegan and vegetarian food at Mother's. Service leaves a lot to be desired in the store and the cafe. The store is actually pretty pricey. Poorly trained staff is the reason I don't care to shop there anymore.

Pros: Large selection, Good food
Cons: Pricey, Poor service, Ambivalent staff
Dismantlethemoon
Dismantlethemoon

Mother's tops them all!

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2009

I have been shopping and eating at the huntington beach location for quite some time and I have never been disappointed with the quality of service, either in the store OR the cafe. Every person in the cafe is sweet and helpful and I have enjoyed everything I have eaten there. The cost of groceries is only slightly higher than supermarkets, and you are getting the best organic produce that any store has to offer. Plus, most of their specialty health food products are cheaper than what you would pay at a place like pavilions. The staff is outstandingly helpful, Christian knows every single product in the store and can help you find anything you are looking for. For anyone that has ever had a bad experience there, give mother's a second try! You will not be disappointed.

Pros: Knowledgeable staff, great variety of products, Great food/ service in the cafe
shellaminabelle
shellaminabelle

**MOTHERS is a SUPERSTAR**

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2008

I have been shopping at Mother's and eating at their restaurant for over 12 years. Their prices are a little higher than more "corporate" national chains, but I believe in supporting community ventures. They have a good selection of products and the food at the restaurant is always creative, fresh and delicious! I have always had friendly, efficient service. At the HB location, most of the servers have worked there FOREVER, some since I started eating there 12 years ago. They are knowledgeable and quick. I highly recommend Mother's!! Five Cows Up!!

Pros: Wide Selection of Products, Knowledgable Staff, Excellent Restaurant
kluvcards
kluvcards

Mother's Market-High Prices-Poor Cust. Service

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2008

I do like the items at Mother's....but the prices are much higher than other health food stores such as Trader Joes. In addition, the customer service is horrible! I had to take an unused item back because the safety seal wasn't on it....I had the receipt, it was the day after I purchased it, and they gave me such a hard time about it! I couldn't believe it.

It takes more than a good product to keep me coming back. If you are going to overcharge your customer, at least treat them well!

Mother's is not going to receive my business anymore.

cgutierrez4
cgutierrez4

the kitchen sucks

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2008

I like the market ,the staff is really helpful and i love all organic food,snacks, the restaurant wasn't good the manager was rude didn't ask are you being help and they too busy talking they really helped.i won't go there again.

Pros: good food
Cons: bad restaurant
gerberdaisy
gerberdaisy

GREAT FOOD-- BAD SERVICE

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2008

I love eating at the restaurant in Mother's Market. Tons of vegan choices and the food is the best but the service (Irvine, CA) is always average at best. It's like they took a staff member without any restaurant or customer service experience and threw them into the restaurant. This one guy who seems to always be there (he's vegan too), gets the order wrong. The wait staff never come back to check on the meal; drop off the check without comment; never a "thank you" or courtesy after collecting his handsome tip. Maybe I should lay off the fat tip (which I enjoy giving to fellow vegans). But I'll keep going back for the food and shopping.

Pros: quality of food, vegan choices, casual
Cons: unprofessional, service is inferior
scarlett_rsnow
scarlett_rsnow

I f'in love mothers

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2008

Growing up Beg or vegan in CA was difficult until MOTHERS showed up and now I am alive!!

I Can eat anything there and not have to worry about by-products and it's great and delicious and healthy.

The food store has everything you could ever need! vitamins and every yum yum Imaginable

Go to Mothers!!!

Pros: yummy, veg/vegan...duh, has everything you need for health
Cons: little pricy
Guest
Guest

I love Mother's

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2007

Not only do I do almost all of my grocery shopping here, I love to eat here, too! The staff is always willing to accommodate their customers, and I have grown up on their food. One of their best soups is the green pistole, and I love the egg and bean burrito with egg whites and "soy-rizo" (veggie alternative to chorizo) I recently went off to school on the east coast, and Mother's is what I miss most.

Pros: Food at "the Kitchen", Staff, Great grocery store
jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

Cafe was bad

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2007

At the cafe there have been several times (too many) when my order has been messed up and I've been given some sort of dairy product by mistake. The last (and final) time I was there the waitress said they were just going to scrape off the sour cream and cheese in the back and give my meal back to me. I'm very allergic to dairy and I couldn't believe how insensitive they were about a vegan meal at a restaurant that is supposed to serve vegan food. :-/

Pros: bad waitstaff, overpriced, bland food
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Mother's

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2006

There are about three Mother's Market in the surrounding cities and each of them are good. There is plenty of vegan treats and meals to chose from. Not only from shopping but you can eat here as well.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mother's Market and Kitchen - Huntington Beach: