Serves meat, veg options available. Mexican style bar and restaurant seating at the bar, tables, and booths. Some vegetarian choices, of which several can be made vegan (at additional charge), including the veggie burger and portabella fajitas. Reported to offer vegan cheese as a substitute - ask. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

Conzetti
Conzetti

Best vegan tacos in OC

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2014

The double decker prepared vegan was outstanding. A tortilla coated with black bean paste, a crunchy corn tortilla inside of that, and then beans or portobellos for filling. Totally delicious. I would've given 5 stars, but the wait staff is constantly overwhelmed with the volume of people. I definitely recommend ordering everything immediately, to avoid a huge wait.

kim2121
kim2121

Yummy Enchiladas!

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

I tripped upon this place during a recent trip to Ocean City. There was more than one vegetarian in our group and we were thrilled to have actual choices on the menu (spinach, portobello, or black bean fillings available for almost anything on the menu). It also does have several vegan options. In addition to the vegan cheese substitution option mentioned in the other reviews, the menu says all the sides are vegan except the queso, which means putting together a vegan meal is definitely doable.

The happy hour is every day and was really good. We had decent-sized, delicious margaritas for $3.50 each. It was a bit hard to stop myself from ordering more than a few!

It's a shame another reviewer had trouble with a server; our server was very attentive and really friendly.

Overall, this was a delicious meal and a fun time! I will definitely return when I'm in town again!

Pros: Yummy Vegetarian Food, Fun Atmosphere, Great Happy Hour
JuliaGulia
JuliaGulia

Fantastic!

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

My mother and I are both vegetarians and we found this place and decided to try it. Everything was fantastic, we got the guacamole appetizer, margaritas, portobello fajitas and the black bean veggie burrito - delicious!

Pros: delicious food & drinks, extensive menu
Cons: slow service

LoveMyKale
LoveMyKale

Check it Twice to be Sure it's Vegan

2 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

After finding that Mother's Cantina was the only Happy Cow listed restaurant open at 7pm, I headed over. I had a few minute conversation with the staff person, asking about vegan options. I ordered a bean burrito and reviewed (just to be sure) - "no cheese". I ordered food to go and was told it would be 15 minutes. 30 minutes later the food was ready. I opened it in the car and there was cheese in the burrito and on the side beans. I went back in and the staff person said "sorry, I forgot to write it down". People make mistakes, but, really, that was kind of the whole point...

NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Yummy!

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2013

As has been mentioned in prior reviews, you have to ask to veganize your meal. They use Daiya cheese. I had veggie enchiladas, which were sooo good! I used to eat enchiladas almost weekly before I was vegan, and the enchiladas here totally hit the spot, so to speak.

Do be careful of the gaucamole, if you are vegan: it contains sour cream.

Pros: Can veganize a lot, Really tasty, Cute place
Cons: Pricey to veganize (+$3)
hdeweyh
hdeweyh

Great vegan food but you must ask!

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

Mother's was great - some of the best mexican food I have had on the eats coast - and very vegan friendly. It looks a little crazy when you walk in to the bar area but they have a nice and surprisingly uiet dining room off to the left. Pretty much everything they offer can be made vegan with sauteed veggies, spinach, portabellos, or bean fillings. The secret however is that you need to *ask* for vegan cheese, for some strange reason they don't list it on the menu! My waitress was very knowledgeable however and said I could veganize my meal for $3.

Pros: delicious food
Cons: having to ask about veganization
limupoi
limupoi

Vegan friendly

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

My husband and I were very impressed as soon as we walked in because the bartender knew what Vegan meant. That's so rare! She knew which dishes to recommend, and was very helpful. Both our dinners were really delicious. We will definitely go back if we ever visit Ocean City again.

daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup

Great Veg*n Options!

4 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2012

In a relatively veg*n-unfriendly area, Mother's Cantina is a diamond in the rough. I was surprised to find it in a little shopping center, but the atmosphere was great and the food was fantastic. The complimentary chips and salsa were hot, crispy and just a little spicy, and the service was quick and friendly. I got the Mother's Burrito with sauteed veggies and Daiya cheese (HUGE points!) and my boyfriend got the black bean and portabella taco meal. Both dishes came with rice and beans, and the portions were hearty enough to keep us full for the rest of the night. Highly recommended!

Pros: Good Service, Daiya Cheese, Big Portions
Cons: Mildly Pricey
tcasalena
tcasalena

Great Vegan Spot..daiya anyone?!

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

We heard that this place had some great vegetarian options so we decided to check it out. The waitress was really nice and gave us the low down. Most of the main ingredients were all vegan but the guacamole is unfortunately not, so skip that. However, they have DAIYA CHEESE so this really is a great vegan spot! The food is awesome and the vegan options are plenty. The complementary salsa is also really yummy. I will never go hungry in Ocean City again!

Pros: food, vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: slow service, a little pricey
rosegardenbride
rosegardenbride

Great Place for Vegetarians and Non

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

We just got back from Ocean City. My husband and I are both vegetarian, and there isn't much in the way of non-seafood in this area, so we thought we would check this place out. When we walked up, I was a little worried as it was not a nice upscale place, more like a sports bar. But everyone was so nice and the food was amazing. They answered all of our questions without being annoyed, and the waitress really went out of her way to make it a nice experience. We had several people come check on us. I can't say enough about this yummy restaurant and their incredible staff. Wish more places were like this!

Pros: lots of veg options, can customize to make veg or vegan, staff is not rude when you ask ?s
GriffinPalmer88
GriffinPalmer88

Mother's Cantina

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

Very good food with nice people. With food for everyone. Mexican style and is very Veggie and Vegan friendly. Nice restaurant/bar with Vegetarian owners. Moderate prices and food comes in diecent quantity.

Pros: Good food, Nice people
vegangirl87
vegangirl87

Fantastic Veggie/Vegan Tex-Mex @ Mother's Cantina

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2010

Mother's Cantina is a really friendly restaurant and bar that serves a ton of veggie options. All of their beans, rice, and veggie sides are vegan (I asked). Also one of the owners is a vegetarian and she is the chef. She even came to our table to see if we liked everything. I was the only vegan at the table. Had the portabella fajitas and it was a ton of food with AMAZING flavor. The chef said she buys all her veggies local - which is also pretty awesome. I highly recommend Mother's Cantina. Spread the word!

Pros: Veggie Friendly, Vegan Friendly, Family Friendly
Cons: Kinda small dining room

Dear Owner and Manager of Mother's Cantina: