Vegetarian restaurant opened in Jan 2014. Offers a variety of traditional American cuisine and comfort foods in vegetarian and vegan versions. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Catering, Take-out

rockcita
rockcita

good, but not great

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

Mother is a small (26 seats inside, 16 outside) but well kept and organized restaurant with a simple but pleasant decor. The open kitchen adds to a cozy feeling. Everyone was friendly and polite. However, the experience went downhill quickly. Our server promptly brought water to the table, but it was at room temperature; without even the smallest cube of ice in it - and this was on a 100 degree day. Our order was taken in a timely manner, but a short time later when cook placed our order on the pick-up shelf, it sat for four minutes while three servers glanced at it as they walked past, but never picked it up. My sandwich was way too salty and the cucumbers on it tasted like they had been marinated in vinegar. Mother has potential, so I'm not ruling them completely out. Since they're new, they might just need a little more time to work the kinks out. To get to the restrooms, you go out the back door which empties into a hallway. The restrooms, which are quite nice, are shared by several businesses who have the same access. It's no big deal, unless you have kids who want to go to the can alone; you'll want to accompany them into the hallway.

Pros: clean and tidy, friendly staff
Cons: food is over salted, food is okay, but not memorable
warmstorage
warmstorage

Delicious, fun, oily, salty vegan comfort food!

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2014

Went to Mother (we'll call the restaurant M2) today for the first time with my mother (we'll call her M1: the woman who actually birthed me.) Both M1 and I loved M2.

We both love greasy, salty food. M1 tolerates my veganism. So does M2. Most of the appetizers are vegan (today, only the jalapeno cornbread wasn't.) But most of the sandwiches and large plates are ovo lacto vegetarian, and the vegan option was removing the cheese (with no offered substitute.)

Which is to say that veganism is easy enough here, but they are really an ovo-lacto vegetarian restaurant that is happy to accommodate vegans. I think I recall pre-opening media where they even shied away from being described as vegetarian, which, like Dirt Candy NYC, I find a little precious.

We had:
* blistered shishito peppers ($5) delicious, oily, occasional flakes of salt. Oily and salty, and delicious.
* Chicken fried mushrooms ($5) amazing battered and fried (they had to do something special to veganize them). Oily and salty. Delicious.
* fried cauliflower and broccolini ($5) just damned delicious, with nice roasty caramelized bits. Oily and salty. Delicious.
* jalapeno cornbread ($6) with molasses butter, not vegan, but M1 loved it
* carrot nut burger ($10) with fresh pickles, it was delicious. the burger patty doesn't much hold together, but it all tastes so good that I didn't care

Be clear that their southern-inspired vegetarian cooking is greasy, oily, and delicious.

I drank a very tasty vanilla pine Zeal kombucha ($5, good sized glass) and M1 liked her strawberry lemonade ($3).

Opened up in a space right next to the historic Crest Theater, it's a smallish space: two four tops, and a row of maybe six two tops. We'd waited a while to come, since we were hearing of it getting slammed by downtown workers during their lunch break. It was easy to walk in at 2pm and score the best table in the place, in the front window.

Transit is ridiculously easy, being on the K Street Mall with light rail running running in front, and all sorts of Sac RT buses nearby. Parking is easy enough but will cost you, the city owned lot around the corner is $3/hour.

I grew up in Sacramento and have always loved K Street, warts and all, through all of its incarnations. It's perfectly safe, but not a sterilized suburb experience.

M1 and I absolutely agreed we'll be delighted to go back to M2, sticking with the off-rush-hours.

What a lovely addition to the Sacramento vegan-friendly scene!
Updated from

Pros: DELICIOUS!, plenty of vegan available, super friendly, cute space
Cons: vegan feels kinda like an afterthought
MatthewConarroe
MatthewConarroe

excellent

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2014

Vegan and vegetarian options. Fresh flavors and wonderful presentation. Now offering table service.

Groveey
Groveey

pleasing atmosphere

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

Easy menu

Draft drinks like zeal kombucha

9th day of being open