Mother India

Serves meat, veg options available. Indian food restaurant. Has vegetarian starters and mains, including dishes free of cheese and butter. Semi-traditional interior. Veggie mains 6-8 Euro. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Non-veg
148 Via de Serpenti (btwn Via Cavour and Via Nazionale)
Rome, Italy
+39-064740777

First Review by icysky
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Asleep On A Sunbeam

Good food but a lack of understanding

3 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2013

The food we got was delicious. There wasn't much in terms of portions, but by golly was the quality good!

We just had 1 main each (my partner and I).

The only problem we had was the waiter couldn't understand what vegan was for the longest time. I ended up resorting to my vegan passport from the vegan society, which eventually allowed him to understand.

The Chana Masala was divine. One of the best curry dishes we've ever had.

I still would have tipped but there was a 4 euro service charge added onto the bill.

Pros: Great tasting food.
Cons: Didn't know what vegan was., Portion sizes
dragejenta
dragejenta

Great ending of a busy day in Rome

3 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

We wnt to mother India with quite low eceptations. We were both hungry and tired after a long day. Wen we came in the staff were cherfull and happy. The main waiter spok good english. He had no problem with assuring a glutenfree vegan meal for me. We eat hree corses and I enjoyed it. They have no vegan desserts but they make an incredible mango juice. And a littel up the street there are a gelatoria selling 4 flasvours of soia ice cream. Wonder full resturant i will recomend, especialy for them traveling with a meat eater.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, Autentic surrondings
Geet Shroff
Geet Shroff

Enjoyed my meal..!

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2011

A vegetarian fixed menu for EUR 16 and a whole lot of other vegetarian options (indicated on the menu clearly). Great food, very pleasant staff that speak English and Italian. Asked how spicy I liked my meal (even though I am Indian :-)) and I could see that everyone around me was enjoying their visit at this quiet restaurant that was playing Sufi music in the background. The theme is authentic and so is the food. Do try the pakoda's for appetizers.

Pros: Great Food, Pleasant Staff
Cons: Toilet could be better
lucyblack74
lucyblack74

Mother India, Rome

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2010

This is a great Indian restaurant, with tasty and healthy options (eg samosas oven baked rather than fried). Staff were friendly and spoke good English. Portions are smaller than you would expect from an Indian restuarant in the UK, as Italians would normally have more courses than us. Which means you can order more!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff
icysky
icysky

Great Indian Food

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

Wife and I went here on our first night in Rome - had a nightmare journey to get there for Valentines - snow in frankfurt :(

The choice of restaurant was great. It looks unassuming, dull. But when the starters arrived, we knew we were on to a winner. We had some of the greatest tasting indian food on our travels here - we recommend trying as many of the starters as you can.

We had a few more naans with our mains, which were great. I wanted really spicy food, and they brought out the chef's pickle sauces. These made it feel just like home - great food.

Problem was the price, very very expensive!

Pros: Great food, Great choice
Cons: Price, very expensive, Doesn't look great

Dear Owner and Manager of Mother India: