Mother Chu's Vegetarian...

One of handful of Asian vegetarian restaurants in Sydney. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Asian

First Review by Aloo
BuffyEllen
BuffyEllen

Nice Chinese food

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

Simple decor not flash. But nice friendly service and good classic Chinese food, done without meat. Lots of options so will definitely go back to try out some of the others.

Pros: reasonably priced , all vegan, authentic
Cons: simple decor, not flash, no free green tea (but water), in town so no parking
AnarchyGarden
AnarchyGarden

Fresh And Great Value

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

Amazing amount of vegan options, some honey in a couple of the meals so watch out for those.
Tofu, noodles, gluten based mock meats and heaps of veges. Amazing flavours. More than enough rice for 4 people. Great friendly service. Yum ginger tea too.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 28, 2014

Pros: Great Flavours, Lots Of Options, Value
Cons: Didnt Open Till 5pm
moorspede
moorspede

Love this place

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2014

I've been going to Mother Chu's for decades. The food is consistently fresh, wholesome and filling and there is a wide variety of choices.

Pros: Fresh, wholesome food, Friendly service

CarolinaSvenOrre
CarolinaSvenOrre

Nice food in the heart of Sydney

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

I liked this restaurant. It has an extensive menu and the food tastes good. It's not the best food I ever had, but well worth having. I ate a sizzling gluten, which was a little too sweet for me, but good anyway.

Tiggy
Tiggy

Not bad but need more convincing

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

This is a place I've been to a couple of times on previous visits to Sydney but not for a while so my memory was a bit vague. It has a fairly plain setup with Formica tables in various configurations. The menu is extensive, although I noticed that some dishes had versions under different categories, such as the soy bean roll, which, in addition to its standard entry, also had variations under 'steaming' and 'clay pot'. We ordered the standard plus a miso clay pot with tempeh and steamed rice. The soy bean rolls were quite delicious, a little hot and accompanied by spring onions in a dark sauce. The miso dish on the other hand really didn't work for us: the broth was weak without much flavour and this left big hunks of crisp vegetable (including non-tender cauliflower and cabbage) to fend for themselves. The moral: be selective and look for recommended dishes (the soy rolls being one of which we took heed). We opted for a banana fritter (there are also apple and pineapple) with a scoop of mango soy ice cream plus one scoop each of passion fruit and mango soy ice cream. Very nice. All up this cost us $60 (including my freshly squeezed OJ and my partner's lemonade), which took me a little by surprise but is by no means outrageous. I'm not sold on this place yet but the menu's big enough that I'll come back and try it again

Pros: Decent-sized menu, All vegan including desserts
Cons: Some dishes are substandard
The beautiful Wombat
The beautiful Wombat

Delicious vegan friendly food!

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

This is a great dairy free, egg free, msg free vego restaurant, lovely people as well and a huge menu.
Try the hot pots they are really delicous...no that is not a prawn on top!! :)

robivore
robivore
  • herbivore

hen hao chi!

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

Tastey noodles and Vegs. Curry puffs were very good too.

Nice staff, good location, all around good spot.

Probably not the most healthy thing in the world, but super tastey.

Pros: lots of options, friendly staff
Cons: the tea was average
Vegan Smythe
Vegan Smythe

Mother Chu's - a Sydney vegan haven

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

We went to Mother Chu's for both dinner and lunch the next day during a recent trip to Sydney. The food and vibe was fantastic both days. The serves were good size but not huge - we had three dishes plus rice to share between the two of us which was plenty! In particular I loved the way the veggies were cooked.

All meals are vegan except three which contain honey which is a real plus for a travelling vegan!

They don't serve or allow alcohol there which may be an issue for some. We look forward to returning next time we're in Sydney!

Pros: excellent food, nice vibe, friendly
Cassman47
Cassman47

mother chu's

3 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2012

Nice place very friendly people food excellent

Pros: quick, priced moderate, quick service
Cons: none
KatherineH
KatherineH

An institution in veg*n dining in Sydney!

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2011

Of all the vegan/vegetarian restaurants I've ever been to, nothing quite compares to the food at Mother Chu's. I have been going to Mother Chu's for 14 years and I have never left disappointed.

Granted, there have been a couple of dishes over the years that were a bit too strange for me (both times, mock fish dishes), but even these were still tasty and my partner (who is not vegetarian) enjoyed them. However, this is only two dishes out of probably hundreds by now. All the others have been a joy to savour, and we have never left anything uneaten.

You must try the salt and pepper tofu, which is my favourite. Also the crispy gluten, flat rice noodles, tempura sweet potato, and the tofu with shitake mushrooms. The seaweed and moss soup, as a starter, is also a delight.

It can become very busy, but the food usually comes out fairly quickly. It is easy to rack up a bit of a bill, but then again, people who don't usually eat at vege restaurants think I am mad for thinking it is slightly expensive - it really is cheap compared to most places. We are always a group of 4, and we usually spend about $75.

Mother Chu is always sitting in the corner, keeping an eye on things. I would go so far as to say Mother Chu's is a bit of an institution in the veg*n dining world of Sydney, and I cant for the life of me understand why it has only 4 cows for a rating! 5 cows from me and long live Mother Chu!

Pros: Delicious food, Great range of choice, Reliably great food
xraysez
xraysez

Tasty Food But Not Great For Gluten Free.

2 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2011

As a westerner with little experience of Chinese Food I found the menu over whelming, ordered Tofu with cabbage and Curry Rice, which was really tasty!
Only problem was trying to work out what to order for my Gluten Free partner, as their menu doesn't suggest GF options. A separate GF Menu would be helpful!
This meant the Tofu was Steamed not Fried so it absorbed none of the sauce flavour and was a bit unappetising. Also were charged an extra $2 for the sauce to be made GF.
I think it was a little pricey for a backpacker (The conversion from GBP to AUD isn't good)
But the food was very tasty and seemed like popular place.
Beware the opening hours Closed between 3pm-5pm and Sundays I think.

Also I asked if the food was vegan, and was told it is all vegan, but I saw they use Honey in lots of the Dishes, so this might be a consideration for Vegans to think about!

Pros: Very Tasty, Huge selection of Food, Location
Cons: Opening Hours, Little Gluten Free, Pricey
Maddi
Maddi

Fabulous food for hungry vegans on a budget

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

During a recent trip to Sydney to celebrate my 30th birthday with 6 other friends (my husband & I are vegans, our group included 2 veggies, 1 ex-veggie and 2 omnivores) we all tried this place out on the first night when starving and a little drunk - and were delighted with our find! The food was wonderful with so much variety - the omnivorous ones loved their cheat meats and the rest of us reveled in delicious, simple but amazingly tasty stir fried veg, tofu and gluten in a variety of spicy sauces with yummy fried rice and noodles on the side. We liked it so much we all went back again before we left! Highly highly recommended. Prices very very reasonable too,e specially given it's central location.

Pros: Variety of food, Taste, Low prices
Cons: Doesn't stay open late, No byo alcohol and not licensed
Henley
Henley

An OK feed

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

In downtown Sydney in the shadows on Pitt street (close to Central) is Mother Chu's.

Convenient opening times means lunch at 3pm is no problem.

Only been there once, and it was OK. The food was fresh and presented well. Tasted nice, nothing wrong at all. But nothing flash either.

Overall, a good standard chinese vegetarian meal, wholesome but not pretentious.

Pros: Opening times, variety, friendly
Cons: none really
mkpurvis
mkpurvis

A good bet

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2009

The menu was extensive, and the food that I had was fine (and arrived without delay -- some other reviewer seemed to complain about this aspect). Everything was satisfactory. What elevates my rating from 4 stars to 5 stars is the dessert I had: mango "ice cream". This, of course, is made from soy products and is vegan, but it tastes just like real ice cream and is the best I have ever had. You must go this restaurant for this one treat alone. Don't miss it. The next time I am in Sydney I will go to Mother Chu's

Pros: friendly, good portions
VeJo
VeJo

Family friendly

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

Mother Chu's is a great place to take the kids -- especially if their grandparents live interstate, because old mother is always sitting at the back folding wonton papers, or just taking in the atmosphere. The food ranges from exceptional to not so good, so your experience there really depends what you order. I had a mushroom ball thing there once that was amazing. We also tried the peking duck once, though -- which has to be ordered a day in advance -- and I was left wondering what the fuss was about. The menu's so big there, on the other hand, that you could spend many visits trying out everything on offer, and I think it's worth doing. On balance our visits there have been pleasurable.

Pros: good service, large menu
Cons: a little $$$, patchy quality
adam1977
adam1977

disappointing

2 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2009

i'm new to town and have been to Mother Chu's twice since the beginning of the year but was underwhelmed on both occasions. on my first visit, we were served ginger ale past it's use by date. twice! and just last week we ordered a "bird's nest" which consisted of frozen (!!!) vegetables. we sent the dish back to the kitchen in protest (but paid for it out of principle). i really don't know what all the fuss is about this restaurant? perhaps we simply made "wrong" choices? or maybe visited on an "off" day? either way, i'm unlikely to risk it and return to Mother Chu's anytime soon...

philjdomm
philjdomm

Late Start?

3 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

everybody who sat down for dinner waiting for them to open 5pm end up getting their meals super late.
i waited for my dish for 30 mins...do they still ahve that policy where when u wait more than 30 mins, food is free?

anyways...its alright.

it is located on Pitt st. north of liverpool.

• philjdomm philjdomm

UPDATE****
    so i came back from WA and ate there four times and they had this family aura about them and good food.
    they met up to my expectations!!!

Lea
Lea

I agree with cameron about the soy bean roll

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2008

The crispy soy bean roll dish is amazing. Also lurve the crispy gluten, the soy slices with beans, crispy tempeh and green vegies with nuts, the eggplant dishes are beautifully cooked and caramelly-melty. And the 'black pearl' mushroom rissoles and the clay pots. And ... well almost everything! The staff are not excessively attentive, but all you have to do is signal and they will come. And you get to have dessert - a rare treat for vegans eating out! At times like Chinese new year they have extra special dishes which are expensive eg $28. I am saving up to try some of them next year!

Pros: Fantastic food, Brown rice, Vegan ice cream
flytheorient
flytheorient

good food, a bit expensive

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

Had a chance to visit Mother Chu's on my last visit to Sydney. The place is located at the corner of Liverpool and Pitt streets. Near Chinatown and Darling Harbour. About a 15 min. walk from the Opera House.

The food was really good with a large selection. English spoken by staff and service was good.

The items are however, a bit pricey.

Had a small bowl of soup and 1 entree with a bowl of rice, total price was about 23 dollars.

Brown rice also available.

I would definitely go back and try other items on the menu.

Pros: good food, good service
Cons: a bit expensive
dantheduke
dantheduke

Can't go wrong - Good old mother chu!

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2008

Nice and simple place withwho i assume is Mother Chu sat in the corner overseeing things. Lots of choice. Fresh ingredients and lovely jasmine Tea. Price is average. Would definetly go back.

Pros: Lots of choice , Tasty , Healthy
camerongreen
camerongreen

Good Asian Food

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

Went here for dinner and enjoyed it.

It is a very plain setting, cheap and cheerful...well perhaps not cheerful :)

We ordered the mixed entree, was pretty good, maybe a little dry.

We then had curry rice, soy bean roll and Mother Chu's special curry for mains. The highlight of the meal was the Soy Bean Roll. It is a mock meat type dish, with nori around it to give it a seafood flavour, then battered, friend and serving with some sliced veggies and a nice barbecue sauce. The special curry was interesting, pumpkin, avocado and gluten, not something I'd order again but an interesting combination of flavours and perhaps the first time I've had avocado in an asian meal. The curry rice was perhaps the wrong thing to order, as we ate it with the mains and the flavours were hidden, will order steamed rice next time but no complaints either.

This was a good meal and we left satisfied. Not exactly a setting for a date due to the somewhat spartan surroundings and the staff not being overly talkative, but for an informal dinner with friends a good choice.

Have a soy bean roll when you are there too!

Pros: Soy bean roll, No MSG!, Quick service
Cons: Not a pretty restaurant, Staff not overly friendly
  • VeJo VeJo

The battered friend concerns me a little ;)

Stealthflower
Stealthflower

Yum!

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2007

I've been eating at Mother Chu's for over twelve years now; I've never had a bad meal or a bad experience there. My only regret is that my partner's gluten intolerant, so we don't get their crispy fried gluten in savoury sauce any more.

Pros: Fabulous Chinese Food
rach
rach

Good chinese food

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2007

I'm not a big fan of Chinese food in general, but Mother Chu's was quite nice. They have a large selection with a picture menu. Servings were very large and quite flavoursome.

Pros: Large servings
Cons: Ambiance
cheryl_downes
cheryl_downes

Sensational

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2007

The first time I went there, the meal was so great I ate two main courses and went back again the next day!

khity
khity

Gluten Heaven

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2007

Almost every gluten dish is fantastic! They have a large menu and this is our favourite restaurant. Sizling anything is recommended. Don't get the "with vegies" ones are they are always like frozen peas, corn & carrot in the dish. The ones that name the vegies separately are better. The mock ham and pineapple fried rice is our favourite. They offer white or brown rice, even for fried rice. Not an extravagant place, although some meals cost more. Most are about $12. They have fried banana fritter with tofu ice-cream or pineapple. Good location near cinemas, Sydney CBD.

Cons: Not open Sundays
Aloo
Aloo

Fresh interesting food!

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2007

A friend recommended this place to me when I was in Sydney. I would highly recommend it myself! We ordered a few dishes to share, an entree platter: which had a number of sample items. All of them very tasty and leaving me wanting more. I resisted as the mains came along shortly after. The tamerind curry is something I miss now, (back in Melbourne). It was rich, but not too rich, spicy, and nicely blended flavours. Went back the next day and ordered it again! The ambience is simply relaxed, and the service was also good. Will be going back when in Sydney again.

Pros: TASTY food, value for money, helpful staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen: