Vegan restaurant offering a large selection of main dishes, as well as cakes and desserts, drinks, and set meals. Closes 2nd and 4th Wednesday of month. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Western, Raw
309 Saikachicho, Kamigyo Ward
Kyoto, Japan
075-4325017

Open Wed-Mon 11:30am-3pm, 5-9pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-9pm.

First Review by Jessqi
mr.zaatar
mr.zaatar

Decent place for dinner

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

I had dinner here one night and, on the whole, it was enjoyable. The place is interestingly decorated with natural wood slabs as tables. The service is no frills until you ring the little bell for attention.

I ordered the fish burger and it was nice, crisp, and tasty. I could have done with less of the tarter sauce, but it did taste good. The fries on the side were fantastic. They were a bit thicker cut and well seasoned.

For dessert I had the banana caramel pizza and that was a mistake. I should have known better but it just sounded so weird I had to try it. It was just so bland tasting. It is served with a dollop of whipped topping (reminded me of Healthy Top) in the center that melted immediately and pooled onto the pizza. I also had a chai tea which was average.

Pros: Cool decor accents
lovingkarma
lovingkarma

Delicious and relaxing restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

This place was really amazing! I ordered a faux fish burger with fries as well as a parfait for dessert. Maybe not the healthiest choice but it was nice to treat myself. The food was very fresh, tasted incredible and was presented beautifully. The parfait was absolutely incredible! You could easily take a non-vegan here and they would be very satisfied! I absolutely recommend Morpho Café.

Pros: Good atmosphere, Amazing food
Meghanelysem
Meghanelysem

Lovely food, good vibe.

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

Easy to find Vegan on a main road in Kyoto. Found this both on Happy Cow and recommended by the staff at Ks House backpackers. Vegan, organic food is very tasty and wholesome. Cafe is a really beautiful earthen looking spot with butterflies everywhere! Very pretty and a great vibe.

Lemonly
Lemonly

Yummy

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2014

We visited morpho cafe on our last day in kyoto - but wish we went earlier so we had time to return! Super tasty dishes. I ordered the green curry, was quite small but delicious. My boyfriend got the taco rice which was super tasty also. Cool vibe and friendly staff. Definitely give this place a go!

Ayane
Ayane

A nice place

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2014

I like Morpho Cafe for its range of different dishes. The have Teishoku, an assortment of different small foods, which varied every time I've been there. Then they have rice based meals, pasta and burgers. They also sell different products. Sometimes it's cookies and cake, sometimes vegetables. The atmosphere is bright and the staff are friendly.

Pros: wide range of dishes, sale of vegan products (cake, cookies, veggies), quantity of the plates is satisfying
Cons: it's recommended to check if they are open
itzjac
itzjac

Nice food :)

3 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

We went to Morpho twice on our recent travels to Kyoto in Japan.

The service was good and the meals came out fairly quickly. The restaurant is on a main street and is easy to find (we caught a taxi).

The restaurant was clean and had a nice atmosphere. The meals were not bad. We found the pizza to be a little bland, however my boyfriend ordered the spaghetti bolg and it was delicious! The lunch plate was pretty good, but nothing fantastic - we had been in Japan for a few weeks so had some pretty amazing food. The dessert is really good - we tried the banana caramel pizza, chocolate parfait and strawberry cream pancakes - all good. We ate a few different mains so I can't remember exactly what else we wordered but I rememeber nothing was bad, just some things a little bland and others more tasty.

Overall not a bad restaurant and I would probably go back if I was in the area or couldn't go to one of the other amazing veg restaurants in Kyoto.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Clean restaurant, Good dessert and spaghetti bolg
Cons: Some meals a little bland - eg. pizza, You ring a bell on your table for servic
lixxylu
lixxylu

Nice food and atmosphere

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

Firstly the opening hours of this place are really strange. They are closed the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month....
So if unsure call ahead!
Of course, the first time we turned up on the 4th Wednesday!

They also close the doors an hour before their closing time, so don't try and turn up for a quick bite at 10pm or so, as we did the second time!

BUT, when we did finally get to eat there, we tried the Vegan Meat Plate, Tomato Burger, Cream Pasta, Green Curry and Vegan Chocolate Cake.
The food was really good and came fairly quickly. The soya hot chocolates are also amazing!
There is an English menu and the staff speak good English. Very friendly people who are always refilling your water. There is even a little bakery section with cookies and muffins to take away.

The restaurant is clearly marked out the front and we didn't find it difficult to find. Public transport around Kyoto isn't the best, but we took the bus to "Horikawa Shimochojamachi" stop on number 12, 9 or 50 bus and it was just a few minutes walk up the street.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Weird opening times
Nancy Cadet
Nancy Cadet

Friendly cafe, out of the way location

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

Morpho is at the corner of Horikawa and Saikachixho dori , about a 15 minute walk from subway station Imadegawa. A nearby landmark is the Raku Museum. We spent at least an hour trying to find it, without knowing both the names of the two streets above. Hours are 11:30-15:00& 17:00-22:00.

The vegan set was delicious, with unusual takes on carnivore food: vegan Mac and cheese, vegan cole slaw, tofu burger. The cafe atmosphere is welcoming and relaxing, jazz music playing, a bare bones English menu and a friendly waitstaff to explain the options .

The cafe is also walking distance from the Imperial palace and garden--about 15 minutes.

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly ambiance
Cons: Out of the way location
JesseD
JesseD

Great Vegan Restaurant in Central Kyoto

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

I'm not sure when this restaurant opened, but it's a great addition to the Kyoto vegan scene. The food was excellent - typical western/fusion dishes, and the desserts were amazing. I had the Thai Green Curry, and it was delicious and very authentic. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the setting very comfortable. Prices were very reasonable for such great food. This place is definitely worth a visit while in Kyoto!

Pros: great food!, friendly staff, good location and easy to find
alia_801
alia_801

Wonderful food when it's open!

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

We headed here after a long day getting lost in Kyoto. It was very quiet, but the relaxing atmosphere helped us to chill out. We were hard pushed to choose just one meal each from the menu as everything sounded amazing! The burgers were incredible, some of the best we've tried. Some creative desserts were also on offer, including caramel banana pizza - very yummy! We topped everything off with perfect soy hot chocolates.

Staff were friendly and helpful, English menus were available, and the food was definitely worth the visit. The only downside was that when we visited for lunch the next day they were closed :( Hours do seem a little random, so it is worth calling ahead if you're visiting.

Pros: Yummy food, Relaxing atmosphere, Helpful staff
Cons: Opening hours don't seem regular
leftyeye
leftyeye

Lovely

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2013

Very nice food and friendly staff. They spoke english. The food was amazing. If you want to try vegan ramen this is the place.

Pros: Nice food, Friendly staff
poogle
poogle

We came for cake, now we want all the noms!

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

We visited the cafe for some sweets because we had dinner elsewhere, but soon regretted our decision after we saw all the fantastic (and inexpensive, regarding japanese prices) food.
While the chocolat cake was quite small and seemed bit pricy (500Â¥) compared to whole menu items like cassarole for about 600Y, it was suprisingly opulent. The decoration was made with strawberries, whipped cream, pistachios, chocolate sauce, a cute butterfly shaped cookie and caramell decoration.
The food on other people's tables also were lovely decorated and mouthwatering.
They also had some items of the day (like cute catshape-cookies, muffins and so on) which were also available as take-away and started at 50Y.
Morpho Cafe seems to be kids-friendly, they have some smaller tables and a lot of picture books. (Which are also quite nice for japanese learners :))

If we ever have the chance to be in Kyoto again, we'll definitely visit Morpho Cafe again for some main dishes.

jon active
jon active

Lovely

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

This place was easy to find, we just cycled north up the main road past the Nijo Castle and keep going till you see the cafe on a corner on the left hand side.
Inside is comfy and clean and the staff were friendly and spoke some English. The menu was interesting with a mix of Japanese and variations on "western' vegan food. Portions were just big enough to satisfy and the bill wasn't too big either! We'd definitely go again.

Pros: Good food, Nice place, Some English spoken
Cons: Not central, Not cheap
rockcita
rockcita

vegan food at its best

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2012

Despite it's odd name, Morpho Cafe is truly a treasure. It has a small, but varied menu, which has English descriptions on it. I ate there 4 times, and was satisfied with the quality and quantity of the food along with the prices every time. Drinks are much costlier than in America, but that's how it is in all Japanese restaurants. Each table has a small bell to ring if the staff is needed, and unless you do so, they allow you to dine without interruptions. The staff is friendly and helpful, and one of them (I think he's the owner) speaks fluent English. Morpho is a small place, seating 20, and is warm, gently lit, comfy and quiet. It's simply, but nicely decorated, and has soft background music. There is one small, but modern, efficient and clean restroom. Morpho Cafe is the kind of place you'll want to go to on a chilly Kyoto day and find excuses for lingering over your meal.

Pros: cozy and inviting, terrific food, friendly staff
Cafe Mousebear
Cafe Mousebear

Best vegan food in Kyoto!

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2012

I visited Morpho Cafe in Kyoto lately on my visit in Japan and it was the best vegan restaurant I have been during my whole three weeks in Japan (which included Tokyo and many other places, not only Kyoto).
The food was absolutely delicious, the ingredients fresh and well chosen, the menu was very reasonably priced (vegan hamburger with awesome home made fries was about 750 Yen, which is really cheap for Japans restaurants). The dishes are a mixture of western and japanese food. There are pizzas, burgers, but also miso soup and soy meat dishes. The desserts were absolutely amazing as well. The apple tart and caramel-banana "pizza" were very good and beautifully prepared.
You should definitely check it out!
PLUS: there are cookies and muffins ready for take out (varying between 100 and 150 yen).

Pros: Excellent taste, Friendly english speaking staff, Value for money
Cons: No credit cards accepted
Nails
Nails

Nice flavour

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

Contrary to the other reviews, my food was defiantly hot enough.
I ordered a platter that was on special and a pizza, all up it cost me 2000 yen and I feel it was money well spent.
Clean and tidy, good service. Would trade again/10

Jessqi
Jessqi

Yummy Food

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

This cafe serves western style fake meat food. A lovely light restaurant with friendly helpful staff and an English menu. I had the eggplant and "meat" sauce pizza. The sauce and eggplant were great tasting but it was obviously reheated and the middle was a little cold and the base a little tough. This is possibly due to it being last order time when we arrived. My friend got the burger and thought it was very good.

Pros: Good flavours, Friendly staff, Nice space
Cons: Food not reheated well, Food reheated

Dear Owner and Manager of Morpho Cafe: