Morning Glory Bakery and Cafe

Conscious kitchen serving vegan and vegetarian breakfast and lunch. Vegan, wheat-free, sugar-free baked goods, monthly organic specials, house-made breads, vegan french toast, waffles, biscuits and gravy, tofu scramble, vegan omelets, sandwiches, soups, salads, fresh-squeezed organic juices, smoothies, and organic coffee bar. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Bakery, Take-out

First Review by tartarugafechada
Songlove
Songlove

Unforgetful food

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

It is a reasonable place nearby amtrack station..and valuable food. I already love its food..i will definitely come again! :)

nelliejean
nelliejean

I underestimated this place

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

I wasn't expecting much, but... Entire case full of vegan goodies! Don't charge for soy milk. Pastries were great- cinnamon bun was dry on outside, but everything else was perfect. $1 day old pastries! Tasty & cheap!

Pros: baked goods, diverse options, breakfast
Cons: tempting sweets!, just ok coffee, slow service
blisssu
blisssu

A Reliable Treat in Eugene

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

We completely agree with VeganMusicMan--Morning Glory is a must-stop anytime (before 3:30) we're near Eugene. At our most recent visit, the cheerful interior had been repainted and as usual there was an interesting show of local art on the walls. The servers were pleasant and helpful, and if there ever was a problem with slow service, I don't remember it. My usual tendency is to order one of their sweet vegan breakfasts, such as the smackin' sweet Vegan Cranberry Walnut Waffles and the Blueberry-Ginger Smoothie shown in my photos, but this time I branched out to savory and ordered Chilaquiles, a rustic dish of the chef's invention. The young woman who took our order promised me it was delicious, even though I had my doubts about the idea of blue corn chips mixed into a tofu scramble. The dish satisfied on every level--flavor (sort of down-home with cumin), appearance (lots of vitamin-rich colors), and generously sized (I took a recycled paper container home with enough for the next day's lunch). Jerry let me taste his order, Little Bear's Vegan Omelette, which was folded into a crackling crisp shredded potato shell, surrounded by a bunch of sautéed vegetables and topped with tofu-based sour cream. I had my eye on one of their intriguing pastries (vegan key lime shortbread) but the feast had left me too full. Next time . . .
Updated from previous review on Friday June 21, 2013

Pros: Palate-pleasing vegan comfort food, Friendly service, Cheerful surroundings
Cons: Only open till 3:30 pm, Vegetarian fare, not exclusively vegan
rockcita
rockcita

"Do you want flies with that"?

2 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

This restaurant is easy to spot by the whimsical mileage sign posts out front and the 6 foot tall bike tire sculpture. It has enough tables to seat 42 and a small counter seats 3 more. Its a breakfast and lunch place and serves breakfast till closing time at 3:30. They offer a fine selection of breakfast items, sandwiches, and salads, along with other items. Hot tea is served in a two cup cast iron tea pot, which keeps your second cup hot till you want it. The two restrooms are very clean, bright and well stocked. Blackboards and chalk in the restrooms allow people to leave messages without marking up the walls with graffiti. On the down side, on my first visit, there were several little "critters" flying around inside. When I went back two days later, they were still flying around. Flies and food don't mix in my book. This restaurant is cheery and has an accommodating staff. Perhaps a little too accommodating, as on my second visit, a couple came in with two dogs (not guide dogs) and asked if it was okay to bring them in. Not only did the waitress tell them it was fine, but she then brought out a bowl of water for them. Now I like dogs, but I don't want to dine with them. I don't know what The Oregon Department of Health's stand is on dogs in eateries, but I have a feeling its against the rules. Even though the food is good, because of the flies and dogs, I can't give this place a very high rating.

Pros: good food, large portions, fair prices
Cons: flies, dogs inside
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

Hippie place for some veggie food.

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2011

Feel free to take this review for what it's worth. A small group of us ate here, but all we had was coffee, teas and muffins but we did see some of the food coming out, can't really say how it tasted. Lots of vegan options, gf, all kinds of stuff. Overall the atmosphere was pretty chill and the waitress seemed a little spacy but cool (It was 420 after all, so I didn't think much of it) I liked how this place felt and if I'm back in Eugene I'll stop by for a vegan breakfast. If you want a relaxed veggie/vegan hippie type place, check it out. There teas were good and they had some really intersting varieties.

Pros: view/atmosphere, vegan options
MarkUser
MarkUser

Tasteless

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

I know most of my reviews consist of the same negative aspects, but it's indicative of this town as a whole I believe. Vegetarian/Vegan does not have to mean TASTELESS! Bland bland bland, and then some. I hear the dill biscuits are pretty tasty but both times I've been there they, of course, didn't have any.

This place is a step above Keystone at least but they need to learn how to salt/spice their food. The gravy & biscuits have so much potential the consistency is all there and it looks like it should be delicious but it just isn't.

And they are slow as can be as well. Hope you like the smell of coffee because the coffeeshop smells overpower any pleasant odors that may come off of your food.

Pros: Consistency (stretching I know), Price
Cons: Bland, Slow
VeganMusicMan
VeganMusicMan

Love it!

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

I've been coming here for years, whenever I pass through Eugene I have breakfast here. I recommend ANY of the breakfasts....they've all been delicious: from the biscuits and gravy to The Owl and The Pussycat (sauteed tofu with herbed potatoes). The coffee is excellent as well. Regarding the service: I've never had problems. Once you learn that it is a mix of getting stuff yourself and them bringing you things it is fine.

The Hungry Vegan
The Hungry Vegan

A Worthwhile Venture

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2010

The service here is usually pretty shoddy. The food is delicious and creative (try Little Bear's Vegan Omelette and delicious vegan rice crispie treats). You never have to explain what vegan or gluten-free means, and they have abundant choices. Don't expect much from the servers and you'll do just fine.

Pros: Great Food
Cons: Service, Can Be Slow
veganroadrunner
veganroadrunner

Decent Food, Indecent Service

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

I'll preface this by saying I've worked in the service industry, so I have sympathy. But when you walk into a nearly empty cafe on a regular basis and the staff are talking amongst each other at length and finally break off to say to you "Can I help you?" (rather than "Two for breakfast?"), you know you've got a problem. I used to love Morning Glory when Misha, et al ran it, but it's a sad ghost of its former self. The food has suffered and the service is pathetic. I dearly wish I could say something better about it.

Cons: Poor Service, Over-priced, Bad Cooking
HappySeattleVegan
HappySeattleVegan

Not the best food, not the worst

2 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2010

When I ate at Morning Glory, I felt like I was eating at a place that gives vegans a bad name. I ordered the breakfast sandwich and what I got was a mess that tasted like a salt lick. I also ordered the pancakes, which were a disappointment. I don't want to bash the restaurant, but I was not too satisfied with my menu offering. I could have made better food at home, but I wanted to experience all vegan food in Eugene. I won't be back to this restaurant.

Eric Devin
Eric Devin

Good stuff

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2010

Morning Glory is definitely the best place for breakfast in Eugene. Most menu items (which include rotating specials) can be made vegan, the coffee is good, and the service is generally friendly and prompt, even when it's busy , which it usually is on weekends. It is a little steep for breakfast compared to some other places (entrees are in the $9 range), but it is generally worth it. Try the Fusion, biscuits and gravy, French toast, and Happy Morning Sandwich.

Pros: Good food, service
tpn423
tpn423

Love Morning Glory!

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

We just moved to Eugene, and we love Morning Glory! Very casual, relaxed spot with great food. I've tried perhaps six different entrees, and all have been tasty. I especially love their breads and pastries -- all vegan, all the time! Yum! Also -- great staff. Very welcoming and helpful.

Pros: great food, great value, friendly staff
rainfall2008
rainfall2008

Delicious Cafe

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2009

I had the homemade vegan pumpkin waffles, and they were divine! Love how many vegan options they have!

Pros: delicious food, accomodating staff, wide menu
Green Bird
Green Bird

Great Menu

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

I used to visit here for lunch with school friends often and also for breakfasts with my husband on weekend mornings. The food here is wonderful and there are so many vegan options. I usually get into a rut at restaurants once I find my favorite I order it over and over but here I usually got something different. I love the happy morning sandwich and the biscuits and gravy are good. Their mushroom gravy is quite tasty. The waffles, pancakes, pretty much everything is great. Everyone I dined with was always very pleased, vegan and carnivores alike.

The place can get busy at times but we never waited for a table. Go for a relaxing meal and enjoy the rotating art on the walls and the activity of the train station outside.

They're vegan baked goods are great too including the banana bread, delicious!

Pros: Many vegan options, Flavorful food, Art on walls
Cons: Not entirely vegan
kindlizard
kindlizard

updated review for jekyll & hyde

3 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2008

Updated since I have been going since the cafe's first night open.

I don't want to say too much of what my issues are, but if someone from the cafe wants to pm me, I will gladly get into it. I just don't want to hurt the cafe too much in a review.

But for my vegan friends out there, this ain't what it once was, though the entrees at least have stabilized (good thing). The sides, soups and coffees have all taken a tumble as well as some other standards, sadly. I think they need to get everyone on the same page. Too much turnover, too much variation from visit to visit. This has the potential, b/c it once was, the best place for breakfast. Still likely best in Oregon, but I say that with a caveat that it is NOT always.

If passing through, sure, you may hit it on a great day and think it is the best place ever. Or you may have no idea why folks think it is the bee's knees.

If anyone at the cafe or any customer wants more info, pm me please.

Pros: entrees have been steadily good
Cons: TOO INCONSISTENT, no quality control
  • kindlizard kindlizard

Don't know what you mean by "Conscious kitchen with kosher preparation techniques". Kosher prep techniques??? They don't mix meat and milk? No shellfish? What veggie-style kosher techniques are employed? Conscious? I don't know about that either. They mess up plenty of orders, some very basic. Shananigans to that idea!!!

• kindlizard kindlizard

will update again soon; consistency has been better, as have some other issues. 4 cows, but will write when i have more time. still can be better, but its better than it had been

suecag
suecag

Pretty good vegan breakfast

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2008

Morning Glory Cafe is pretty good. I had the Happy Morning Sandwich - a fresh biscuit, split, toasted and topped with a soysage patty, spinach, tomato slices, "glorious" tofu patty, tofu sour cream, and served with herbed glory potatoes covered with tantric mushroom gravy and green onions, $8. It was fantastic. The taste of the biscuit was great and the combination of the items on the super tall sandwich was wonderfully tasty. My girlfriend had the Little Bear's Vegan Omelette - broccoli, zucchini, carrots, and onion sauteed with special spices, folded into a shredded potato shell topped with herbed tofu sour cream, green onions, diced tomatoes, and served with homemade bread, $8.25. This was too much Indian spicy as a breakfast meal for me. The shredded potato shell idea is genius but this was a disappointment. I wanted to get the Fusion plate which had tofu and the potato shell but they said they couldn't make it without mushrooms which I don't like much.

We went there for a late breakfast and there weren't many people there at that time, yet our food took a long time and service was minimal.

Pros: Happy Morning Sandwich
Cons: Slow
Hoveringdog
Hoveringdog

Morning Glory saved my sanity.

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

Maybe it was the insanity induced by driving all night, but stopping for breakfast at Morning Glory during a thousand-mile roundtrip was a decision I won't soon forget. Fantastic brunch options, friendly staff, huge portions. I'm well pleased that I noted down this gem of a cafe as a road-trip waypoint.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: pay for parking
tartarugafechada
tartarugafechada

tofufast

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2007

a vegan oasis next door to the train depot, Morning Glory is a great spot for early (or late) scrambled tofu and homemade bread. try their vegan omelets, consisting of scrambled tofu wrapped and folded into a hashbrown skin and topped with their homemade vegan sour cream, and their fresh baked spelt bread. almost everything on the menu is either vegan or can be made that way. the vibe is relaxed, reminding me of a small town grill with a staff of vegans and bike messengers. and bring Fido -- dogs are welcome in their outdoor seating area and, if you ask, they will even bring a bowl of water.

Pros: vegan omelets, friendly and knowledgable staff, chill environs
Guest
Guest

Great restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2007

Everything we ordered was excellent, in the tradition of the [now defunct] NYCity spot: Arnold's Turtle.

Tastes better than the menu descriptions. You won't be disappointed.

Pros: creative dishes, well spiced, high end vege cooking
Cons: no cell phone use allowed

Dear Owner and Manager of Morning Glory Bakery and Cafe: