A casual cooperative veggie food cafe in Christiania run by mostly young people. It's a 15 minute walk from Copenhagen centre or take bus 66. Offers a daily selection of 5-6 prepared salads, 2 hot dishes, a soup of the day, and drinks. Kitchen staff changes, as do the flavors of the food depending on the cook on duty. Sit inside in the basic yet cozy space, or outside on wooden tables in the rustic garden among sparrows. Direction: walk 3 minute into Christiania, and you will come upon the restaurant (or ask someone). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Fast food

First Review by matrosin
piffelina
piffelina

Great food

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

I liked this a lot - I just wish it was fully vegan. I still recommend it though!

Pros: Great vibe, Great food
Cons: Not all vegan, A littel hard to find
Fabiola
Fabiola

Super tasty food in a lovely place

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

The food is very well cooked, with excellent ingredients, all homemade fresh. The salads were superb, and the place nice and quiet to eat.

Pros: Quality of food
Manuela
Manuela

A nice surprise in the heart of Christiania

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

First vegan restaurant we tried during our stay in Copenhagen- we had lunch under the sun, in the colorful garden and I have to say the food is really good quality for the price. The menu is not very wide (5 types of salad, one soup, one vegetable rice, one lasagna) and I must admit I was not ready to give a penny to the place, despite the positive reviews I had read. I changed my idea as soon as I tasted my salad and my soup: food is good and well, you have got to try it, at least once, for the particular atmosphere.

Pros: Nice Food, Nice portions, Inexpensive

Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Cheap and tasty

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2014

It's not too hard to find although the address won't help in Christiania. The 9A bus to the Opera gets you closest, and once you go through the Christiania gate head off at an angle about ten o'clock. It is a strange hippyish area with 'no photos' signs, but plenty of tourists go there, and when you get to the cafe you can expect a warm welcome,

There was plenty of choice when we went and free tap water (rare in Copenhagen) with slices of fruit. We couldn't finish our piled-high platefuls.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Free water
Cons: Hard to find, Hippyish
syrupofipecac
syrupofipecac

Such a cosy place!

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

Love it! It's especially nice in the summer when you can sit outside in the small garden. The food was great and the staff was really friendly!

presidentzich
presidentzich

Best choice in CPH

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

We had a wonderful time in this lovely place.
The nice staff explained the courses and we could taste the dedication of the preparation.
Soup, main course and salad - everything extraordinary!
We'll be back - promise.

Pros: atmosphere, food quality, calm
rkung
rkung

Our GO-TO eatery

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

Anytime we don't feel like cooking at home, we go to Morgenstedet. The food is always tasty, vegetarian, and organic. We also like that there are different dishes every time we go, so no two visits are the same. The selection can be limited though, so the choice is normally between 2 dishes (sometimes one is a soup) and a variety of side salads. The prices are very reasonable for the generous portions. The atmosphere is very relaxed and there is plenty of seating outside during the summer. Inside seating is limited, so I wouldn't recommend large parties during the winter months. Overall we love this place and treat it as our second kitchen.

Pros: Generous portions, Good value
Cons: Choices can be limited
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

a must go and eat inside the free city Christiania

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2013

Ecological food and mostly vegan. Friendly stall; talk to them about the food. This is a down-to-earth place, nice, also with sitting outside, in the warmer period.
Since the special area Christiania is a must visit when in Copenhagen, why not stop at this restaurant.
It is easy to find by their entrance decorations (see the pictures on this web-site). Otherwise just ask some of the locals there, as they should know. And do not get discouraged by the looks of the "open city" Christiania, it hosts a very nice community of people. The restaurant is not expensive. Read through their magazines lying around there (like the EcoVillage organization magazine).

NOTE: I do not think this restaurant accepts credit cards (I payed cash).

Pros: vegan dishes, organic ingredients, down-to-earth outside sitting
Jirko
Jirko

Best one in town

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2012

Morgenstedet offers very good value for money food. The portions are large and the food is cheap (for Copenhagen standards, 10 eur daily menu). The atmosphere is very laid back and informal. The place itself is rather small and i would recommend you not to come too late in the evening because you might get stuck with whatever is left over and that would be a real shame because the food is actually very tasteful and well spiced.

Pros: cheap, large portions , very tastefull
Cons: limited choice, small place
JonTurner2000
JonTurner2000

Get Yourself Here - In Christiania

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

Small restaurant that also has outdoor bench seating. Great portion of a tasty main dish with choice of salads. There are only a couple of dishes on each day, but the food was really fresh. Informal atmosphere - which is hardly surprising given the location. Good value and definitely recommended. You can get a feel for the place from their website.

Pros: Fresh, Nutritious, Good Value
Cons: Limited Choice, Small if too cold for outdoors
amurleopard42
amurleopard42

Tasty and down-to-earth food

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

This is a nice place -- good food, large portions, unique but not fancy ambiente. We had the dish of the day, which was mix vegetables on brown rice with parsnip-fennel sauce, freshly baked bread, and chai with soy milk -- all for 100 DKK ~ 13 EUR per person. The only thing we missed was a dessert. ;-)

Pros: tasty food, large portions
Chia
Chia

Good Concept Food Varies

3 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

Came here on a past trip to Denmark, and here's my Morgenstedet review.

It was nice to find a vegetarian food restaurant in Copenhagen. The location is a short walk into Chrisitiania. The cafe is situated in a place much like a house with a short fence and yard.

The food is already made, with a selection of cold salad items kept in a glass case while the hot main dish items kept warm inside pots. My husband and I shared a combo plate that consisted of 1 main dish (eggplant/nuts/mushroom curry over brown rice) and 1 side salad (soba noodles with seaweed). Food was okay but a bit on the salty side.

After our meal, we were informed that the cook changes on a weekly basis; depending on the cook on staff, the food tastes vary.

Pros: laid back, has vegan food, affordable
Cons: hit or miss quality
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

delicious food

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

Found it at the end of a street at the far end of the "village." Delicious soup: thick, spinach with lentils, beans and carrots, nicely herbed and spiced, DK40 without bread (45 with bread); salad of greens and pumpkin 30. Cheerful decor. Upbeat background music, Indian theme. Menu includes 4 salads for DK90, hot meal 75. Staff speaks English.

Pros: tasty food, salad selection
braddersfromtheblock
braddersfromtheblock

Good food, & cheap!

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

Really enjoyed eating at this place. Several choices of hot dishc(all at price of 75DKK per serving - really cheap for Copenhagen!) - I Had brown rice, leek & creamy sauce with roasted veg and butternut squash. Portions were generous and you could taste the ingredients were fresh and good quality. We had popped our heads around the door the previous day and it smelt amazing then too, unfortunately we had already eaten that day! Really good quality food at a cheap price & would definitely eat there again. As others have said not all that easy to find, it is close to the folk art shop and the bring & take / free shop. Worth a visit!

Pros: Cheap, Good food & ingredients, Lots of choice including salads
Cons: Service a bit slow
jorje44
jorje44

Great place

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

We ate at Morgenstedet twice in October 2011. The meals were quite different but both were very good (some kind of lasagna type dish and a rice/broccoli dish under a spicy sauce. The hummus was the best we'd ever had.

Very cozy place in an interesting location - Christiania. If we ever go back to Copenhagen we'll eat here again.

Pros: Food, Friendly staff, Healthy
tempehlnova
tempehlnova

hum da hum-mus!

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2011

The hummus here is excellent! Never ever tasted better one. For 10€ you'll get a large plate of vegan or vegetarian food of the highest order, but in a casual, home-made way. Twice I ate there and both time my stomach was full and good the whole day without being stuffed. The atmosphere is pleasant with a charming backyard to sit and enjoy watching the small sparrows fight over fallen left-over from other lucky guests who visited this place.

Pros: the food, the place, the hummus!
thebadfairy
thebadfairy

Hummus a-ok.

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2011

Morgenstedet is a fantastic place and hands down the best Veg place in Copenhagen - and not just because it's really the only one. Excellent food, lovely staff and great prices. Menu changes almost daily in line with seasonality and availability.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
papercutexit
papercutexit

Good place for cheap food

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2010

I went to Morgenstedet in August 2010. We had some trouble finding it in Christiania, but after a bit of walking around just found it by accident - it's almost at the far end of the area.

We had a "super f*ing good greek gratin" (that was the title on the menu board!) with potatoes, beans and tomatoes, alongside some salads (carrot and quinoa) and a spinach soup. The bill came to around DK 150 for two people, including drinks, which is probably the cheapest it can get for a hot meal in Copenhagen!

I really enjoyed the food - the gratin and soup were a bit salty indeed, but also packed with fresh herbs and spices, which was very tasty. I'd definitely come back for lunch when I'm in the area, as it's good value for money, the staff were really friendly and it was nice to sit outside on the benches. I prefer a relaxed atmosphere and homecooked food that's maybe not 100% perfect to overpriced fine dining! :)

Pros: nice homecooked food, very cheap
guppiebugs
guppiebugs

basic and good

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2009

Been here on a few occasions. Always found the staff to be pleasant and willing to explain what was in the stove since I don't speak danish, copenhagish or christianash. Not expensive. In the summer you can sit outside. Basic and nice blends very well into the Christiana area.

Pros: price, quality
Cons: sometmes a bit crowded
ampallang
ampallang

wonderful

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2009

i've wanted to go here a few times but only now ihave been. The kichen didnt know if the hot dish was vegan, sometimes that happens and seems really common in copenhagen for peopleto be fully aware if somethig is vegan. All the salads were vegan and very nice. I hada platefor 20 kr with a pasta salad, bean salad and hummus. I think there hummus is lovely. I do think that it mustdepend on theweek you go to whatfoodyou have offered. Iwillgoback and compare. Muh nicer than den gronne kaelder an cheapr.

Pros: tasty food, cheap, great location
Cons: unsure of vegan dishes, limited choice, but great food
gisaster25
gisaster25

Go early for more choices. Avoid the hummus.

2 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2008

Two friends and I ate dinner here in August '08. We arrived toward the end of the dinner service and there were few foods left. The kitchen staff assembled plates of whatever they had so we each got half a plate of hummus (not good) and a grain salad. I felt quite ill after eating.

Pros: Lovely outdoor setting, Convivial atmosphere
Cons: Bad hummus, No options if you arrive late
Rosalita
Rosalita

Nice atmosphere.

3 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2008

This place is worth a visit for it's unique location and nice scenery.
They serve various salats and a they always have a vegan hot dish option (usually a kind of salty coconut sauce with lemon or orange flavor and boiled vegetables with brown rice)and it's 98 procent organic.
I eat there frequently.

Pros: Organic, Nice surroundings , Staff
matrosin
matrosin

alternativ

3 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2008

Really alternativ. Food is not that special but i liked the atmpsphere really much. Hard to find. But check out christiana

Pros: vegan friendly, alternativ
Cons: hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Morgenstedet: