Opened Jun 2013, this organic cafe offers healthy meals made with local ingredients. Menu changes and includes soups, salads, stews, pies, and pudding. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, British, English, Take-out
52 Kings Rd, Leonards-on-sea
Hastings, England TN37 6DY
01424-319056

Open Tue-Fri 11am-3pm, Sat 10am-5pm.

First Review by Miggi
Mark1967
Mark1967

Vegan!!

3 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2014

Great little place with very fresh ingredients and great menu board that seams to change every time I go in there!

Pros: Vegan!, Fresh!, Beer!
Cons: None!
Fourfold
Fourfold

Lunch At MOOSE'S KITCHEN

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

Excellent lunch- we ended up having the full 3 courses. Yellow tomato and white wine soup, selection of salads with quinoa and beetroot patties and a sticky toffee pudding just out of the oven. All vegan. All beautifully presented and all of delicious. Decor very tasteful and toilet very clean. This little restaurant deserves to be really successful. Non vegans would enjoy it just as much as us vegans.

Pros: Tasty, well presented and imaginative food. Friend
Cons: Bit of Background Music Might Have Helped The Ambi
stevegan
stevegan

Lucky Vegans!

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

How lucky we vegans are to have a dedicated eatery in our little town - & Moose's Kitchen can hardly be faulted!
Small but delicious selection of mains, savouries, cakes & puds on the daily changing menu – all served by friendly, chatty staff.

Mainly daytime, but occasionally has a special evening event going on in addition to their normal hours, such as music, cabaret, food day celebrations, classes, films & talks etc.

Very reasonable prices for mainly organic, fresh made food.

A previous reviewer is confusing the terms “value for money” & “cheap” - but a cheap (or cheaper) meal is not necessarily value for money!

Vegans & vegetarians – come & seek out this place, which I heartily recommend.

Updated from previous review on Thursday May 29, 2014

Pros: 100% vegan, Nice vibe , 2 minutes from mainline station

Kim Stallwood
Kim Stallwood

Delicious lunch at Moose

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2014

Today I had a delicious lunch at Moose's Kitchen. I had a mixed salad of beetroot, green leaves, tofu, and grains with bread. All very good quality and well prepared and presented. Also had a very tasty walnut chocolate cake. The cafe is attractive and larger than I thought. My lunch mates had a curry that they praised highly. They enjoyed their time at Moose's.

Pros: Vegan, Quality, Delicious
CarlWKL
CarlWKL
  • non-vegetarian

Beautiful Brunch

5 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

On a return visit to Moose's Kitchen and feeling like I needed a good refuel I tried the Brunch. Bloomin luverly plate of all kinds of smokey, tangy, warming goodness. I was really amazed by the pan fried smoked tofu and tempeh - real depth of flavour and really satisfying. The baked beans were the best I've tasted anywhere. Just a really great meal and a relaxed and friendly place to recharge. Coming back for more.

Pros: Delicious hearty food, Relaxed atmosphere, Chic decor
Cons: Popular dishes can sell out
just
just

Vegantastic!

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

What a wonderful cafe! Loved everything about the place, most importantly starting with the food! I had a tasty curry which came with dhal, rice and salad. Everything was really good, the flavours all worked well together and it was a big plateful which i liked! I was too full for dessert but bought a raw choc brownie which i had later and was delicious! It was great to be somewhere where everything was vegan and knowing i could eat anything on the menu. I really like the feel of the place , the staff were all very friendly and it's definitely somewhere i want to go back to.

Pros: Yum food!, Friendly atmosphere., Totally vegan.
Cons: It's too far from my home!
positively vegan
positively vegan

Organic, Ethical & Vegan!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

I visited Moose's Kitchen recently and wow what a treat! Its a beautiful little cafe with yummy food, lovely decor and friendly staff.
I had the Thai yellow vegetable & tofu curry which was really flavoursome, authentic tasting and beautifully presented! For £7.50 I thought this was amazing value considering all produce is organic and locally sourced.
I like the fact that the menu changes daily depending on whats available and in season.
The Soup (which also sounded yummy) and the Dips with Bread & Crudites plate at £4.50, I also thought were great value. In fact everything is priced the same as you would find elsewhere yet the focus is on local, organic and sustainability.

If you care about the planet this the place to eat! Well done!

Pros: Vegan, Excellent value, Friendly staff
fuz1987
fuz1987

At least no Moose were harmed in its making

2 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I for once found myself ambivalent about eating in a Vegan restaurant. I will start with the positives which were that the staff were nice and the location good for train and beach with a quirky décor. It is also 100% vegan and uses local in season produce all of which are big plus factors.

Although very quiet when we visited it had clearly been busy as things kept falling off the limited menu. Limited actually doesn't cover the menu with five items covering three courses when we got there and 3 covering two when we left. I guess from the board that there is normally 1 soup, 1 starter of mixed dips, 2 mains and 2 deserts. So if your expecting choice this isn't the place for you.

Half the courses I had were very good, the other half were mediocre/poor and my desert disappointing beyond words (chocolate cake which tasted of nothing and was dry with weak chocolate sauce).

The last issue was price, even as a vegan I am still a consumer and what was provided was overpriced. Overall however if you are looking for solely Vegan cuisine or to support a Vegan enterprise this is a good option. If you want choice and value for money I suggest trying somewhere else.

Pros: Vegan, Location, Seasonal
Cons: Lack of Choice, Price
  • MoosesKitchen MoosesKitchen

Thanks for the review. Just a quick response to say I agree we do offer a limited choice because our menu is based around local, organic, seasonal produce so we don't have a set menu and cook fresh everyday. As a small cafe we only have time to prepare so many dishes and want to make the most of the vegetables we have, which is why we focus on salads, and have a salad plate with 4 different salads everyday, a soup of day, a dips plate with 3 different dips, and one or two hot specials. However, this also means unfortunately if it's really busy we may run out of some dishes. We based our prices on average prices charged in similar cafes in the area £4.50 for soup & bread, £7.50 for mains and £2.50 for cakes and £3.50-4.50 for desserts but as nearly 100% of our ingredients are organic and everything is made from scratch by ourselves we feel these prices are fair. But we're sorry if some of our dishes didn't come up to scratch as we've only been open a few weeks we're still learning and take on board your comments about cake as we've realised we may need to tweak a few recipes to ensure they're always as yummy and moist as we'd like them to be.

Miggi
Miggi

Vegan Heaven In St Leonards

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

So great to eat somewhere totally vegan! Currently open daytime for soups, salads, dips, dish of the day and all-important cakes, but expecting to open evenings too so I hope to come back for a dinner soon.
Tried the dips - 3 unusual fresh dips with crudités salad and bread. Surprisingly filling platter well presented with edible flower garnish.Coffee and walnut cake had good flavour. Choice of soya oat or nut milks for teas and coffees. Makes effort to source local seasonal food. Very friendly relaxed service. Brilliant.

Pros: Vegan, Supports Local Producers, Fresh
Cons: Too Far From My House!

Dear Owner and Manager of Moose's Kitchen: