Serves meat, veg options available. This Vietnamese restaurant has a separate vegetarian menu featuring mostly mock meat dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vietnamese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
1921 S Jackson St (20 Ave S, downtown Seattle)
Seattle, Washington 98144
206-322-3378

First Review by punkinness
bitebitebite
bitebitebite

Pleasantly rich - not too much so

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2014

Fake meat dishes in Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants are often heavy and greasy. In this regard Moonlight was a pleasant surprise (at least for the dishes I tasted on a visit there).

There was definitely some richness and grease present, but in just the right amount. It wasn't overdone, there was plenty of flavor and it was easily less than Bamboo Garden.

I was there on a weekday evening and it was busy, but we didn't have to wait too long (in the cute waiting area). The ambiance is ok, but it can be rather loud and difficult to hold a conversation across a table.

Service was decent. Neither outstanding nor anything complain about.

As other's mention - you'll want the green menu. There are so many options! I'll be going back to try more, just not right away.

Pros: Wide selection, Plenty of flavor, not overdone, Reasonably priced
Cons: A little on the loud side
salxvx
salxvx

Best asian food in town!

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

I used to live in Seattle and whenever I got a craving for asian food this was my go to place and it never let me down. I should also say that this place is still worth coming back to every time I'm in town. They have a vegan and an omni menu so make sure you get the green one as the items on the vegan one are also described as "beef" and "chicken" so it can be a bit confusing. They make their own fake meats and you can tell the texture is different than most asian places, as for the flavor: it is unsurpassable. I recently went back and took some friends who are vegan, locals and had never heard of it. They were mesmerized with how good the food is. You can tell a place is good/legit when you go at lunch hour and it is crowded with natives. It was always a reassuring feeling when I started noticing that. Portions are good as well as the prices. My only complaint about this place is that not enough vegan people know about it. It is an absolute must!

Pros: Excellent Food, Good value, Good portions
Cons: Also serves meat
Vegegas
Vegegas

Delicious!

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2010

I rarely give 5 stars (happy cow only allows a 4 star rating for non-vegetarian restaurants, a mistake since that's where you find the best vegetarian food,) but this place serves the best asian vegetarian food in Seattle, and the prices are affordable. Try the vermicelli noodles with lemongrass (mock) chicken, or the general tso chicken (kids favorite.) The special Pho comes with a variety of mock meats. Tofu is available if you don't like fake meat. The special appetizer with an abundance of vegetables, fake meats and noodles which you roll into transparent rice or bean sheets, after soaking them in hot water, is spectacular - enough food for a full meal for 2 people. Everything is very tasty and consistent. Service is not great, but acceptable.

Pros: tasty, affordable, consistent
Cons: service, decor

Chef Kati
Chef Kati

Always Divine!

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2009

We have been to Moonlight more than 15 times and obviously like it a lot! We have taken non vegetarian friends many times and because of the two menus (red for carnivores and green for we veggies) everyone is happy. There are over 100 items on the vegetarian menu and we've never been disappointed. Parking is right in front and free.

Pros: Varied & large menu, free parking in front, authentic ingredients
annabrick
annabrick

Vegan, yes, but greasy

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2009

Pros: offers a full, separate, vegan menu - most of the meat and chicken dishes available with tofu and seitan (gluten) substitutes. A regular menu is also available, so your non-vegetarian friends can also be accommodated.
Cons: unfortunately, if you are even minimally health-conscious, you'll find the food to be greasy. I don't mean fatty and flavorful (a guilty pleasure): I mean greasy. We did not order the pho, which I expect would be less so. However, you can get pho in so many places in Seattle. Why go here? Also, many of the unique dishes of Vietnam are not available: just your basic pho and stir-fries. I was very disappointed.

punkinness
punkinness

super tasty

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2006

they have 2 menus, a vegan and a carnivour. the fake meat on the vegan fare are incredibly tasty, each different 'meat' having it's corresponding flavors and textures. while i never cared for real fish, their mock fish dishes (especially the smoked salmon) are awesome. great variety of dishes, veggies have always been fresh and pretty, the serving sizes are about average or a little better than average.

Pros: fake meats, decent portion size, large veg menu
Cons: location, it's not fully vegan, temp-bring a coat

Dear Owner and Manager of Moonlight Cafe: