Moon and River Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Coffeehouse with a menu of mostly vegetarian food including tempeh and tofu dishes, sandwiches, and salads. Events on most nights. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Coffee House, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by luv2fly5em
alaskadebbi
alaskadebbi

Thanks Richie

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

What a great breakfast! We found this place during our 3000 mile road trip, with the help of HC. We were the only ones in the place and Richie was so friendly and helpful. We had a tofu scramble and french toast. We have only been vegan for 5 weeks and we loved the treats we found here...vegan cookies and brownies. We asked Richie if he could fix us "Chicken salad" for us to go. It wasn't on the menu but he fixed us an absolutely amazing lunch. When I got home I even called him for the recepie! We had 2 breakfasts, coffee, smoothie, cookies, brownies, chicken salad all for only $35.00!!! Thanks Richie

Pros: Creative owner, art and books abound
beingpeggy
beingpeggy

great little cafe

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

My husband and I enjoy eating at the Moon and River, we ate here when we both still ate cheese/eggs, and we still enjoy it now that we are fully vegan. We only go here if we are ready for a slow-paced leisurely meal, as like other reviewers have mentioned, it can take a little while to get your food. Lots of yummy sandwich options (I love the tofu, vegenaise, avocado sandwich) and good breakfast options too, try the "vegan breakfast."
Richard is very friendly, and the atmosphere is cool. We enjoy the nightly music and the neighbor-feel of the place.
The portion are reasonable, some people might say "small" but in reality they are the right amount of food you should eat at a meal, not like the mountain of food most restaurants serve these days.

Pros: huge variety on menu, tasty food, cool music
Cons: no credit cards, not "fast service"
lostgirl12
lostgirl12

disappointing

2 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

Their menu is overwhelmingly filled with delicious vegan meals but unfortunately despite my numerous options I found the experience very disappointing. The atmosphere while cool and funky , it is also extremely awkward when you are the only customer there. It literally is like being in a stranger's kitchen which is nice for someone who enjoys that but very uncomfortable and awkward for someone who doesn't. The food was indeed delicious but portions are small and prices are steep. Since food is made to order by only one person the wait can be awhile. And by awhile I mean it can take almost an hour. The owner is nice and friendly and the food is good but unfortunately that wasn't enough to keep me going back.

Pros: good food , nice staff
Cons: long wait, expensive , small portions
AnnaT
AnnaT

So Delicious!

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2012

Went with my mom and boyfriend (who are both not vegan or vegetarian) on a Sunday afternoon. I ordered the Vegan Reuben (since going vegan the one thing I have not managed to stave off cravings for is a good Reuben) and it was fantastic! Small portions, and a little pricey, but worth it since the vegan options in this area are almost nothing. Atmosphere is hippy/artsy but really cozy, fun, and quiet (when there isn't a band playing). Owner is soft spoken but really nice. They also have lots of vegan and gluten-free desserts and treats!

Pros: quiet, food, menu options
Cons: prices
stevensass
stevensass

Great

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2010

Cool cafe in Schenectady's nicest neighborhood. Most amount of vegan options in the capital district. Food is good, but portions small. The owner always seems to be there and is great for conversation. byob. Free entertainment every night. Good vibe.

Pros: Many vegan options, Good people, Free shows at 8
Cons: Small poritons
Renee
Renee

Neat little place

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2010

I love this cafe. The food is excellent, and reasonably priced. Very friendly, artsy atmosphere. I love that there is live music every night, and such a full calender. I was just passing through town, so I unfortunately did not get to stay for anything...but had a great meal. Try the Moroccan eggs, they are awesome! I would give these guys a 5star, if happy cow would let me!

Pros: the food, friendly staff, live music
luv2fly5em
luv2fly5em

Yummy!

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

Ordered the tofu/avocado sandwich with veganaise. It was very good. We went at dinner and they had several locals that were standing up to sing and play guitar, which was enjoyable to watch. Music was not too loud.

Pros: Food, Selection, Atmosphere
Cons: Some very strange characters inside.

Dear Owner and Manager of Moon and River Cafe: