Was here in June 2010 for lunch and am pleased to share my review of Mooi on happycow.net. This raw food cafe had just opened a few weeks ago, so I guess I'm among the first diners.
It's colorful inside with different styles of vintage furniture for tables, chairs, lamps, and chandeliers. There is a juice bar to one side of the restaurant, tables in the middle, and large glass windows to the other side. Bright natural sunlight comes through during the daytime. The vibe is relaxed and casual.
Lunch and dinner menus are different, both printed and pasted inside pages of Dr. Seuss children's books. You will find some of the lunch salads and soups also available at dinner. The dinner menu features main dishes only available in the evening (raw enchiladas, stir fry, and several others). My friend and I got to try the lunch stuff.
We shared the:
- the bengal curry salad, which was very refreshing and sweetened by little chunks of apples (combined with chunks of cucumber)
- open face avocado sandwich w/ garlic aoli, which was light and tasty
- open face cucumber sandwich w/ cashew hummus, which was very light though a bit mild in flavor
- pizza special w/ toppings like red pepper tomato paste, a walnut based "meat," raw macadamia nut based cheese, and olive slices
- 3 flavors of their in-house raw ice cream (panaji pistachio with saffron, aztec chili cinnamon coffee, and orange peppermint fudge), all of which were very creamy and sweet
What stood out to me was the pizza and the ice cream. The pizza bread is slightly doughy and chewy (made from flax, rosemary, and spices) and the toppings were very original and creative and unlike the raw pizzas other LA raw restaurants offer. The ice cream was quite incredible in that they tasted creamy and really rich, unlike other raw ice cream I've had before.
The chef, Stephen, has previously run his own raw food catering company and is very experienced in making raw cuisine. I was very impressed with the originality, creativity, and the subtlety of the flavors. Nothing shouts out at you, but everything gently lets you know that you are experiencing something unique and delicious.