Monty's Blue Plate Diner

Serves meat, veg options available. About half of the menu is vegetarian, including mockchicken, black bean dishes, veganrib sandwich, tofu scramble, vegan pies, etc. Veganaise available on sandwiches upon request. Braille menu available for customers with vision impairments. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by rccourtney
jenluvsveggies
jenluvsveggies

Yummy comfort food

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

My family and I love this place! IT can be very busy if you try to go there around noon on a Saturday but they are very efficient in getting you seated. Food never takes long and is always great. I love the Heathan vegan! Breakfeast all day. Freindly staff always!

Pros: inexpensive, great staff, fast
Cons: can be busy at certain times
hippie2783
hippie2783

great everything

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

you cant go wrong here.... everything is wonderful! from the food to the service...love love love

Pros: food selection, friendly
starlyse
starlyse

vegan comfort food to die for

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

Great comfort food for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores. I'm not a huge fan of the hash, but many disagree with me. A madison classic. You really can't go wrong here. The coffee is amazing.

Pros: breakfast all day
Cons: limited vegan GF dishes

Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

great omni place

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

I stopped here on a business trip. I thought it was good! They have a decent variety to choose from and the staff was really nice.

Pros: price, nice staff, good food
knit-picky-vegan
knit-picky-vegan

Monty's Blue Plate Wonderfulness...

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

If you seek comfort in your excursions into cuisine not made in your own kitchen, then Monty's is the place to be! They even have delicious selections for me, a very active Vegan. Whatever you choose from their extensive and interesting menu, you will not be disappointed. From toast to desserts, their world is your place of complete contentment - you win every time!

Pros: Great, diverse comfort food menu, Savvy Staff, Cool surroundings
Regwag2003
Regwag2003

Excellent Place for Vegan Breakfast

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

They have a fairly big selection of vegan options for breakfast, and their fruit pies are also usually vegan. Separate vegan menu. Classic diner style, with good, friendly service.

CapinCrust
CapinCrust

Nice, but crowded

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

The tofu scrambler was good, apparently so was the sweet potato hash. They also have vegan french toast I can't wait to try.

Pros: Vegan menu is awesome, Friendly staff, Martinis at 10AM
Cons: Crowded, Kids, Burgers :'(
jscv
jscv

Nice dinner

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

I was in Madison recently on a business trip and found Monty's Blue Plate Diner by browsing around on HappyCow. For dinner on a Monday night I had a glass of New Glarus Brewing Co. Spotted Cow beer (on tap), the Heathen Vegan sandwich with fries, and a slice of the New York Cheesecake. Everything was excellent. The waiter offered a tip that the Heathen Vegan sandwich can be a bit more manageable to eat if it's ordered as a wrap instead of in the default French baguette; I should have taken his advice. The sandwich was excellent, but they are generous with the fillings and it kept spilling out of the bread. Oh well, that's what forks are for. :) I'd definitely eat here again! The only downside is that the parking lot attached to the restaurant is a bit on the small side (to be expected, given it's location in Madison). I got lucky and found a spot in the lot, but be prepared to hunt for on-street parking nearby if you come at a busier time.

Pros: Large vegetarian selection, Local beers on tap, Friendly waitstaff
Cons: Limited parking
Adrienne Norton
Adrienne Norton

Everyone's Happy

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2011

My husband (vegetarian), 5 and 7 year olds (not veg*), and I (vegan) all enjoy this place. They have a vegan menu and a gluten free menu, must request. They serve breakfast all day. They may not have any vegan desserts. It's an unusual and fun mix of food: diner food alongside tofu, tempeh, gluten free bread, vegetables, fruit, etc

Pros: variety, tasty food, friendly service
Cons: not whole food plant based
MadisonVegan
MadisonVegan

good, but menu could be better

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

Monty's Blue Plate is great for omnivores, vegetarians and vegans, so it's a great choice when dining with a mixed group.

The only iffy experience I had there was the time I ordered a breakfast dish that was otherwise vegan (can't remember which one - sorry to any staff reading this) and it came with some kind of breakfast/dinner biscuit which really seemed like it was not vegan (it really seemed like it had buttermilk and/or butter). The menu seemed to be pretty easy for vegetarians to navigate, but I think the labeling could be made easier for their vegan customers. Signs and logos that clearly, visually announce the vegan/vegetarian status of any dish is always appreciated. Many vegans are also anti-confrontational types, so the last thing they'd want to do is pepper the waitstaff with questions about milk, butter and eggs. Something to consider the next time they redo the menu. Any veg-friendly place can draw a vegan in once or even twice, but it's ease and lack of hassle that that will keep a vegan coming back and telling their friends.

It can get pretty packed on weekends, which can be fun, but if you're not looking for that kind of experience, I'd say go during the week or at a typically non-busy time.

And the vegan heathen sandwich is simply awesome.

Pros: good food, lots of vegan options, good atmosphere
Cons: menu not always clear about vegan status, often too busy
KenC
KenC

A Favorite

4 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2009

My wife and I live part-time in Madison (also our home town) and probably eat at Monty's more than any other restaurant. My wife is not vegan, so we take full advantage of the wide variety of options. People watching is also fun.

Pros: Many good vegan options, Something for everyone
Cons: Too busy sometimes
KerraD
KerraD

YUMMY!

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2009

The atmosphere was great, the staff was friendly and very good, knowledgeable and on-top of things.

The only words that come to mind regarding the food is "YUMMY!" The boyfriend and I both had different veg meals and loved them both! (We usually split our meals so we each eat 1/2 of the others to get more variety.) Heathen Vegan Shoplifter's Delight is my favorite ... although the sloppy faux is pretty darn good too!

The price was extremely reasonable for the quality and portion size.

We found Monty's through HappyCow and will go back any time we are in town!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere
tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

score!

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2009

super awesome easy to know if vegan or veggie menu! hip AND friendly staff (both usually dont go hand in hand). lots and lots to choose from, everything is good. i visited on a weekday morning and there was a short wait, so this is the dinner to go to for those memorable and fun sunday breakfasts! this place is a must!

Pros: menu, variety, staff
rccourtney
rccourtney

recently expanded vegetarian menu

3 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2008

This place has more veg options than they did last year. Currently, the vegan heathen sandwhich is a favorite. They also have a vege hash plate, seitan pork sandwich etc. For dessert, there is soy ice cream and any of the pies without crumb topping are vegan. Pies with crumb topping are made with lard.

Pros: more veg options lately, great atmosphere
Cons: crumb topping crust made with lard
  • jen_g jen_g

Thanks for the review! Just a correction: the crumb topped pies are not made with lard, absolutely nothing is made with lard. The crumble top is made with butter so it's trans-fat free, but does contain dairy. No lard, however,in anything we serve! Thanks!

• rccourtney rccourtney

Well, I have had at least 5 waiters tell me that the crumb topping is made with lard. It would be good to inform your waiters of this so they can accurately let the customers know what the crust is made with.

Dear Owner and Manager of Monty's Blue Plate Diner: