CLOSED: Monticello

Serves meat, veg options available. Small, upscale restaurant. Menu changes weekly and is based on locally grown in-season produce. Has a few ovo-lacto veg choices. April 2013 reported no vegan/limited vegan food. 2015 REPORTED SHUT, CONFIRMED BY ITS WEBPAGE. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by mutant_pie
True North
True North

Bad Attitude

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2015

Walked in to look at menu, hoping to return for dinner. As a salt/oil/sugar free vegan, I am not surprised when a restaurant doesn't have anything that I can eat, other than a plain green salad with no dressing. Nonetheless, I politely inquire in restaurants like this one, in hopes that I could discover a new place to eat out. The hostess informed me that there was no way to cook vegetables without salt or oil, other than steaming them, so suggested that there was nothing they could offer me. Since I cook dishes all the time without salt/oil/sugar and since the more talented of chefs can do MUCH better than I can, I decided that this wasn't a place that had much to offer people who weren't interested in Monticellos offerings, sans modifications. I see from reading other reviews that my experience at this restaurant is not unique. Note, I did not end up eating at this restaurant so cannot speak to how their menu actually tastes.

Cons: Bad Attitude, Not open to modifications
rockcita
rockcita

Not a vegan or even vegan friendly place.

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2014

I don't know why this place is on Happy Cow. I've went there three times for either lunch or dinner, and walked out all three times. When I told them I was vegan, they looked at me strangely and said "we can make you a salad or a veggie sandwich". Denny's can do that much and I certainly wouldn't consider them vegan, vegetarian, or even veggie friendly. Besides, a salad or veggie sandwich at Denny's would be a heck of a lot cheaper than at Monticello.

Cons: not vegan, not vegetarian, not veggie friendly
mutant_pie
mutant_pie

Gourmet Quality, Upscale Ambience

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2011

While this is not a vegetarian restaurant, they do offer at least one vegan entrée, several vegetarian ones, and a vegan side. The meals I've had here are excellent in flavor and very good in presentation. And hot food is served hot, cold food cold (one of my peeves when a restaurant gets this wrong). The service is also excellent, and attentive. Tell them you eat a vegan or vegetarian diet, and they will accommodate your needs, and maybe can modify a dish as well. In other words, they care about your experience. Now having said all that, they do charge a moderate-expensive price. And they earn it.

Unlike the restaurants in the center of downtown Davis, this nearby restaurant is in a strip mall that has lots of parking in its' lot.

Pros: Vegan, veg choices, Gourmet Quality, Upscale ambience
Cons: A tad pricey