Monroe's New Mexican

Serves meat, veg options available. Full vegetarian menu including calavacita fajitas, Puerto Rican bean enchiladas, and calavacitas tacos. Some menu items are either vegan or can be made vegan. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg
6051 Osuna Rd NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87109
505-881-4224

Open Mon-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-9pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Uneekr4
deedeelightful
deedeelightful

Misguided

1 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

Warning: Not all items on the Veggie Alternatives Menu are vegetarian!
I ordered the #6 Veggie Tostadas (Gluten free) for $11.50. The description lists 2 bluecorn tostada shells stuffed with avocado, whole beans, pico de gallo, mozzarella, lettuce and tomato. Served with calavacitas and salsa.
As I have never heard of calavacitas, I asked the server to explain. He said it is a Mexican side dish made with grilled zucchini and squash -- he failed to mention, however, that it is prepared on the same grill used for their meat dishes. I only learned this after discovering a piece of chopped beef mixed in with the calavacita on my Veggie Tostadas plate. While I was not charged for the plate, the server did not seem to understand my concern with cross-contamination in the kitchen. Clearly, this establishment's idea of veggie alternatives is misguided.
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 27, 2014

Cons: menu misleading
KatieBell403
KatieBell403

Messed up order twice

1 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

I am vegan so I ordered something vegetarian with no cheese. The first time I ate one bite, saw cheese and sent it back. The second time, feeling safe, I ate half of it before I realized there was cheese in it again. I hate sending back food so I just ate everything else on my plate. I wanted to like this place but since they can't make food without cheese I will never go back there again!

Cons: service, not vegan friendly
Uneekr4
Uneekr4

Wonderful experience

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

The restaurant has a veggie menu offering tacos, fajitas, tostadas, enchiladas, veggie rellano and a veggie burger. The vegetables weren't just the normal peppers and onions but included squash and other veggies. The staff was courteous and accommodating. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you're in the Albuquerque area!

Pros: Different vegetarian options, Food, Service
Cons: Margarita was small and weak

Dear Owner and Manager of Monroe's New Mexican: