A vegan restaurant and bar, a record shop, a performance space, a specialist grocery shop, and a lending library. Restaurant is spacious and serves vegan food. Blackboard usually shows list of about 4 vegan main dishes, 4 starters, plus 2 soups. Also sandwiches for order at the bar. All beer, wines and spirits vegan, many organic. Breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner menu served all day. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Take-out
12 Kings Court, 103 King Street (Argyll Street, in city centre)
Glasgow, Scotland G1 5RB
0141-553-2400

Open Mon-Sun 12pm-12am, til 1am weekends.

First Review by kathyv181
Gill Kittea
Gill Kittea

My second home.

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2014

I have been coming to Mono for many years now. The only bad experience I have ever had here is that it's been so busy we had to be turned away. Excellent food, with a new range of pizzas which are delicious. Great range of drinks too, with Whole Earth sodas and Bon Soy milk for the coffees, which also use Dear Green beans - a local roasting company. Always a great atmosphere, whether it's a quiet lunch or celebratory dinner with friends. The record and print shops are wonderful bonus too. My favourite cafe bar in my home town.

Pros: good atmosphere, excellent food, great record shop
Cons: could maybe do brunch menu
convertedcow
convertedcow

Food ok, nice place to relax

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

We've been to Mono several times since it opened. It still serves a good range of drinks and supports microbreweries. The music shop is great and the art space is fairly interesting.

Service, however, is slow and the toilets have seen much, much better days. The food standards can be variable. There are some dishes they do quite well and some pretty badly. Still, we return for nostalgic reasons as we have been going there since our student days more than 10 years ago.

Pros: Good space for creative vegans
Cons: Toilets need refurbishing, Table service could improve
JaayP420
JaayP420

Chill atmosphere with good food

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

Ate here today and had the Chickpea, fried potato and sundried tomato salad at a very reasonable price. Will be eating here again soon.

Kimb
Kimb

Good tasty food? NOT AT MONO !

2 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

Today we ate lunch at Mono. Very disappointed. There are good Vegan cafes in Glasgow and this isn't one of them. We should have left as soon as we had 'the feeling' that this isn't going to be good soon after sitting down. OMG the warm squash salad smelt really bad, and food should at least smell good to be able to enjoy it. 'Burnt Slop' would be an honest description. We also had the mushroom burger, totally tasteless. Don't expect good quality food here. Cant help but wonder about the level of cleanliness of the kitchen. Honestly Chef do you eat your own cooking? Where's the enjoyment of eating good tasty Vego food? Its not at Mono.

Pros: Record Shop, Printing Press, Too Cool for School
Cons: Dirty, Tasteless, Dissappointing
JonJon
JonJon

Terrific vegan place!

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2013

One of my favorite vegan places in the world. The food is really good with plenty of different flavours. Their desserts are particularly excellent and the staff is friendly. Moreover, the place has a vinyl shop inside and welcomes regularly some music groups and events. I like this concept of vegan food and good music so much! Highly recommended.

Pros: great vegan food including desserts, nice place for food and music, friendly staff

janetp
janetp

What a cool space!

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

Mono was a great stop in Glasgow and the all vegan menu was amazing. I had the breakfast burrito special with a salad and then the food was so good I couldn't resist ordering dessert -- a gigantic and delicious slice of cheesecake with caramel sauce. I was only in Glasgow for a day but I'm so glad I was able to enjoy a meal here.

Pros: Dessert, Cool space, All vegan menu
LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Possibly the best vegan food I've had

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

This place was wonderful. Excellent, tasty and spicy vegan food, live music, a bar with an excellent beer selection and a 'zine library (although it appeared to be closed during our visit). My partner, an omnivore and beer snob, was even more enthused than I was, because finally we found a place where all the essential elements for a good evening - tasty vegan food, beer, live music - were brought together. Usually one of us suffers (i.e. I eat just chips, or he drinks crappy beer). I had the pea and mint soup and falafel sandwich and my partner had the Malaysian dish. They were *amazing*. We're going to try to recreate the Malaysian dish. My partner rates this the best vegan food he's had (after Aux Vivres in Montreal). The service was a bit slow, and one of the barmen was slightly unpleasant, but otherwise nothing else to complain about.

Pros: amazing food, good prices, live music
Cons: service could be improved
alimac
alimac

Huge!

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

So enjoyed Mono, had a Nasi-Goreng meal, it was steamed and stir fried vegetables cooked to perfection with peanuts and chilli. Spicy enough to be yummy but not too spicy to share with friends! The portions here are huge. Great value home cooked food. They also do micro-brewed lemonade and ginger beer (non alcoholic) at a tasty and great price.

Pros: Home cooked food, Huge portions, Home made lemonade (botanic brew)
Cons: can be busy, drinks can be expensive
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

My favourite Glasgow restaurant!

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2013

I love coming here to eat and every time I've been here I've had a fantastic meal. The atmosphere and decor are great, although occasionally service has been a little slow. The food range and quality is great and it makes me so happy that everything is vegan.

Pros: Wonderful food, All vegan, Nice atmosphere
craigmc
craigmc

chilled

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

i have been to mono before but it was some time ago, and it was so bad i didn't review.
I'm so glad i went back as i had a great lunch here. the joy of being able to have some fried food(as there is still a great use of lard in scotland) is always good. I had a mushroom burger with hand cut chips and williams bros beer battered onion rings, it wasn't oily and was tasty. bar staff were really good and have a great selection on drinks. plenty of good tunes from the record shop as well, the lunch was £7.50 so decent value.

Pros: relaxed, tasty
Tigra220
Tigra220

Good vegan food

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

I visited Mono on 02July12, on my first day in Glasgow. I hailed a cab here and the area seemed a bit deserted but I felt safe nonetheless. I ordered the veggie burger with cajun chips, as well as the smoked tofu sandwich. I personally, didn't care for the tofu sandwich. Then again, I'm not a tofu fan, but sometimes, if it's cooked in a certain way, I like it... Not this one. However, I loved my veggie burger and fries/chips. There were very tasty. I'm a huge potato fan, and the chips were just delightful. Service was quick and the staff was extremely helpful. She even called a cab for me. Definitely take the time to find this place if you're in Glasgow.

Pros: tasty 100% vegan food, helpful staff, inexpensive
cms1000
cms1000

Amazing place!

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

This is an amazing place. The choice of food is great. The cake is amazing. They also have micro brewed soft drinks from the local Williams Bros Brewery - gorgeous. There is also a great record shop and a brilliant 'zine shop, too. This place is fantastic.

mikebinos
mikebinos

best chips!

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

I only got 2 things at Mono, a ginger beer and the cajun-spiced chips, but these were the best chips I may have ever eaten! Covered in paprika, cumin, coriander, and pepper. The microbrew ginger beer (non-alcoholic) was also delicious. Didn't get any meal there but would have liked to.

Slinki_Malinki
Slinki_Malinki

Great for food, for help however...

3 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2012

Went there with friends and had a very tasty chickpea and kale stew with some lovely bread, with a glass of very nice red wine. Whilst the establishment is itself vegan it isn't overtly in your face with it when you walk in so it's very nice to go to with omni friends as it's a bit relaxed. The food was great and well priced, and the wine was also lovely. However I did go back in the next day to ask about my jacket as I'd lost it the previous night, and the man at the bar stood in front of me and ignored me for at least 5 minutes despite nobody else being there which definitely has tainted my view of it a bit.

Pros: Tasty!, Affordable, Location
Cons: Staff
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

Excellent food

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

Fallen-down sign letters above door, so it reads "Mo", very unwelcoming appearance outside, looked closed, but I went closer and noticed the door slightly ajar.
All-vegan menu. Starters and sides (3.95) sound delicious: Thai potato cakes with spicy slaw; cauliflower fritters w/ lime yogurt, butterbean and rosemary crostini, etc. Sandwiches, 4.95 (e.g., smoked tofu, pesto mayo, tomato and spinach on toasted bread; bean burrito. Soup & sandwich, 5.50. Mains, 7.50: Risotto with asparagus, peas and lemon; Nasi Goreng (apparently very spicy); Portobello mushroom burger with onion rings, salad, hand-cut chips; roast butternut squash & spinach lasagna. Three desserts (2.95, 3.95): chocolate, orange & cashew brownie with ice cream; cheesecake with caramel & pecans or tequila & lime; ice cream sundae. I had lasagna with greens salad and garlic toast: lentils, squash, chunky tomato sauce, spinach, onion. Second visit I had soup & sandwich: parsnip-carrot-dill soup and smoked tofu sandwich - both very tasty; cheesecake with salted caramel & pecans - creamy and delicious.
Only one local draft: Williams Bros. lager. Also on draft: ginger beer and raspberry and rose lemonade (though not available on my second visit). Some local bottled beers. Board games, band stage beside six beer vats. Cold, drafty. CD & record store to one side.

Pros: delicious food, good menu, spacious
Cons: chilly interior, unwelcoming look from outside
NickNack1989
NickNack1989

A Mono-ster of a place

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2011

Excuse the title. But I do love Mono and is definitely one of my favourite places to eat. Great vibe, the record shop included is a great touch, the decoration is fitting. The clientele are very pleasant as well. The food: well I could wax-lyrical for hours about the food in this place. It really is extremely good. Their deserts are to die for, I especially enjoy their beech-smoked tofu sarnie: extremely delicious. The only downside sometimes is the service, but the food and the atmosphere makes up for that. If you have time to kill I would suggest it, but if you're in a rush. Best not to come here, I certainly take everything very slowly when I'm eating at Mono- it seems to fit the place. But very highly recommended. I even took a non-vegan here and they loved it!

Pros: Delicious Deserts, Good Value, Good Sized Portions
Cons: Slow Staff
Jaine
Jaine

a joy to return to.

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

We "popped in" to Glasgow on our drive from Edinburgh back to England, just to go back to mono.
Edinburgh vegan food had been pretty disappointing, and it was great to have a good meal back at mono. I had a really tasty cauliflower fritter starter, with fresh lemon yoghurt. My partner had home made gyoza, which were great(even most Chinese places don't make their own!).
For mains, my partner had a sizeable lasagne, and I had a huge plate of hand cut chips, tasty mushroom burger (toasted bun, salad,guacamole and bbq sauce)and the best onion rings you'll find anywhere.
Dessert was a fantastic and light choc taut,which was perfect. I had a small piece of orange choc brownie with whole hazelnuts, and vanilla ice cream. It was great; only complaint was it wasn't quite chocolatey enough.
Service was, and often is a wee but dour, but quick and efficient.
Love, love, love mono.

Pros: Great food., fantastic atmosphere., Really good value.
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

super!

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

at mono, i had a ceasar salad which was so yummy. i also had veggie sausages which were pretty good too. the dressing on the salad was so good. it was huge and i finished it all. nice relaxing outdoor eating in front.

lastx
lastx

Great!

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

It's a refreshing change to be able to go somewhere and have my pick of the whole menu. The food is decent and it has a good atmosphere, even on a Sunday evening which is when we visited. The Chocolate tart is to die for. Service was excellent also.

Pros: Good food, Good service
Cons: Decor is a little higgledy piggledy
rachell37
rachell37

Decent food, bad menu

3 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

In the interest of full disclosure, Mono is currently recruiting a new head chef, so we possibly caught them at a bad time. We were also informed, upon looking at the menu, that what they list online is completely different from what is currently on offer.
My husband ordered the Indian spiced potatoes as a starter - they were quite dry and a bit bland. His bean burger was pretty mushy and had a strong taste of red pepper.
My Caesar salad was actually not that at all - the dressing wasn't Caesar, there wasn't a shred of Romaine lettuce, and it contained cucumber and tomato. I also ordered the garlic dahl with pitta - the pitta was the toughest, chewiest pitta I've ever eaten.
Our friend ordered the black bean chili, and it contained no black beans!
However, the desserts were delicious, and the service was a lot better than the last few times I've been. If you're dining in Glasgow, give Mono a few weeks to replace their chef and go to Stereo or The 78 (Mono's sister restaurants) instead.

Pros: good dessert, friendly staff
Cons: poor menu descriptions
Guest
Guest

Mono

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2009

This is the coolest vegetarian restaurant in Scotland - they have delicious vegetarian ans vegan food (veggie burgers and chips are best!)The drinks are great too - wide range of unusual alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Decent prices, good value. Kinda hard to find though and waiters are a bit strange...

Pros: Great food, Good for vegetarians and meat eaters, Good music
Cons: Wierd staff, Sometimes slow service, Dodgy characters outside door
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

oily fat mess but you can probably do better

3 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2009

We had a bad go of Mono. We were a little off our healthy ordering game because we were escaping a heavy rain storm and ended up with 3 oil covered dishes. They pour white fat sauce on the chili, the burger is fried and the bun was covered in oil on both sides, the blt was a fat bomb as well, there was no escape, we ate two bits of pita with some chili from the bottom of the bowl. The place was pretty neat, though.

Pros: good venue
Cons: very oily and fatty food
natz
natz

Highly recommended

5 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2009

Went here for lunch on Friday 6 Feb 09 and the food was excellent. The whole menu is vegan. We ordered tapas (3 dishes for £7) and a 'bacon' roll with added mushrooms and onions (and came with side salad). Others in the restaurant ordered larger mains and these looked very substantial. Desserts were excellent - cheesecake with choice of toppings (fruit, maple syrup or choc sauce) and apple and raisin crumble with custard, cream or icecream (Swedish Glaze is on offer, in three flavours which was great as our supermarket only stocks vanilla!). Good service and a great place to hang out for hours. I thought the price was very good, came to about £22 for two courses plus a drink each - about the same as we'd pay for lunch anywhere else but far more choice here! The breakfasts looked good and we also popped back the next day for a drink and sampled their organic, home brewed juices (1% alcohol). Very nice, lots of posters showing what's on there (live jazz every Wednesday, for example). Make sure you visit the toilets too just to read the fab grafitti on all the walls! Wish we lived in Glasgow just to go there each week!

Pros: Tasty food, great atmosphere, great price
Cons: have to work to find it!
hack_man
hack_man

Stay all day and enjoy

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

Have been here a few times, the Glasgow vegan group meet here once a month and they've chosen so well in their venue. The food is superb, I must also comment on the delicious vegan desserts. It was the first place that I'd tried scrambled tofu and I make it at home regularly now.

It's quite possible to stay here all day: have a light brunch, a few cups of tea perhaps, go for a mooch in the record & CD store inside, have an early dinner, then start on the beers and enjoy a late meal at around 10pm. Such a great place. The amazing Moby even played here in July 2008 on his mini acoustic tour of Scotland.

Pros: ambience, food, cd store inside
Cons: prices
aclasse
aclasse

A place to, er, chill

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2008

My partner and I probably doubled the average age of the clientele when we arrived on Saturday night, but no-one seemed to mind. Mono appears to be part of a sort of chain, including The 13th Note (which we'd been to on a previous visit to Glasgow), 78 and Stereo. The raison-d'etre of this one is possibly music and booze rather than food, but the food was actually quite good and it's great that all of it is vegan. They didn't have my first choice of starter or main course but the grilled aubergine (perhaps slightly underdone) and spinach-and-'cheese' parcels were fine, as was the 'cheese'-cake. Service was slightly chaotic but we weren't in a hurry and the people were nice. There was recorded music playing but it wasn't obtrusive.

Pros: Relaxed, Friendly, All food is vegan
Cons: Might be too relaxed for some
kathyv181
kathyv181

Mono - nice and something special

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2007

I was surprised by this place. It is very big, has a bar and a stage(where live music is performed on some days, there is a DJ on the weekends), it has a tiny selection of things like Tofu and other organic treats to buy and there is a record shop included (separated by a little wall). It has an atmosphere of an alternative place. Very relaxed and you'll also find some Sofas to chill out on :) Many young people and different clients than the "normal" everyday crowd. The menu offers a variety of foods including an "All day breakfast", which is the typical Great Britain breakfast in vegan - YES!

Organic Soda is being offered, also Soy latte and Hot chocolate and a variety of bears.

The menu offers 4 different Starters, there are 4 Main Courses and 3 different options for desserts (Apple tart with caramel sauce and cream, cheese cake with optional toppings and 3 scoops of 4 different ice cream flavours) plus, you can check out the blackboard for available cakes.
There are 11 options of Bar foods and Snacks and 4 Options on Take Away Foods.

The food is tasty and the staff is friendly.
I really liked it there - I can recommend it to everyone who is traveling to or through Glasgow!
I'd say the price is rather normal than cheap. One plate of food for 7,50 pounds and 3 pounds for one piece of cheese cake is ok, but not cheap.

Pros: ALL vegan + No smoking :), Many things are organic, Relaxed place + friendly
Cons: Need more space for PRO

Dear Owner and Manager of Mono: