Previously at farmers markets and opened this retail location fall 2013. Offers vegan comfort foods and desserts. Sunday is brunch menu (only). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Bakery, Take-out

mmamantea
  • non-vegetarian

so good

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2015

I had the nachos and a cinnamon roll and my daughter had a custard filled donut. Everything was so fresh and amazing. Most take home cinnamon rolls when heated up tend to become a little dry but not this cinnamon roll. It taste fresh baked. The nachos were out of this world and I will be returning many times.

Pros: reasonable price
Cons: cash only
Tigra220
Tigra220

AMAZING VEGAN FOOD!

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2015

I ordered the full brunch menu, and either I was truly starving or it was the BEST brunch I have ever had. The full brunch included a vegan tofu scramble with steamed veggies like broccoli and zucchini, roasted potatoes, biscuits and gravy, maple-flavored bacon, vegan-buttery pancakes and fresh fruit.

VEGAN SCRAMBLE:
Some tofu scramble leaves a certain after taste, but not theirs. Fresh scramble and veggies con mucho sabor.

ROASTED POTATOES:
Deliciously flavored papas with peppers and onions. They tasted even better mixed in with the scramble. Very yummy!

BISCUITS & GRAVY:
Fresh southern-style biscuits with thick gravy. So good!

PANCAKES:
2 big, soft and golden brown pancakes, which came with vegan butter and syrup. Better than any IHOP or Denny's. They were like fluffy clouds of happiness in my mouth.

All of this amazing food for only $12.95. What a steal! It also came with your choice of coffee or tea, which I declined. I had called in my order so it was ready when I arrived. And I was super grateful that the employee informed me ahead of time that they were cash only, so I stopped and picked up some cash before heading in.
There was street parking, but luckily I found a spot right outside of their front door.

SALTED CARAMEL CUPCAKE:
While checking out, I noticed a huge cupcake staring at me from their dessert case. When she said, "caramel," I knew it was coming with me. From the moist cake, to the to-die-for caramel icing and caramel sauce... It was definitely one of those "I can't believe it's vegan" moments.

As I was paying, I also noticed that they had an amazing special for the day: Pineapple Upside Down French Toast. I asked if it would be available the following day, but to my dismay, they're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'll just have to make sure that my next San Diego visit spans across several of their operating days, because I can not wait to have more of this yumminess in my belly!

Pros: delicious all vegan menu, friendly staff, great prices
Cons: parking
kaseycarolyn
kaseycarolyn

Great!

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2014

Friendly staff, perfectly sized menu, and the most delicious cinnamon rolls.

stacypatel
stacypatel

Nice and vegan

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2014

I took a friend here for her birthday. We enjoyed our meal, we found the food a bit bland and expensive. Great ideas, nice staff, smallish menu. Glad to have a vegan restaurant in this part of town, but hope they focus more on healthy options and more seasoning.

Pros: clean restaurant, friendly staff, flavored water delicious
Cons: smallish menu, food a bit bland
Ryan MTB
Ryan MTB

Excellent Vegan Food

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

I ate here a couple of weeks ago and highly recommend it. I had the Chickn & Dumplings (chewy yummy dumplings) and hot chocolate (double yum!). I went back on Sunday for the Brunch with hibiscus tea- pancakes were nice and fluffy, and the entire meal was excellent. The employees and chef (owner?) are all very nice. I highly recommend Moncai Vegan.

Pros: Yummy food, Friendly staff, Hot Chocolate!
Silent8176
Silent8176

Sunday Brunch

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

Came here for Father's Day and they served tofu scramble, biscuit with mushroom gravy, tempeh bacon, pancakes, fruits and veggies! It was delicious! Will definitely be going back! I gonna try their donuts!

Vegansailor
Vegansailor

Great food, friendly people.

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

Moncai Vegan is awesome. I had their Sunday brunch deal. They have nice outdoor seating with a heat lamp for those 'cold' San Diego nights. The people are friendly and knowledgable.

Cons: closed on Monday and Tuesday
claya
claya

dessert

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

This place was good till I ordered a sandwich with NO mayo...I get home
Open my box and the sandwich is COVERED with mayo (booo). Not the best customer service. However desserts are delicious and best part is this place has vegan donuts!! Place is very small so if I wanted to go out to dinner with a group of friends this wouldn't be the place for that. No private parking for customers.

mutant_pie
mutant_pie

Very, Very Good Vegan Restaurant/Dessert Bakery

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

Though each days menu is limited, the food is tastey and hearty. Serving sizes were filling. The American Style comfort food is flavorful, with several contrasting flavors and textures with each meal. I had the "chicken" and dumplings and my companion had the linguini with vegetables. The plating and some fine touches indicate a level of gourmet training of the chef. We both enjoyed both meals, the appetizer of panko coated and fried zucchini, and I quite liked the house made hibiscus tea/juice drink (quite rich). Took home one of the massive cinnamon rolls. The bread part is fully baked, yet the cinnamon and icing sections remain gooey soft, with almonds adding crunch. This is the best cinnamon roll in San Diego. Not the best vegan one. The best one of any type. (The one's in the OB Co-Op (that sell out within five minutes) just lost their crown). A gluten free chocolate chip cookie was also very good. I'm looking forward to trying the brunch. BTW this is comfort food which is considerably healthier than its' non vegan counterpart, but it's not health food. (BTW I warned the folks at Casa De Luz (a now empty husk) to serve their hot food hot, repeatedly. The operators of Moncai understand that you MUST provide the basic good service standards of a meal.)

Pros: Excellent meals, Hot food is hot, cold food is cold!, Good and interesting dessert choices
Cons: Smallish place, Not cheap, but not expensive either, A limited selection of beverages
Mike Weinberg
Mike Weinberg

Fantastic!

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

I joined the San Diego Vegans meetup group here for dinner Friday night and for brunch Sunday morning. The entrees are visually beautiful and abundant. The desserts are sinfully decadent. The owners and staff are warm and welcoming. Moncai Vegan is a great addition to the rapidly-growing San Diego vegan scene!

Dear Owner and Manager of Moncai Vegan: