Previously at farmers markets and opened this retail location fall 2013. Offers vegan comfort foods and desserts. Sunday is brunch menu (only). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Bakery, Take-out

Ryan MTB
Ryan MTB

Excellent Vegan Food

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

I ate here a couple of weeks ago and highly recommend it. I had the Chickn & Dumplings (chewy yummy dumplings) and hot chocolate (double yum!). I went back on Sunday for the Brunch with hibiscus tea- pancakes were nice and fluffy, and the entire meal was excellent. The employees and chef (owner?) are all very nice. I highly recommend Moncai Vegan.

Pros: Yummy food, Friendly staff, Hot Chocolate!
Silent8176
Silent8176

Sunday Brunch

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

Came here for Father's Day and they served tofu scramble, biscuit with mushroom gravy, tempeh bacon, pancakes, fruits and veggies! It was delicious! Will definitely be going back! I gonna try their donuts!

Vegansailor
Vegansailor

Great food, friendly people.

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

Moncai Vegan is awesome. I had their Sunday brunch deal. They have nice outdoor seating with a heat lamp for those 'cold' San Diego nights. The people are friendly and knowledgable.

Cons: closed on Monday and Tuesday

claya
claya

dessert

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

This place was good till I ordered a sandwich with NO mayo...I get home
Open my box and the sandwich is COVERED with mayo (booo). Not the best customer service. However desserts are delicious and best part is this place has vegan donuts!! Place is very small so if I wanted to go out to dinner with a group of friends this wouldn't be the place for that. No private parking for customers.

mutant_pie
mutant_pie

Very, Very Good Vegan Restaurant/Dessert Bakery

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

Though each days menu is limited, the food is tastey and hearty. Serving sizes were filling. The American Style comfort food is flavorful, with several contrasting flavors and textures with each meal. I had the "chicken" and dumplings and my companion had the linguini with vegetables. The plating and some fine touches indicate a level of gourmet training of the chef. We both enjoyed both meals, the appetizer of panko coated and fried zucchini, and I quite liked the house made hibiscus tea/juice drink (quite rich). Took home one of the massive cinnamon rolls. The bread part is fully baked, yet the cinnamon and icing sections remain gooey soft, with almonds adding crunch. This is the best cinnamon roll in San Diego. Not the best vegan one. The best one of any type. (The one's in the OB Co-Op (that sell out within five minutes) just lost their crown). A gluten free chocolate chip cookie was also very good. I'm looking forward to trying the brunch. BTW this is comfort food which is considerably healthier than its' non vegan counterpart, but it's not health food. (BTW I warned the folks at Casa De Luz (a now empty husk) to serve their hot food hot, repeatedly. The operators of Moncai understand that you MUST provide the basic good service standards of a meal.)

Pros: Excellent meals, Hot food is hot, cold food is cold!, Good and interesting dessert choices
Cons: Smallish place, Not cheap, but not expensive either, A limited selection of beverages
Mike Weinberg
Mike Weinberg

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

I joined the San Diego Vegans meetup group here for dinner Friday night and for brunch Sunday morning. The entrees are visually beautiful and abundant. The desserts are sinfully decadent. The owners and staff are warm and welcoming. Moncai Vegan is a great addition to the rapidly-growing San Diego vegan scene!

Dear Owner and Manager of Moncai Vegan: