Serves meat, veg options available. Bar and restaurant housed in a renovated theater space with high ceiling and different seating areas, operating since Aug 2011. Offers mostly vegetarian food with a range of snack foods plus burgers, pizza, flatbreads, salads, and weekend brunch. Menu is around 30% vegan (80% vegetarian), and there's a separate kitchen and chef for the vegan food. Offers over 70 California craft beers on tap alongside selection of wine and liquor. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
2141 W Sunset Blvd (W of Alvarado, in Echo Park area)
Los Angeles, California 90026
213-483-2337

Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-2am, Fri 12pm-2am, Sat 9:30am-2am, Sun 9:30am-12am.

First Review by Sonja and Dirk
brandalock
brandalock

A Place To Go With You Meat Eating Friends

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

I've been to Mohawk's twice, once with my vegan husband, and another time with my carnivorous parents. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

GREAT ambiance, and I am always on the look out for a vegan restaurant that is NOT a cafe, which is pretty hard to come by in LA.

I also have had wonderful and very jovial service both times I went.

I am obsessed with their cauliflower buffalo wings and the bahn mi was pretty amazing. On top of the nice selection of vegan options and pizzas, the best part is the beer.

Pros: Ambiance, Service, Beer and Food
whatvegetarianseat
whatvegetarianseat

Great selection of beer

2 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2014

This place is good if you want a large selection of beers on tap and some tasty appetizers. The vegan buffalo cauliflower was really yummy! However, the prices are pretty steep for what you are getting. It's also always very crowded and the service has been pretty poor.

Pros: Great selection of beers on tap, Tasty appetizers, Vegan options
Cons: Poor service, Too expensive, Always crowded
Chia
Chia

Great space, Good food

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

Had read about this on HappyCow and finally got around to trying it. Here's my Mohawk Bend review.

Came for lunch with my family. We parked on the street out front, and since it was a weekday, there were plenty of seating inside. I was immediately impressive by the expansive space and the design of the interior - very artistic in a modern way. We chose to sit in the very back area surrounded by plants with tall ceiling dotted by pockets of sky roofs.

The menu clearly states which items are vegan (V) and which are not (NV) and which can be either (V/NV). I thought that was a very good way to label the dishes. Most everything was either vegetarian or vegan.

We ordered to share:
- "Fun Guy" mushroom pizza with vegan cheese: a fantastic and tasty medley of mushroom carmelized with onion over vegan Daiya cheddar cheese. Good size portion.

- Kid's "Marley meal" vegan: again Daiya cheddar cheese pizza with no other toppings, fries, and romaine lettuce salad in a lemon dressing. I didn't realize that pizza was the main component of this dish when I ordered it for my daughter. It was tasty, anyway, but my daughter did not eat her salad because it was too lemon-y, which I agreed. The salad tasted more like something adults would like and not children.

- Mediterranean veggie burger: a thick house-made falafel patty, a slice of tomato, and a white sauce (tahini?) nestled between buns. It was very tasty though more sauce would have made it more moist. The side of cabbage cole slaw that came with the burger was excellent; I could have eaten a big plate of that!

Overall, we had a very pleasant dining experience. Not too crowded on a weekday lunchtime. Seems like a place that could get super busy on weekend evenings.

Pros: great cole slaw, incredible space, good food
Angie Wright
Angie Wright

expensive

1 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

Lovely place and it was recommended by my son. However the food was disappointing. The starters were nice but the main course chosen by three of us was bangers and mash. It was expensive $15 for mash and gravy (lovely) half an onion (odd) no other veg. and two large but very spicy "sausages". In the UK "sausages" always taste similar to standard UK pork sausages. These seemed like the German hot spicy sausages -never actually eaten them-. I thought bangers was a British slang word so expected a mild sausage . None of us could eat them. We shared two vegan sweets (the only choice possible for vegans. There was no vegan icecreme but the sorbet was lovely. I didn't like the Choc. chip cookie as I have tasted better. Over all it was expensive for poor food of small portions and I will not go again when there are cheaper places which provide larger portions and taste much better. They should describe the sausages as spicy or "German/Austrian etc. We had to tip of course on top of the high cost.. Other places do not expect tips

Pros: Friendly waitress., lovely unusual ambiance,
Cons: portions , expensive

calivegan46
calivegan46

Decent food

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I went to Mohawk Bend for lunch the other day and I thought it was average. The inside was funky since it used to be a theater. There weren't too many vegan options, but I do appreciate the fact that the vegan food is prepared in a different section of the kitchen. I ordered one of the pizzas and I thought it had too much daiya cheese, a bit gagging to me, but thats just my opinion. They had a big bar but I couldn't drink since I'm not of legal age. Also, on Monday's they do Meatless Mondays which is pretty cool. If I was in the Echo Park/Silverlake area, I probably would try another restaurant since there are so many in this area.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Can I get a place to sit?

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2012

I'm not sure if Mohawk is still as popular as when it opened, but the place is just packed. It was hard to enjoy drinks at the community seating area with people standing around and getting in the way of the servers. You're better off getting a table, but then you have a harder time mingling. Its a fantastic place, but I doubt I'll ever return.

Pros: popular, beer
Cons: too popular!
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Great new addition to the neighborhood

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2011

We were so excited to finally check out Mohawk Bend last night for the first time. We arrived before 7pm and we already had to get on a waiting list for dinner seating. There is an area right up front which is great for chatting and drinking with friends. The inside bar area is really long with tables, booths and bar stools. We were able to snag a bar booth while we waited and we ordered some drinks from the bar which already had a line going. I got the vanilla bean daiquiri and Dirk got a coffee stout. The daquiri was fabulous! The bar section has a limited menu of snacks, so we got the black eyed pea hummus with flatbread. Dirk's friends joined us then and got some pints too before we were all seated for dinner.

The dinner seating is way in the back with a gigantic fireplace and great atmosphere. The service was attentive and friendly too. Dirk and I shared the Able Farmin' pizza with homemade seitan sausage and the V is for Vegan burger made from quinoa and lentils. Both very tasty, but the best part was the dessert. We got a chocolate chip cookie baked in a cast iron pan topped with chocolate gelato. So good! All the desserts that evening were vegan as was much of the main menu. Anything not vegan is marked with a NV notation (non vegan). We all ordered more pints of beer too and the Old 38 stout which we enjoy at Tony's Darts Away was a hit with everyone at the table. After dinner, we headed back out front to find a place to sit and chat, but it was too busy and crowded to even get a spot anywhere and it seemed the bar area was taking dinner reservations now too, so getting a table seemed very unlikely which prompted us to leave after our beers were done. Overall, Mohawk Bend is a great place and a fantastic addition to the neighborhood, but get there early! I hope they settle in and expand their hours as it would be more enjoyable if less crowded.

Pros: local craft beers, lots of vegan items, great atmosphere
Cons: crowded, not all vegan
  • Roethke Roethke

Last time I was there, there was no dessert menu and the vegan options were scarce. Did they change the menu from when they first opened? I liked it, but there weren't all the dishes mentioned in this review available.

• Sonja and Dirk Sonja and Dirk

Sorry to hear that you were there on an off-night. Their online menu still lists all the items I mentioned (and I've been back again as well). http://mohawk.la/menu/ Perhaps they just ran out that night. I wasn't able to get the s'mores one night due to them running out of the chocolate sauce.

Dear Owner and Manager of Mohawk Bend:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Los Angeles page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/03/03