Mod's Cafe at the Thirsty...

Vegetarian and vegan pub grub. They also have a selection of organic ciders and beers and vegan wine. Classic British pub grub and world food from ciabatta toasties to Jamaican curry and Tex Mex. Previously located at the Seven Oaks. Mod is at the Lass O' Gowrie, Charles Street, Manchester, M1 for meat free Monday until 8pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Beer/Wine, Jamaican, Take-out
50 New Wakefield Street (Oxford Rd)
Manchester, England M1 5NP
0161-236-6071

Open Mon-Fri 12pm-4pm, Sat-Sun 1pm-5pm.

First Review by Kevster
KatherineParrish
KatherineParrish

Great Sunday pick me up!

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

Hi there the text says lass ogowrie, but this has shut - but it's at the thirsty scholar where we went and had great vegan burger and chips there was a good choice of burger, also do big all day brekkie stuff and a chillie and a noodle option. great for beer too - felt like a student again. great friendly staff too.

Pros: can have beer too, friendly staff, good portions
Cons: not good if you don't like pubs
shirlveg
shirlveg

Huge portions, small prices, friendly chef!

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

The chef at this veggie pub is also a DJ and is a totally friendly and cool guy! The portions were huge and the food tasty. Prices were great too. I will definitely return when I am in Manchester again!

BenGallagher
BenGallagher

Pretty cool

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

This place makes delicious bean burgers. The staff are friendly and helpful and it has a very nice atmosphere.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice location, Good food
Cons: Early closing time for kitchen

ChelseaKeene13
ChelseaKeene13

Mods - tasy fast food

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2013

I love Mods, just when you need a burger or toasty, lovely comfort food in great portions with some added humour from the man himself.

Pros: Good Quality, Good Quantity, Good Price
bencamps
bencamps

Gutted - No Chef!

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2013

I was really looking forward to visiting the Thirsty Scholar having read the earlier reviews. It wasn't to be as on my visit (25.01.13) the chef hadn't turned in to work - to be fair the roads were terrible because of snow. Great pub though, I won't be put off by this next time I'm in Manchester (probably about 5 years time) I'll definately go back. 4 cows for the vibe, friendlyness and good selection of beers and ciders....

MandM
MandM

Pub grub for Vegans, what more do you want?!

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

Excellent, just about sums this place up. Food is delicious, plentiful, cheap, funky bar atmosphere - looking forward to our next visit already!

• hulmegirl hulmegirl

Thanks so for your smashing response! Mr Mod is very very committed to providing plentiful and reasonably priced veggie/vegan food to all! Hope to see you again soon!

hack_man
hack_man

Bullseye

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

Super, Smashing Brilliant. Loving the informal, welcoming and cool atmosphere about this place. Primarily a live music and DJ event venue this place serves spot on pub grub every afternoon until about 5pm (burgers, chilli non carne, curries, breakfasts and fry ups). The chef is a top man, proper good Manc crack and knocks up a good feed. Prices are very sweet and there is an excellent range of top ales and European beers to wash it all down with. Don't expect gourmet food but just a great typical UK pub food experience.

Pros: beer, pub grub, banter
Cons: no food late on
Stevie
Stevie

Mod's Cafe, Manchester

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

I rocked into this place yesterday for a bit of brunch. The girl who served me behind the bar was very helpful and when I asked what was vegan vego, I was told everything on the menu could be made vegan friendly with the exception of a couple of dishes. I plumped for the cooked breakfast and the soup of the day to kill of my rabid hunger pangs.

Prices were very reasonable and the vibe of the joint absolutely fine. I'll be eating there again when I am in Manchester.

Update:-

Due to structural engineering on the rail bridge above The Thirsty Scholar is completed sufficiently to allow The Thirsty Scholar to reopen. Mod's cafe has moved back thee from the Seven Oaks pub.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Great value, Central location
Scottish Clare
Scottish Clare

Very disappointing

2 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2012

We visited the Thirsty Scholar on the evening of 13 Feb 2012 for a drink. For a pub whose website highlights the availability of vegetarian/vegan food and drinks it was very disappointing. We asked the girl behind the bar which beers were vegan and she had to go and ask the manager. She came back with a list of lagers that were on tap so we had to ask her to go and find out about the real ales. She went to speak to the manager again - he did come out and tell us that usually they had veggie/vegan real ales but they didn't have their usual brand on at that time. He did go to check the brands they did have and eventually confirmed that one of their real ales was veggie. We had also asked about vegan wine but never got an answer and by the time we'd sorted out the beers we couldn't face asking again. It was a shame as we actually thought it was quite a nice pub but the lack of knowledge shown by the staff was very poor. I don't know if they still do food or not - the website says they serve until 6:30pm but we didn't see any menus out even though we arrived before then.

alimac
alimac

Thirsty and hungry.. vegan bonus!

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

I really enjoyed my visit to this establishment. If only there were more vegan and vegetarian pubs.

Drinks wise there is a good selection of soft drinks and real ales, cider and other alcoholic options.

The staff are really friendly and chatty, the menu is very large for a pub type menu. It is great to look at the menu and have so much choice. Everything can be "veganised" on request, and vegan cheese is available. Delicious whole hearted food, for hungry people.

Pros: good range of soft and alcoholic drinks, vegan options and veganising available, big menu
Cons: can be noisy (expect this, it's a pub!)
samfox
samfox

Excellent Service, just what we were looking for!

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2011

After a trip to nearby Bolton, my family were in need of some good value nourishment. Happy cow mobile came into force and suggested Mod's. Excellent pub, got a pint, ordered 3 burgers and went upstairs. Mod appeared rather promptly with 3 burgers and good helpings of wedges as ordered. Mod even took the time to talk to us and included my 4yr old daughter in conversation, which always deserves thumbs up for! (he's actually a very nice guy) - I look forward to eating there again! Burgers were tasty, simple and filled us up, exactly what we wanted :)

Pros: Good Value, Good Portions, Friendly Service
Kevster
Kevster

Good food, decent atmosphere and friendly service.

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2010

Visited The Thirsty Scholar after a delayed trip over from Leeds, so by the time we arrived we were very hungry. After looking at the menu, which had a good variety of dishes and snacks, it was immediately clear i needed the double breakfast. The guy who was preparing the food was very helpful, most of the dishes are vegan or could be made vegan easily. The double breakfast consisted of hash browns, toast, beans, mushrooms, two rashers, four (!) sausages, tomatoes and chips as well. Very filling and very good value at £6 something. I also had a coffee with the brekky too. Sarah went for the Jalfrezi with rice and naan. This was a good dish, which was, as it said HOT! She washed this down with a pint of Heineken, which was one amongst a good variety of beers available.

There were also a few very nice cupcakes for afters, which could just about be managed. After this we departed for the excellent Marble Arch pub, where we indulged in the excellent vegetarian/organic beers they sell.

There is going to be a new standard menu from September available from the Thirsty Scholar, and events with food are also in the pipeline. The friendly and helpful people will tell you more.

Pros: good food, good service, central location

Dear Owner and Manager of Mod's Cafe at the Thirsty Scholar: