Very relaxed atmosphere with an adopted stray cat that roams around the covered outdoor area. The prix-fixe vegetarian pate lunch is around 1,000 yen. Try the vegan tortilla wrap. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Beer/Wine

evolution
evolution

Vegetarian in Kobe?

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

I ate here twice, and the food is very good, but not great... still, it is miles above the fried food, greasy ramen or tasteless Italian/Mexican/Thai/Chinese which passes for food in Japan. Nice atmosphere, and the coconut tiramisu (cake) is not to be missed.

BrentB
BrentB

Great Find

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2013

Relaxing atmosphere and tasty food. I've gone here twice and really enjoyed it. Menu is limited but quality is very good. Some English spoken and an English menu is provided. A small food shop is included. At this time, the map is not correct. You must cut and paste the address for location. This area is full of cute shops and caf├ęs.

Pros: Good Food , Nice Atmosphere , Trendy Neighborhood
Cons: Limited Menu
Aya
Aya

Excellent!

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

I have been to quite a few vegan/vegetarian places in Japan, so I can say that Modernark has the best atmosphere - very spacious, relaxed, cozy, warm in winter, no plastic tables. I would have loved to stay there longer.
The food was OK.. not too special, but I would definitely go there again.
Highly recommended.
Four cows, because it is not 100% vegan.

Pros: Atmosphere, Spacious, good prices, many options
Cons: It's not 100% vegan.

MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

lovely!

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

I had been visiting friends in Kansai for nearly a week and hadn't eaten much the whole trip; it's so much harder to find veggie food there than in Tokyo. What a lifesaver Modernark was! I went there for lunch and had the gluten tortilla wrap (it was wonderful). For dessert I had the coconut milk tiramisu, which was probably 1 of the best vegan desserts I'd ever had.

Pros: high quality food, nice vibe, convenient location
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Funky little space, food could be better

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2012

We loved the vibe here - the interior aesthetic is the perfect blend of rustic, eclectic, funky and austere.. with subtle psychedelic touches. The staff were all very lifeless and dead pan though, which really put a dampener on it for me... how can you serve healthy food with dead people?

The food selection was pretty poor in terms of menu. Not a whole lot of vegetable on offer - we were filled up mostly with carbohydrates and protein (beans). Flavours were good though and no strange additives I don't think and the drink menu was creative and interesting. The little organic shop there was lovely and a fun browse too.

Overall - 4 cows mainly because it is pretty much the only vege place in town ...but purely on a food menu basis is probably nearer to a 3-3.5.

Pros: nice interior and grocery shop, organic foods, good drink menu
Cons: bored, lifeless staff, very limited food options, not enough veges
natsuki88
natsuki88

Delicious Meals and Lovely Atmosphere

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

I visited Modern Ark Cafe on my trip to Kobe a couple of days ago, and was absolutely delighted with the experience, so much so that I visited twice. It's fairly easy to find, located just off Tor Road near Sannomiya Station, and its rustic external aesthetic certainly gives it away. The cafe is on the ground floor, and located both above and behind it are fantastic second hand goods stores of the same company. The restaurant itself is quite spacious and open, so you don't feel like you're sitting in your neighbour's lap as I've experienced in some smaller locations. The menu isn't overly large, however the options are of such a quality that it's not a big deal. I went with the tortilla wrap (as recommended in other reviews) and the praise was well deserved, what a hearty and delicious meal! I tried the raspberry lassi also and it was pretty good, I'm not a massive lassi fan though. Then for dessert I had the hot soymilk cocoa and the coconut tiramisu. This cake was 100% the best I've had since becoming vegan, and I ordered it both times I ate there, even now I can't stop thinking about it! The second time I went I had the vegetarian dinner set, which is actually vegan. The faux meat was super tasty, the veggie soup hearty and the entire meal overall was very satisfying. The back wall of the restaurant is covered in book shelves with lots of interesting reads (The Missing Piece was a really simple, thoughtful story :) ) I highly recommend any visitors to Kobe to go here, even though it's only listed as vegetarian it's predominantly vegan and a completely satisfying dining experience.

Pros: Wonderful food, Excellent interior design
Cons: Maybe a little expensive
KAGoldberg
KAGoldberg

Great, eclectic vegetarian food

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

I was so happy to find this funky little place. They have a broad menu with interesting items. We had the curry set, the burrito, and the tortilla. Everything was great. I concur with the other reviewer that the Gluten Tortilla Wrap is excellent. It's like a hearty salad wrap with a light sesame dressing, and some gluten for protein. I tried the black soy bean drink, and it was very interesting--kind of like coffee with soymilk. I would absolutely recommend this place.

Please note that the mapped location is 10 minutes away from the actual place. The green triangle on the map shows where city hall is. The restaurant is closer to Kitanagasudori, west of the Sannomiya train station.
lat, lon=34.692386,135.190898

Pros: tasty food, healthy choices, nice variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Modernark: