Serves meat, veg options available. The majority of the dishes have a vegan and/or vegetarian option. Breakfast is served until 1pm on the weekends and lunch from 12-4pm. Try the vegan pancakes. Staff is helpful. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Non-veg
3200 Chicago Ave
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55407
612-886-3882

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Avocado loving vegan
EverydayTastiness
EverydayTastiness

decent cafe

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2014

I finally made it to modern times yesterday. I heard there could be a long wait on the morning weekends, so I went in the afternoon. Staff was friendly and the menu had vegan and veg items clearly labeled. V=vegan, and veg=vegetarian.

I had the vegan veggie bowl. It is brown rice, garlic kale, broccoli, green onions, and shredded cabbage covered in a generous amount of tahini sauce. The veggies were cooked well. The kale could have been cut into smaller pieces. I also enjoyed a soy chai.

I enjoyed my food. I will probably be back if I am in the area. For my money, I prefer Hard Times Cafe.

drees2014
drees2014

Cool Find!

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2014

This place has a cool vibe to it. The staff are really friendly and the food is tasty. The meals typically run about $8 and you get a pretty good sized portion.

Pros: Friendly staff, Lots of vegan options , Clearly marked vegan options
abbyjane95
abbyjane95

Sooo Yummy!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2014

My dad (he eats anything, like not vegan or vegetarian) and I ate here on a trip to the Twin Cities and loved it! I got vegan blueberry pancakes and they were delicious. I don't know what he got, but he really liked it! I'd recommend this place and would definitely go back next time I'm in the area!

Pros: clear labels, food for everybody

cookiem
cookiem

Vegans welcome here and welcome being here!

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

Even though it's not all vegan and uses markings like "c" for carnivore (c should be for COOKIE)…. they also make every effort very kindly and graciously to separately mark V and Veg. V = vegan and Veg = vegetarian. AWESOME. So, even though I'd rather everything be V, your fellow non vegans will feel happy here, and you can kindly encourage them to at least opt for the Veg choices, of which there are many.

The lattes here are delicious - cute little classic coffee cups make me happy, and with almond milk, delicious. Unsweetened almond milk, yes please, delightful, rich, bold, wake-me up awesomeness.

The food is so good - it's the classic breakfast/ brunch Americana style with a little bit of California/ Southwestern flair with some of their choices. You cannot go wrong. They have pancakes, oatmeal, tofu scrambles, migas, polenta, beans, veggies, seitan, Veganaise, and other random sides like beets.

Although I would've wanted more veggies and dessert, the pancakes are dessert in and of themselves if you order and eat it/ them after a savory dish.

I wasn't expecting this place to be that good. As you walk to the venue, it is painted bright green and has just a couple tables outside. There is a bar area, and then there are about 1 ½ dozen tables, or so it seems by rough estimate. It's super casual. The staff are all as hip as you, if you are a hipster. They are nice and helpful, and the food is hot and delicious.

Because the food took me by surprise, I am going to go with 4 cows, rather than 3 for not having a few more items for me to order. 4 cows for vegan breakfast choices!!!! Yum!!!

Pros: V = vegan, Vegan pancakes, Vegan migas & polenta
Cons: Need vegan dessert, C = carnivore
Avocado loving vegan
Avocado loving vegan

SOOOOOO goood

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

I freaking love this place. Their migas are to die for (vegan and gluten free), and they have selections for both those who want healthy foods, and those who want their meal covered in grease. It has great atmosphere and ambiance, I was there for breakfast one weekend and they had a dj spinning at like 11 am!!! Great rotating art too. It can be a bit of a wait because it's such an awesome place and kinda small, but well worth it.

Pros: excellent food, amazing vibe, good value
Cons: long wait

Dear Owner and Manager of Modern Times Cafe: