A collective run restaurant that's open for dinner only. Reservation required (except Sat), taking reservations between 2:30-6pm, limited to 50 diners. Menu changes daily and is fixed. A starter (usually soup, 1 euro), main dish (3 euro), dessert (1 euro). Beer and wine available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, International, Beer/Wine
Eerste Schinkelstraat 16 (near Vondelpark)
Amsterdam, Netherlands 1001 RA
020-6790712

Open Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, and Sat.

• Reservations required

First Review by Dharam
STFro
STFro

Good And Cheap

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2014

Excellent choice if you want a cheap, healthy and sustainable dinner. For as less as 5 euros, you can have a 3 course dinner. Profit goes to charity, so that's a big plus.

Pros: Price, Vegan, Location
Cons: Reservation Required, Not The Tastiest
Amy1274
Amy1274

Directions!

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

This place can be easy to miss; the entrance is through the burgundy gate - look for the sign for the, “anarchist bibliotheek,” - then turn right.

Kangzosa
Kangzosa

Awesome

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2014

Really good food for taste and the amount you get, they are usually okay with you having seconds (which you will prob want to) as long as everyone has had at least one serving and there is more left. Incredible value for 5 euros soup main and desert.

Informal service, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on the indiviual

There's also a really cool anarchist bookshop/cafe across from the kitchen

Pros: Price, Food, Atmosphere
Cons: The wait can sometimes be long

vegalicious
vegalicious

Great food

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

I've been to MKZ a few times. I've always loved the food. It's well made, and they always make dessert! (I'm a real sweet tooth). I love the up stairs tables from which you can oversee the rest of the place. It's really quite a unique building!

Doing dishes is not too bad if you only have to do your own plate and cutlery.

The only drawback I can think of is the staff (and much the other people there) being slightly 'hostile', or at least not very friendly. I think it has always been a squat place for anarchists and it seems like they can mainly interact with each other rather than with anyone who comes in. One more negative thing is the opening days: not on Saturdays and Sundays unfortunately...
However, I'm not too bothered by all that as long as they have such great food!

Pros: great tasting food, very fair price
Cons: staff
Sarask
Sarask

A nice place to go

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

I went to MKZ with my omnivore family, and it was very different than I thought. In the good way. You have to go up there and get your food yourself, and when you are done, you take the dishes. But it really doesn't matter that you have to do it yourself, because the atmosphere in there is so great and undescribeable. The food was great, they only had one menu, of course, but it tastes good.
It was very cheap, because it is runned by volunteers and it is a non-profit place.
A lot of 20 to 30-year old people came there to meet up, so it is a very local place.
But to sum up, it was a really great experience and defineatly worth a visit.

Pros: Nice staff, Great food, Fantastic atmosphere
Cons: Very local
mikebinos
mikebinos

one of the best squat meals

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

Far more food than what you get at Joe's Garage (though you pay a little more at MKZ, 5 euro vs. 3 at Joe's). Dessert is included, unlike at De Peper where you pay extra. For that reason it makes it a good choice for an Amsterdam squat meal. If you've never been to a squat meal in Amsterdam this is a good place to try it out.

Zinnia N
Zinnia N

Worth a visit

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2012

I had some reservations about going here because 1) it's way out of the way and 2) the person on the phone was pretty brusque, so I was worried it might be a bunch of crazy anarchists. Luckily it was a nice building and the people there seemed completely nice. The 3-course meal( where else can you get 3 courses for 5 eur?!!!) included sweet potato soup (sweet potatoes are expensive in Europe!), a plate with coucous, hummus, bread, cucumber salad and mixed vegetables and beans with sauce, and a cinnamon roll. The portion size was very reasonable. One negative is the doing the dishes by yourself, because you're basically at the mercy of your fellow diners and can only hope that they are thorough when cleaning. Also it was wholesome but I felt that the night I went wasn't super duper healthy, as the meal included refined couscous, white bread and the cinnamon roll I think was full of sugar. But I know not everyone is as concerned about these things as I am. Also a negative is that it is only open M-Fr after 19:00.
P.S. The correct time to call is after 14:30 (even though some sources say earlier)

Pros: Yummy, Price, 100% vegan, good cause
Cons: Location, Not super healthy, Ltd hours
kruidenthee
kruidenthee

Food you would make at home, in another place

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2011

MKZ is a place where you can eat whatever the kitchen has prepared for you. The place is a legalised squat, of which they are using a part as a kitchen/restaurant/bar something like that, it's not really something to define, you just have to experience it! It's possible to eat there for 5 euros, and then you get three courses, if you eat less then the three courses, it will be even cheaper. Everything they cook is vegan, and so far has been, really tasty! Imagine the food a bit to be as if you where cooking at home, but then you will eat that in a place with a great atmosphere, nice music and nice people (I'm not saying that that isn't possible at your own house;). What you will have for dinner really depends on who is cooking that day, and unlike the other review here, the times I went, the food wasn't that spicey, so I guess it really depends, and of course, how much spices you are used to. Last time I was there we missed out the first course, so we started with te second, which included: some cooked barley with olives and spices with tomato sauce. Then there was some kind of tempeh burger with humous, a salad and some cooked vegetables. The dessert was amazing! It was some kind of cake/pie, made of cocos with cookies and nuts, with a thick chocolate cream layer, delicious! But as I said before, the food really differs every time! One thing you have to be willing to do, is washing your own dishes (I think they changed that now, because the other review is saying something else). I think it helps even more with the aspect of giving you the feeling of being at home.

Pros: Amount of food, The price, The atmosphere
Dharam
Dharam

great but spicy

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2010

Me and my husband went here one night.We call in the afternoon and they only need your name and number of people. Then we walk all the VOndelpark and went there. The place is great, decoration is great and the concept is great also with the price, but i cant eat spicy food! The soup was spicy to but not too much, but the main dish that was looking great and full, wow it was very spicy. I ask the volunteers working there and they told me that that is normal. So the soup and the dessert with the beer (bio at 1€) was good and very cheap.
But remember if you dont like spicy food you may think in go to another place closest to the center then walk all the vondelpark and return!

Pros: Price, Place, Organization
Cons: Spicy, location

Dear Owner and Manager of MKZ: