Mint and Basil - Lang Chay

Opened 2011 as Lang Chay at 1143 Story Rd Ste 180, then re-branded and moved here in Dec 2015. Same owner and food. Vietnamese restaurant that's all vegan except for condensed milk used in iced tea. Large menu with hot pots, rice dishes, noodles, soups, desserts, and more. Prices cheap to moderate. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Vietnamese
969 Story Rd Ste 6039 (Vietnam Town Plaza)
San Jose, California 95122
408-275-6388

Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

First Review by laurajo
moretofuplease
moretofuplease

OK Chay in San Jose

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2015

Soon to be in a new location with a new name (yes I will use the update form), Lang Chay was our vegan lunch stop on the way from SLO to SF. We ordered a soup and a noodle dish. I marveled at the tiny bulbs of bok choy in the soup. Noodles went on forever, with no knives in sight. Both dishes contained a variety of fake meats, even fake shrimp. Don't know why I ordered fried chow fun, since I know fried noodles are too greasy, and they were, but the stack of napa cabbage made it seem healthy. Sign on the table said the new place will have the same food as the old place, but the new name is Mint & Basil. Wish the menu said it was all vegan, we asked the server who said it was "mostly" vegan, but didn't specify what was not. We asked about fish sauce, got a vague answer.

Pros: Soup was OK, Lots of veggies, Variety of fake meats
Cons: Menu didn't specify vegan, Server wasn't too helpful, Place is run-down, but they're moving
Veggieguanaco
Veggieguanaco

Best veggie Pho

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

In the Little Saigon area, close to 101, 280 freeways this jewel of veggie restaurant serves the best food for veggies and regular foddies alike. The soups are made fresh by the bowl, the veggie dishes delicious and the prices affordable. I've been coming here since they opened and love the food. Try it!

Pros: fresh food, affordable
swircle987
swircle987

Excellent Vegan Restaurant Chain!

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2012

I was on my way to one of my other favorite veg restaurants - Hong Hoa Chay - when I noticed the vegan restaurant I was planning on going to on Friday - Lang Chay - right across the street!

I was so happy to see it, my plans changed right there. The food is all vegan and awesome looking. I was there for lunch, and was able to view some dishes other than the one I ordered - The Mixed Vegetable and "Meat" Chow Fun (#39). Needless to say, the one I ordered was the sort of meal for which the leftovers I ate at home were even tastier!

I can't wait to return on Friday as planned and try another meal! ^_^

I know that would have been the most dramatic place to end this review, but I feel the need to say: they have a ton of different vegan Pho variations, too!!! !^_^!

Pros: all vegan!, cheap!, large portions!
Cons: none

laurajo
laurajo

So impressed!!

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2012

My fiancee stumbled upon this place and decided to try it. Oh my gosh! We shared the Stir Fried Vegetable with "meat" combo Chow Fun (#39 on the menu) and it was so delicious! I expected it to be good, but not that good. I can't wait to eventually try everything on the menu and it's too bad we hadn't known about the place sooner!

Pros: mouth watering, reasonably priced, large portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Mint and Basil - Lang Chay: