Serves meat, veg options available. Located in Chinatown, Chinese restaurant with a modern decor, also offers some Japanese dishes. Has vegan options. Serves a variety of vegetable-based dishes including Chinese spinach, tofu and more. Also offers spring rolls, tofu miso soup, salads and more. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by cookiem
cookiem
cookiem

Fake Meat with Sparse Veggies

2 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

If you like that reconstituted tough chewy fake meat, you will like this place. If you are starving at 1 am and need some food, you will like this place. If you recognize that a restaurant that serves sushi and Chinese food is not a logical connection, you will not like this place.

It's hip and looks nicer inside than the majority of other Chinese restaurants in this heart of "Chinatown." However, the decor does not make up for the food.

The veg soup is good, but, not enough to want me to think about ordering it again. Granted, I only had one other dish - vegetarian chicken in spicy garlic sauce - but, I think I still can tell what's good vs. not good in a Chinese restaurant. This place was not good. I was disappointed. The flavor was a mix between slightly spicy and sweet and sour. It's one thing to taste like that if I'd ordered that flavor, but a spicy garlic sauce should be spicy and taste like garlic - disappointing on both fronts.

In addition, the entree had used many veggies that aren't my fav if not fresh, like bamboo shoots and reconstituted mushrooms. The soup had the same: straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots and baby corn, giving the soup a weak flavor of, well, canned veggies. The fresh broccoli and snow peas were nice, but not enough.

I had to ask to not have MSG, but they didn't say anything otherwise. I might return to give them another chance, but they meet expectations. Any Chinese restaurant serving Japanese food/ sushi too is rarely up to my standards for cuisine. There weren't even any options to just order plain veggies?! All of the veg dishes came with fake meat?! That's pretty inauthentic, if you ask me. Ming's only gets 2 because it has fake meat options.

So, the low down: go if you're starving, avoid if you can.

Pros: Fake meat, Open late, Nice service
Cons: Tough/ dry fake meat, Flavors odd, Pricey for food

Dear Owner and Manager of Ming's Restaurant: