Ming Tao Xuan

Tea House. Tea tasting and light vegetarian food. Small food menu such as tofu wrap, steam buns, salad, cookies, and cheese cake. Green teas varieties as well as oolong tea, white tea, black tea, organic green, and pu ehr. Open 11am-7:30pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Tea House
451 St-Sulpice (Rue Des Bresoles, opposite Notre-Dame Basilique in Old Montreal)
Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2V8
514-845-9448

First Review by kennyp353
Carrot_Stick
Carrot_Stick

Charmant :-)

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

Nice place for very light vegetarian fair. More of a tea house than a cafe or restaurant. Great selection of specialty teas. In China, there are certain ways that teas are served and consumed. If you like learning about cultural things, stop in and order a tea and have an appetizer---then once refreshed, continue your exploration of Vieux Montreal.

gwild
gwild

great atmosphere

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

They are located on a gorgeous street in old Montreal. The shop is filled with teas and teapots for sale. The chairs and tables are intricately carved. They have one menu filed with numerous teas. They cost around $6 each. The serving of the tea was an experience.
We also had four appetizer type dishes each about $7. The mango salad was outstanding. We also had steamed sticky buns, faux chicken skewers and rolls wrapped in bean curd. All were excellent.

Pros: atmosphere, location
Cons: not many food choices, bit pricey for tea
evZENy
evZENy

Why would anyone miss this place !?

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

We go to Montreal 2 times per year. And usually we go to a place where we have some maple based breakfast. From the next trip the tradition will change - first stop from the airport - Ming Tao Xuan!
As a tea place - amazing selection and true to tradition way of serving. As a place to snack - very good and hard to find vegetarian Asian delights. We loved both the salad and the steamed buns. As a place to inhale the Chinese spirit of tea drinking - unbeatable! The personal attention and care of the detail in the explanation of the preparation and drinking of the tea were very touching! Loved the ambiance, the collection of pots, even the video looped on the way tea is grown and used in China. We spent 2 hours there on 27.Nov.09. Can't wait for the next trip! Till then - will enjoy the teas we bought - reasonable prices even with the high taxes of Quebec :-)

Pros: tea and food menu, ambiance, care to detail
lbatesfr
lbatesfr

Unique Experience in the Heart of Old Montreal

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

A block from the touristy Notre Dame Basilica, we stumbled across this gem. The staff at Ming Tao Xuan welcomed us in and set us up with a traditional tea ceremony. My hubby had a very unique, but tasty green tea, while I had a pur-eh tea which our waitress suggested would calm my travel indigestion. We also had tofu rolls and veggie chicken satay, which were good, but the tea was definitely the main focus. They also have many unique tea sets and chinese art for sale. We highly recommend Ming Tao Xuan.

Pros: friendly staff, unique experience
philjdomm
philjdomm

Zen Out

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2008

we sat on the display table where you cross your legs and it felt really authentic and touristy at same time.
it zened me out and calmed my senses!

kennyp353
kennyp353

Unique and amazing experience

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2008

This place isn't really about the (exclusively vegetarian) food. It's about the whole experience of an authentic Chinese tea ceremony amid the traditional and exquisite Buddhist decor.

The tea menu has dozens of teas - I had no idea where to start, so I asked for help and the waitress suggested I just take the first one! The waiter brought the tea with the associated paraphernalia, and spent a couple of minutes going through the ritual and showing me what to do. An amazing experience, and all for not much more than your regular Starbucks.

There are only about eight food items on the menu. I had the melon and cashew salad with the vegetarian chicken - both were pretty good, together they were filling, but as I said, it's not really about the food - it's about the experience. With the tea it was under $20 plus tax and tip for an experience I will never forget. Thoroughly recommended if you're in the old town area, and worth a special trip.

Pros: Exquisite experience, Great atmosphere, Personal service
Cons: Limited menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Ming Tao Xuan: