Gourmet San Francisco vegan restaurant and wine bar without a formal dress code, the most upscale of vegetarian restaurants in San Francisco. Can be romantic, elegant, or casual. Dinner main course each from around $20-22, salads from $9-11, special tasting menu from $45-60 person. Extensive vegan wine and beer list. Reservation recommended. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Gourmet, Beer/Wine
580 Geary St (Jones, inside Hotel California, Union Square/Theatre District)
San Francisco, California 94102
415-345-3900

Open for dinners only Sun-Thur 5:30-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:30-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Vegan Mom
Nessy
Nessy

in love

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

As a 15 yer old vegan foodie this was the place for me. The quality, taste and service was amazing. The food.. Spectacular. A must to go to!

Malin
Malin

ok food, not amazing

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

I had the raw taste menu and was not that impressed. The cucumber sallad and the avocado soup was really good. The entre was a sallad. It was good, but not amazing. Dessert was lame, peach per fair with frozen blackberrys that was almost impossible to get on the spoon(one big rock). Of what the others had I can recommend the Wellington and chocolate almond cake. I am being generous with four stars. Jose (our buzzer) made our night, so sweet and friendly! Wish we could have given him all the tips.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Underwhelming...

3 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

Millennium was pretty much the reason we booked our weekend trip to San Francisco. We missed it when we were in town a few years back, and I'd been dying to visit again just so I could eat here. My expectations were sky-high given all the wonderful words I had heard and read about it. I was looking forward to be mesmerized and dazzled, but only to be left scratching my head about the hype...

Two of us shared three appetizers, two main courses, and a dessert:

Potato dumplings - The broth was bright and pleasantly tart thanks to the rhubarb, but it was barely warm. The dumplings were soggy as if they had been left in the cooking liquid for hours and didn’t have much flavor.

Black bean cakes - I had a hard time recalling what this dish was like because it was so unmemorable. All I could remember was two pieces of mediocre and tepid bean cakes with some nice tasting pickles on the side...

Arancini - The fried rice ball was creamy and gooey on the inside while crispy on the outside. The sauce was delicious. Best dish of the evening.

Phyllo purse - Looked good on paper but turned out to be a dud. There seemed to be a lot going on, but it didn’t work. The purse was stuffed with uniformly mushy ingredients that could use some texture. The turnip-white bean mixture on the plate was no better. The former were still firm from undercooking; the latter were the exact opposite - overcooked and too soft. The whole dish was a bit flat to taste and, again, lukewarm.

Spring dosa - Filled with chana masala style chickpeas and topped with spring onion tempura. It was pretty good, just not great.

Chocolate cake - Another disappointment. The cake was plain sweet, cloying so, without much chocolate flavor. The ice cream was middling. Portion was tiny. The $10 price tag was hefty.

We did also ask for the bread (apparently they would only give it out upon request), which came with a lentil spread. These were nothing to write home about - the spread was fair but the bread was a bit stale.

Overall, our dinner was quite a letdown. Service was okay, the setting was upscale and elegant, but the food was merely passable. The menu was refined and sophisticated, but the execution was lacking. One thing that struck me throughout the evening was the not-warm-enough food. I hate to say this, but compared to all the other fancy veg*n restaurants I’ve been to, Millennium didn’t really measure up. By no means was it bad, but I felt it could’ve been so much better. This is a 3 for me.

Pros: location
Cons: food
mmeghani
mmeghani

Great vegan food. One of the best restaurants!

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

I have been dining at Millenium for years, & am only now realizing that I had not written a much needed review. Millenium is a high price end, creative, vegan restaurant. The menu is varied & changes regularly. You will not find vegetarian substitutes for usual non vegetarian foods. Instead you will find creative dishes & ingredients. There are some regular menu items that I want to highlight - the black bean torte & the chocolate midnight desert. Recently, we also had the flatbread, soup, polenta, risotto cake, & for drinks, the sweet ending, creamsicle & sparkling grape. If you are a San Francisco Vegetarian Society member & show your card, you get 10% off. I & the people I have dined here with including friends, family & my wife, have always loved the food here. On special occasions, they have a fixed price menu & that can also be nice. Their gourmet cakes, needing 2 days advance notice, to order, are some of the best cakes around - vegan or not! This is a restaurant that we like to come to once or twice a year for special occasions or with guests. Parking is on the street or in a local garage. Be sure to make reservations - they fill up weeks in advance. They are not open for lunch.

Pros: creative menu, gourmet food, great chocolate cake
Cons: tables are close to each other, no view, expensive
Justin Williams
Justin Williams

Horrible Service with Mediocre Food

2 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2014

I was not impressed with this establishment at all. The only good things I can say is that the host was extremely friendly and the busser Tino is a Rockstar.

The food was Mediocre at best, and not worth the high price tag. I have no problem paying a high price when the food justifies it, but this is not the case at Millennium.

Our server, Sofia, was not friendly and barely did more than take our order. I don't think I saw her smile once. Actually I didn't barely saw her the entire meal. Tino, the busboy, did ALL the work. He brought out our food, refilled our drinks, took our plates, asked how we were doing. Sofia on the other hand was no where to be found for most of the evening.

When it was time for dessert, she dropped the menu at the table and walked away without saying word. She had an attitude that seemed as if she felt she was too good to be waiting on us. I will not be returning to this establishment and would suggest you find somewhere else to eat for a good veg*n meal.

Greens is great if you want upscale, and you can't go wrong at Pena Pachamama.

Pros: Tino
Cons: Food, Sofia, Service

AnnetteDawson-Miller
AnnetteDawson-Miller

No Reservation Call Back

2 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

Did not eat here as they never returned my calls asking to make dinner reservations as required.

Cons: Reservations Needed.
nzlndr00
nzlndr00

My favorite restaurant in San Francisco

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

I love Millennium. It is, and has been every time I have gone, delicious!

Here is what I had the last time I went- Started with a glass of red wine. Appetizers- Sunchoke Ravioli, and Black Bean Sopes. Got my second drink- a Rum Horchata. Main- Potato and Chard Roulade. Desserts- Chocolate Almond Midnight, and a fudge cake with peanut butter mouse with a side of a (hardened) chocolate covered scoop of chocolate hazelnut ice cream.

Oh My. So. Damn. Good. Even my brother and our friend, who are omnivores, thought it was tasty!

This is a place I make a point to go to every time I am in San Francisco, and I have never been disappointed.

Pros: great environment, hiqh quality and delicious food, beautiful presentation
khalidasweila
khalidasweila

excellence delicious not that expensive

3 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

I'm a vegan traveler and stayed at the clif with this right down the bloc. no reservation sat by the bar with my girl service was lovely food was creative healthy and well portioned and it wasn't terribly expensive $110 for two plus 4 glasses of great wine!

Pros: vegan, wine , service
unoclay
unoclay

It was decent. Not epic but decent.

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

I eat vegan and veg all over the world. This restaurant aspires to high society, small plates, fine dining. Decor is great and a very tasteful place. Good beer list.

Maybe i wasnt in the perfect mood for smaller plates, but it didnt blow me away. It was good, for certain. However, my meal wasn't super-remarkable...just tasty and "fine".

I'd recommend it to anyone, with the caveat that you may end up spending a lot of money if you're feeling super-hungry, and some dishes may be more distinctive than others.

Ferfie
Ferfie

Wicked Fancy

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

The menu definitely pricier, but the presentation and execution was fantastic. Our server was incredibly personable and knowledgable, not to mention everything was prepared super quickly and glasses were constantly filled with water. She also kindly provided a free dessert for our meal so no gripes about that. It's pretty rad to see some wicked craft beer despite the mark up on some.

Pros: Service, Presentation, Taste (and craft beer)
Cons: Pricey but worth it
Soul2Soul Educare
Soul2Soul Educare

Elegant Vegan Dining

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

We dined here a couple of years ago when we visited San Francisco and had loved it. We decided to go back again this year during our road trip across the country. We loved it once again! If you're looking for a real elegant experience in vegan dining this is the place for you. All the dishes are not only deliciously prepared but they are a work of art to look at. It is pretty pricey though but then you are paying for the gourmet food and the beautiful presentation of the food. The service was okay. The food isn't anything you could throw together in your kitchen. Their dishes take hours to prepare. I know because I bought their cookbook a few years ago. I love this place.

veggieriga
veggieriga

Great every time

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2013

I have been eating here for years as I previously had to travel to SF a lot for work. The food is always wonderful, and the service is also great. In my opinion, it's the best vegan restaurant in the US. It's a bit expensive, but I usually just get a main course, so it is somewhat reasonable; although sometimes I splurge and get an appetizer and dessert. In any case, it's well worth the price and highly recommended. I also have one of the cookbooks and also recommend them.

Pros: amazing gourmet vegan food, fantastic atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: a bit expensive, only open for dinner
sparedes
sparedes

best vegan food I've ever had

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2013

I wish I lived here so I could try the entire menu. The food was the best tasting vegan food I've ever had in a restaurant. The price is higher than some restaurants, but reflects the quality of the food appropriately. The restaurant itself was very nicely decorated, and service was excellent. I can't wait to come back on my next trip!

Pros: best food ever
Cons: gourmet food prices (but fair!)
Docmartin9
Docmartin9

Really good

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

Great atmosphere. Interesting flavor combinations. If you are in a hurry the service will feel a bit slow.

Pros: fine dining, wine list, all vegan
Cons: slow service, pricey
Pete- old energy
Pete- old energy

Creativity

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

Reading the other reviews makes me think that some of the folks are less creative, or else the chef was just not in his/her best form that night. We found it to be one of the best restaurant experiences of our lives. Each dish had a variety of flavors that made sense. My entree consisted of a pastry, with a creamy cashew center, with wonderful mushrooms, carrots, an numerous other vegetables. The desert was outstanding, being their mainstay desert consisting of a chocolate cake, with a creamy toping that was heavenly. The service was superb. She knew how to explain each dish we considered, and guided according to our preferences.

The setting was not the highlight, but more than adequate. The prices, which were on the high side for vegan dishes, was well within expectations considering the care which went into the creations.

Our strongest recommendations go to Millennium.

Veggies12345
Veggies12345

fantastic

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

Love this place. It's the kind of food you would expect at a wedding, just lovely :)

Pros: very nice, friendly staff, location
Cons: price
no whey!
no whey!

Mecca

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Okay, I admit that I put off writing this review simply because it has a huge reputation in the vegan community, and in my eyes it completely lived up to its reputation. Basically, the food was so incredibly good that I am lost for words. But I'll try..

We made a reservation, and ended up grabbing a spot that opened at the bar instead, which was convenient. The restaurant is located in a weird fancy Best Western, but that didn't take away from the classiness to me.

The bartender made a good cocktail and was an attentive server too. He even knew some people in Nashville where I'm from (wha??) My friend and I split every dish we ordered. The black bean torte is the bomb, and the Brussels sprouts were amazing. I honestly can't name everything we tried, but everything was exciting and delicious. I won't lie- my friend who eats a regular omnivore diet was not as impressed as I was. But in fairness, I was in heaven, so that's a tough emotional state to match.

The "Little girls dream of their wedding day" cliché is an accurate comparison to the "little vegans dream of the day they get to eat at Millenium" cliché I'd heard about. Yes, it's hyped and fancy and pricey, but frankly, it's hard to find vegan places of this quality, so it's 100% worth checking out. I loved it.

Pros: Inventive flavors, Vegan mecca, Srsly
Cons: small plates, price, blahblah
elm
elm
  • raw

Simply Wonderful

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

Although we are now raw organic vegans, Millennium in Geary Street San Francisco is a heavenly place to eat. The food changes regular, its not listed as veg, people who arn't veg simply love the food,very different to the normal animal free type meals. They have a special desert chef who has amazing
creative skills. We like to sit at the bar and eat, you can watch all the chefs preparing amazing food. All organised by the wonderful owner Eric Tucker. You can buy their books too.
Millennium is know as a destination restaurant. We had 5 nights in San Francisco and ate here each night. There were
people having dinner with us from all around the globe.

pipistrella
pipistrella

delicious.

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

I liked the atmosphere and the food - it's a little bit pricey but perfect for special occasions.
The dishes are tasty and very creative.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Millennium

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

I travel a lot and have eaten at many vegan fancy-pants restaurants. This one falls short in many aspects, especially in comparison to it's peers across the US such as Vedge (Philadelphia), Blossom (NYC), Candle Cafe (NYC), etc. I obviously decided to give Millennium another shot and decided to upgrade it from a 3 to a 4, but I really think it's a 3.5 overall.

I had the roulade and my travel partner had the polenta as our main dishes. We also ordered a few appetizers too, the brussel sprouts and the potato gnocchi.

The potato gnocchi was pretty good, but I felt there could have been more gnocchi and less of the extra stuff they put in there. The brussel sprouts were just brussel sprouts, I think they could have been more innovative with this appetizer, especially for $8.

The roulade was actually good. But honestly, it tasted like vegetable samosas that you can get at an Indian restaurant. The polenta was good too, but my dining parter didn't care for it enough to finish it.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 22, 2010:
This restaurant was within footsteps of my hotel so my travel friend and I decided to go here for a 'fancy' dinner. Overall Millennium was really nice and fancy, but the food was just not for me/us.

• SynthVegan SynthVegan

Hi Kindlizard - Based off of the mixed reviews, we had originally intended to go to Greens for our nice dinner. We didn't get around to making a reservation until the middle of our 1.5 week vacation in SF, so the day we set aside happened to be a day Greens was closed for a private party. Therefore we made the reservation at Millennium instead. I find that this place is similar to Green Zebra in Chicago or even Terrene in St. Louis - fancy places with fancy food. I really thought the food was just OK, hence the 3 cow rating, and not worth the price they were charging. I'm all for spending more money on good food, but this place simply didn't make the cut for me. I think you should still try it for yourself and see what you think. :)

• kindlizard kindlizard

I respect the views of folks like you who have reviewed a lot of places. I see a bad review for one of the highly acclaimed veg places in the country. As I haven't tried this place yet but see conflicting reviews, I am curious why you don't like this place. Could you please tell us more about your meal? Was the food bad? What about it did you not like? Service ok? Other than being close to your hotel and "fancy", and "nice" I know little about your opinion of this place other than it wasn't for you. Why so? quality please, over quantity

• kindlizard kindlizard

What did you order? Was just adequately done and not really "worth" it, all in all? I was going to go here the other week in SF but felt like if it tanked and I brought my in-laws to an expensive place that tanked, it somehow loses credibility for the next time. They did love Horizons fwiw... Thanks SV

super8J
super8J

Really impressed

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

My wife and I went to Millenium accompanied by our one-year old daughter for her birthday. The food was excellent and the staff could not have been nicer. Really good to see a vegan restaurant so busy: its trick is not to to be smart enough to attract anyone wanting a bit of a special night out. It was a real treat for us!
Updated from previous review on Monday October 27, 2008

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Chandeliers!
rommiej
rommiej

As creative as it gets

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

We've been to Millennium a few times, but somehow never bothered to write a proper review. In a city filled with wonderful vegan/vegetarian options, this venerable spot is the crown jewel. Tucked inside the quaint Hotel California just a few blocks from Union Square, Millennium has all the trappings of an upscale, fine-dining experience but deftly evades the stuffiness usually associated with such an affair. The top-notch cocktail menu and world-class (but locally focused) wine list don't hurt in that regard, but a kitchen that's accomplished enough to be playful is what really sets the tone.

On our most recent visit, the globally-inspired, impossibly creative regular menu was replaced with a chef's prix-fixe tasting menu, complete with wine pairings. It's always fun to put your culinary fate in the hands of a creative professional (especially when you're confident they understand your dietary choices), and this was no exception.

Our meal began with an amuse course of King Trumpet Mushroom "Crudo" served alongside an inventive Beet Tartare (not a typo). Both were delightful, but we were especially impressed by the way the chef created vegan versions of familiar "meat"-based dishes without feeling any obligation to make them actually taste like animal products (a phenomenon all-too-common at many veg eateries). The first course was a Blood Orange, Nopales and Watermelon Radish Ceviche, continuing the theme of appropriating "meat"-based conventions. (Instead of the traditional raw fish, we got citrus-marinated, brilliantly colored fruits.) It's tough to make a memorable salad, but they pulled it off with unique ingredients, a creative approach and an absolutely sublime wine pairing (Old World Winery 2010 Pinot Gris, Russian River Valley). The second course, Poori, was split down the middle, half green and half yellow, almost like a yin-and-yang of South Asian cuisine. On the left, we had a mild, creamy Punjabi soup and on the right a heartier Sri Lankan stew -- equally delicious eaten alone or together. For entrees, I got the Musquee De Provence Tortellini while my wife got the Black Garlic and Miso Glazed Abalone Mushroom. The mushroom dish was the standout with its variety of textures and heavenly sauce, but the tortellini helds its own, offering a symphony of earthy flavors. Black and White Layer Cake was easily the most decadent chocolate cake we've had -- vegan or otherwise.

Long story short, Millennium is a must-visit restaurant whatever your diet.

Pros: Creativity, Ambience, Wine List
Cons: Expensive
greenhexi
greenhexi

Good food, really bad service.

3 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2012

The food was yummy, not much fake stuff but they really did the healthy stuff, wide selection and seasonal options available.
Service was really bad, barely anyone ever came to my table and I had to beg them to bring me desert.
Don't know whether I come back. Price too high for no service.

Diet Coach
Diet Coach

My Favorite!

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2012

No reservation and little time. It took us a while to find it despite the help from Siri. When I called, they said we would have to sit at the bar, but they ended up giving us a table. It was 5:30 on a Tuesday and it looked like Saturday night. My pumpkin risotto was delicious and I ate every bite! Justine was a great waiter, darling and knowledgable. It is not often that I have the problem of deciding what to order (usually I am lucky to have one vegan choice)--his recommendation was perfect! A restaurant for all vegan restaurants to aspire to.

Pros: Great food, Seasonal, Excellent Service
Cons: Expensive
SoledadMoretti
SoledadMoretti

Delicious

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

Well, Millenium was my very first visit to a 100% vegan restaurant, I have to say I was amazed. Food is delicious, dishes are very well served. I must warn, if you are very hungry, this is an expensive gourmet restaurant, so don't expect large portions.

Desserts are also exquisite.

Must go and visit. It's worth it.

Pros: delicious, tasty, nice place
veganamanda
veganamanda

Disappointed

3 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2012

I was so excited to try Millennium on my trip to SF. I ordered the Mushrooms and corn cakes and was really underwhelmed. The portabellos were bland and something in the sauce got stuck in my throat and made me cough and eyes water. I also tried the chocolate mouse pie. It was good, but not great. Having dined at Candle 79 a few weeks earlier, it just wasn't as good. A $40 meal should be better. The wait staff was quick and professional, but not friendly. The place was dark and kind of had a weird smell. Sad :-(

Pros: quick service
Cons: overpriced, dark, bland
vegan frog
vegan frog

The best in the world!

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

Simply put, Millenium is the best vegan restaurant we have ever eaten at. I have been there multiple times on different visits to San Francisco and it has been consistently amazing. The dishes are clearly detailed on the menu and few of them can be easily recreated at home. I have never been disappointed at Millenium and love forward to every single visit there. The food may be a little pricey but everything is worth it.

Pros: gourmet food, best vegan food, clean
Cons: pricey but well worth it, tables are a bit close to each other
MasonLegrange
MasonLegrange

Awesome

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2012

Service, food, atmosphere, they do. It right there, it's not as good as Saf in London, but I never ever got bad food there, it's always fresh and tasty, and the staff make you feel good

VgnPwr
VgnPwr

mmmmmmm.....

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

My mouth waters thinking about the cornmeal crusted mushrooms!! Even just going to sit at the bar and have appetizers and dessert is worth it. Love the staff too!
Good date place. Don't worry, you can wear whatever you want. Maybe if you dress messy enough they will think you are famous!

Pros: vegan, yummy!!
Chia
Chia

Elegant Dining

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Millennium review.

On a past trip to San Francisco, my husband and I made sure to come here to try it. We were very impressed with the fine interior that felt elegance and romantic, with velvet red curtains framing tall windows at the front of the restaurant, and soft yellow lights dimly warming the inside. Everything about this place felt sophisticated.

The food we ordered mostly tasted good. We ordered a grilled bitter greens/sweet onion/figs salad, the grilled rosa blanca eggplant napoleon, and the chipotle grilled portobello & zucchini tamale -- of which the former 2 were delicious but the latter was not. The sauce on the tamales was heavy, spicy, and salty. But the salad was unique and the eggplant napoleon was tender and perfect (I recommend it).

If I lived in San Francisco and could afford to eat fine gourmet cuisine all the time, I would definitely like to come back to the Millenium.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 03, 2006

Pros: beautiful presentation, excellent wine, attentive service
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

One of the best restaurants I've been to

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

Millennium is seriously one of THE BEST restaurants I've been to. Their chefs are fantastic, and the food is amazing. The prices are up there, but it's worth it for what you get. It's great for a night out.

Pros: Good for a night out, Amazing food, Great atmosphere
Cons: Pricey
estefinparis
estefinparis

Chic and great service

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

Millennium is a great stylish restaurant offering an upscale vegan dining experience. The changing menu is creative and elaborate, the food is very good but definitely on the heavy side. The place was packed so make sure to call in advance.

conservomom
conservomom

excellent but exensive

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2011

Most veg restaurants in the Bay Area are Asian, but the menu at Millennium was much more varied. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was elegant without being pretentious. The service may have been slow, I don't know, because we were having a very leisurely dinner. On the down side, it is very expensive. But that's a plus in the sense that people who want an elegant dining experience can find it here.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine
emsoprano
emsoprano

All time favorite restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

I love when my rich friends take me out here. It makes my life.

I will occasionally splurge myself if it is a good friend's birthday or something.

I've never been disappointed here and the service is always outstanding.

YUM.

Pros: gourmet vegan, great drinks, beautiful atmosphere
Cons: expensive, too many great things to choose from
marturey
marturey

Upscale Disaster

2 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

Millennium was without a doubt the worst dining experience we had in San Francisco. Not only was the service terrible (I think our waiter ignored us to tend to the larger table he was working) but the food was horrible. We rarely go to an upscale restaurant and were expecting great food from Millennium but instead we got salty salad (don't know how they accomplished that), tempeh that was saturated in a sickly sweet sauce, and a vile dessert that seemed prepared by someone at their first day of baking class (how can chocolate taste bad)? The 'molten chocolate cake' was a poor excuse for a chocolate cupcake (I think they forgot to use salt since it was absolutely tasteless). The waiter didn't even comment on why it was being returned uneaten. Had the waiter come by to ask how things were, we would have told him the food was a cross between bland, salty, and sugary. Instead we left with a hefty bill, having had a poor dining experience. The atmosphere in the restaurant is quite nice and romantic but serving poor quality food court food doesn't cut it for an establishment that is supposed to be an upscale vegan restaurant.

Pros: decor/atmosphere, location is convenient
Cons: awful food, overpriced, poor service
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Excellent Fine Vegan Dining

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

My husband and I were lucky enough to visit Millennium while we were visiting San Francisco, and it was great. It's definitely expensive, but we knew what we were getting in to, and I think it was worth it to have an elegant dining experience with fabulous food and service. As a vegan, I do not often have a chance to experience fine dining, which I think is fun to do every now and again.
The food was great, with entrees such as macadamia nut tofu and bbq plum tempeh, and the desserts were fabulous as well. I tried the chocolate almond midnight, which is a chocolate pie with white choc. mousse topping and raspberry sauce. Wow. It was great. I will say that the portions are not large, so 2 entrees, 1 side of sauteed greens, and dessert was just about right for two people.
I recommend this place if you are looking for a nice place for a special occasion or vacation.

Pros: Great gourmet vegan food, Beautiful presentation, Elegant atmosphere
Cons: Very expensive, Reservations needed
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Millennium Rocks

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

I have to go to Millennium every time I'm in SF. Maybe I've been lucky, but each time it's such a wonderful experience. The staff is a delight and the food is fantastic. I've had only 5 cow experiences. Yes, it's over priced but I don't mind. Highly recommended.

kimward8
kimward8

Best vegan food ever!

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

This place was a dream come true for me. Fancy vegan food that is delicious. I had the Macadamia Nut encrusted tofu with plum chutney, thai yellow curry sauce with eggplant, mushrooms, potatoes and snap peas. It was delicious and filling. The appetizer I had was a Chickpea Panisse (Cickpea cake) with assorted mushrooms in some kind of sauce. That was also amazing. For dessert we had the chocolate almond midnight cake which was kindof like a chocolate mousse cake. It was really good as well. They also had pinot noir grape juice which was great, as I don't like wine. It is attached to the Hotel California where we stayed just so that we could go to Millenium. I'm glad we went there instead of Greens (whose online menu didn't look very vegan friendly), and I was not dissapointed.

VeganJenJen
VeganJenJen

Lovely - would recommend

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

We went to Millenium for our one week anniversary (got married in vegas!) and had a lovely meal. The food was great, and it's always amazing to have a range of vegan desserts to choose from! Also cocktails included a white russian. The atmosphere was lovely and overall a great experience.

Pros: Great food, lovely desserts, nice atmosphere
Cons: bit pricey (but worth it)
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Wonderful place

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2011

We finally made it back to Millennium after a long absence. This time we came with Dirk's non-vegan brother who wanted to try fancy vegan food. We had a reservation for 5:30pm on a Sunday night when they opened, so we were seated within a few minutes. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. We all ordered cocktails to start: Key West, Ginger Jim and a regular martini. We shared the seared asparagus and roasted beets. The asparagus was a bit too spicy for me, but the guys loved it. And the beets were perfectly roasted with a fabulous balsamic reduction sauce. Dirk also had a spinach salad with tea smoked tofu that was divine. For entrees, Dirk's brother had the portobello mushroom dish while we shared the mustard seed and black pepper smoked tempeh with barley risotto as well as the brick pastry roulade with seitan. Everything was wonderful, especially the tempeh and barley risotto which were beyond fabulous. We shared 3 desserts of tapioca pudding with almond cherry ice cream, the chocolate midnight almond cake and the mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwich. We each had a different favorite although they were all great. Dirk and I also each got a nocturne dessert martini which is an espresso one. So yummy. Dirk's brother got a dessert wine and coffee. Overall, everything was absolutely excellent. This was our best experience yet at Millennium. We've had to wait before, been in a cramped table location or just had an okay dish, but it was just perfect this time, so we highly look forward to the next time.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 08, 2009
Whenever we are back in the Bay Area visiting my boyfriend's parents, we try to come here. It's definitely the nicest vegan restaurant. Lovely space and atmosphere - great for special occasions. The drinks at the bar are fantastic. All the food has been amazing, yet I still prefer Madeleine's back home in LA. Just personal preference. I would highly recommend coming here if you are in the City.

Pros: amazing food, fantastic drinks, great atmosphere
marco122769
marco122769

Great Huitlacoche!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

I'm Mexican and I love Huitlacoche. Is the mushroom that grows on corn. I had a great Southwest "New Mexican" style dish with Huitlacoche and it was amazing. Great vegan wines and the incredible vegan chocolate cake dessert. I loved this restaurant. Don't miss it while in San Francisco!!!

Pros: Food, Desserts, Wine
KimWatson
KimWatson

All the way from Australia - Were we just unlucky?

2 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

Having flown from Australia, and after spending last night in LA my vegan partner and I were really looking forward to trying this place. We ate at Real Food Daily (in Santa Monica) last night where we were absolutely blown away. And reading the stellar reviews for Millennium we were really looking forward to following it up with something equally as good.

So, the atmosphere was great, and the cocktails were really good. The barman was quite talented.

However, that's as good as it got for us. Okay so firstly, the meals were tiny!! We don't expect large American portions either. For the price, I expect better. The only exception which justifies this serving size / price ratio, is quality. That's the thing. The food was served late. The temperature of the dishes were cold. My girlfriend's especially so. In terms of execution, the components which made up each of our two dishes didn't mesh well, they just didn't make any sense - the flavours were not cohesive. Overly complex. Also, the main dish I had contained an extremely bitter spinach, and broccoli - which tasted like it was cooked in rancid oil. The theme of each dish was scattered, too many strong directions all pulling in different ways. I feel like the cooks/chefs wish to be flash, and flamboyant - to live up to the price. But, the fundamentals are failing. We could see the kitchen / preparation area from where we sat. The dishes appeared to be created from largely pre-prepared components (more macro in scope than I would assume to be normal). As such, it had a dull reheated last nights dinner kind of feel to it.

The desert was nice, however the pecans contained in it were bitter / rancid as well. Also the "scoop" of ice-cream, was a little over a tablespoon worth. I mean come on guys!

I really, really dislike saying all this - but when you put yourself up that high, by charging such ridiculous prices - you need to perform!!

We have eaten at many vegan restaurants around the world, in places such as London, Lisbon, Barcelona, Sydney, Melbourne, etc.

Unfortunately, this experience just smacked us in the face. It left us feeling really ripped off and negative about the whole thing. ie. coming across as conceited, and greedy.

I hope it was just an off night. Surely the previous reviews can't be wrong. I sure hope so.

Pros: Great Enviroment, Good Location, Potential
Cons: Expensive, Poor Execution
novackofo
novackofo
  • raw

MY FAVORITE VEGAN RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

I have been a devoted and loyal customer at the Millennium since they were on McCalister St. I have been a vegan most of life and the Millennium takes vegan cusine to a new level Their presentation is beautiful and creative, the ambience is sophisticated and the dishes are unbeleiveable. The integrity and the devotion to the vegan lifestyle and cusine at the Millennium is of the highest level. There is no vegan restaurant in the world that holds a candle to the Millennium. I have been to vegan restaurants all over the world and the Millinnium is in a class all of its own. Even my flesh eating friends and family love the Millinnium. If you are a vegan and you have not experienced the Millinnium, you haven't experienced the true delight of being a vegan.

The creativity in the cuisine is brilliant and the flavors of each dish is like art. Their presentation is eloquent and the most amazing I have ever experienced.

The staff is very accommodating, knowledgeable and professional. I have dined here 100's of times and each time I dine is fresh and unique.

I highly recommend the Millennium as a priority to the most unique dining experience of your life.....

Pros: amazing, brilliant, one of a kind
t-bone123456
t-bone123456

Love this place

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2010

Best veg food -- maybe ever.
A great night out, it's absolutely delicious.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great ambiance
iwoof4u
iwoof4u

Awesome Special Occasion Place

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

We had almost every starter on the menu, as well as a few entrees and dessert! And just two of us celebrating our anniversary. This was perfect in every way - could not stop eating and didn't want to. We flew from Seattle for 2 nights just for a vegetarian (vegan) tour of San Francisco and this was well worth the trip alone! You can make a meal out of many starters alone and experience so many wonderful flavors.

Pros: Amazing, Busy, Location
sunbaby08
sunbaby08

OK choice for a vegan splurge

3 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

After looking at the prices, I would have never chosen to take my boyfriend here for his birthday had it not been "Convert-A-Carnivore" Night -- on the 2nd Wednesday of every month, 25% off your bill if you mention the special. On the one hand, it's nice to have a fine-dining experience that caters specifically to veg*ns. The food is creative, seasonally-inspired, and well-spiced. On the other hand, it's sooo expensive, service was not that great, and the portions were tiny. Would recommend for a special night out or one-time splurge, but I don't think I'll be going back.

Pros: seasonal, romantic
Cons: too expensive, small portions
kennyp353
kennyp353

Use your cash to eat four times elsewhere instead

3 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

Last Thursday I took a second trip to Millenium, a year after my first. The fact that it is situated inside a Best Western should be your first clue that it is really not worth the extreme expense. We had the week's special, which was two minuscule appetisers followed by a large entrée followed by a small dessert. Just after Halloween, this meant pumpkin overload - everything had pumpkin. The two appetisers were quite nice, but both of our entrées were disappointing, and the pumpkin creme brulée dessert was a travesty of that creamy delight. Was this as a result of choosing the weekly special containing random stuff that would never make the cut of the "real" menu? I think unlikely - I didn't have the special last time and whilst it was better than this time, it was still nothing to write home about. Service was neither friendly nor fast - at these prices you should expect top-notch, not Dennys.

And so much for converting meat-eaters - my omnivorous partner was put off vegetarian places completely thereafter, begging that we didn't have to go to another veggie place.

Look, it's OK, but $150 for two? Please. Visit Golden Era on the adjacent block and be served similarly slightly disappointing food for a quarter of the price.

Pros: location, atmosphere
Cons: massively overpriced, disappointing food, poor service given the price
natz
natz

Still wonderful

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

Ate here two years ago and was our best dinner in SF so had to return. Still wonderful, expensive decor and high end dining. Excellent service and informative waiters, great wine and champagne selection. Highly recommended if you are looking for a high end dining experience.

Pros: Amazing food, Great wines
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Major disappointment and lied to... oil bomb

2 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2009

We went here thinking we'd be at home as Oil Free Vegans since the owners are long time McDougallers. We explained that we didn't eat oil and wanted what Dr. McDougall would order. The waitress went back and talked to the chef and we were brought out a salad, which I believe was oil free, but also a plate of oil soaked mushrooms and veggies... we poured our water on them and bubbles of oil floated to the surface. We told the waitress and she said "I had a really long conversation with him about it" we expected our entrees would be ok, but both came out an oily mess. It seemed that the chef in fact did try to reduce the oil, but again we simply pour water and watch the oil glisten across the surface... The waitress told us they were tomato juices... what can you do, I can't sit there and get insulted. We paid the $100 and left. At least the wine and cocktails are good. I'm really upset since it was my bday and all I got was a melon salad. Even on the owner's website it says you can get oil free options there... We didn't even order just asked our waitress what the chef could do oil free and choose between the two plates they offered. This is not a healthy restaurant. We've been eating around the world oil free as you can see from my endless reviews, it just sucks since we've actually met the owners on a McDougall trip to Costa Rica and are in town to go to a McDougall weekend that we couldn't even get fed at their restaurant. I hesitate to even write this review but just want others to know that a healthy meal can not be had here. The food is fantastic if you haven't clued into the dietary problems with consuming free oils. They manager asked us if there was a problem since she noticed we didn't eat our food and we just said, we're oil free vegans and it was great, but not what we wanted... Oh well, should have ordered like I do in the rest of the world "I'm allergic to oil my nose will bleed all over the table if you put any in my food" just didn't expect to need those extremes at this of all places...

Pros: cocktails
Cons: oily mess, mushrooms overkill
  • sfliberal sfliberal

Are you sure you went to the same Millennium? I never encountered oily food. Millennium is a treasure for the Vegan community. We need more restaurants like this if we expect others to convert. Try the harvest specials when they come around. They are incredible.

• eric eric

Hey, sorry to hear about your experience, that sucks! -especially on your b-day!
    btw- Happy Belated B-day :-)

Delve
Delve

If you like SALT and spending lots of cash...

2 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2009

Salt and lots o' cash go hand in hand at this restaurant. I've eaten here a handful of times and have been thoroughly disappointed every time. I visited so often because there is so much incredible hype surrounding this restaurant. I'm a strict vegan and have been for nearly a decade. I learned after becoming a vegan that my palate changed. It became more sensitive to flavors such as salt which is a very common and more unoticeable flavor in a lacto vegetarian diet due to eating salty cheeses frequently. So, when I eat in a restaurant with salt laden small portioned expensive food I wonder to myself 'is this chef vegan' and making up for what s/he may think is a flavor lacking in vegan foods by adding liberal amounts of salt? Or is this a salt addicted vegan who needs to be rehabilitated with fresh herbs and spices? I had a theory for 3 years that the chef here must not be vegan. Turns out I was/am right about that. Not only is he not vegan..he isn't even a full blown vegetarian. That to me explains the lack of flavor dimension and overly salted food. I have many non-vegan non-vegetarian chef friends who don't resort to salt..so I know it can be done! The food is presented beautifully, but in such a way that one may feel intimidated to criticize. How can one criticize a place that has such hype and outrageously high costs? Their menu tends to change so I can mention the dishes I recall having: the lobster mushroom with pureed potatoes, and several of their seasonal dishes involving fennel, mushrooms, tomatoes. Each one came out looking very appetizing, but the flavors fell salty flat. One more thing to add: I had a friend who took a cooking class there with Chef Tucker and she mentioned as they were cooking a soup he came over and tasted the one she was working on and commented that it wasn't flavorful enough and needed something more. His ultimate advice to her? It was to add more salt.

Cons: too much hype, salty food, overpriced food
stokedonspokes
stokedonspokes

best vegan resturaunt ever? possibly

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2009

creative seasonal dishes. amazing and very creative cocktails. i took my carnivorous dad when he was in town visiting there and he enjoyed every bit. everytime i go i get the spinach salad because its so amazing and changes every few weeks. i am looking forward to eating here when i get back from south america and bringing some wine i got down here to eat with a spinach salad. yeah, its "exspensive" but its high end dining. you only pay a little less to eat complete crap at herbivore so folks should just get over it.

Pros: excellent food, creative food, great staff
sangiyer
sangiyer

Might have been our best meal

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

Wonderful setting and location. My husband and I enjoyed the food so much and had such a great time here. I had an earl Grey sorbet for dessert and I can't stop thinking about it. It was soooo amazing!

We will def be making reservations on our next trip to the Bay area.

Thank you for creating exquisite vegan fine dining.

Pros: great food, location
Cons: they need to have more restaurants!
Texas Yankee 1955
Texas Yankee 1955

Carnivors will enjoy also

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2009

My husband and I ate at the Millenium during a recent visit to SF. He loved having a vegan restaurant that also served organic wines. I'm a carnivore and still enjoyed the appetizer and entre that I had. The ambiance is very nice and the location is easy to find. I would recommend to one and all - vegan, veggetarian or carnivore.

Pros: great food, good wine list, knowledgeable staff
Cons: none really
Shockingfish
Shockingfish

The best

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2009

I love this place - one of the best eating expreiances that I have ever had! If you are in the area (or within a 100 mile radius) go and try the food.

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Just great
Cons: book to avoid disapointment, if busy service can be slow
jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

Best vegan restaurant by far...

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2009

I took a group of non-vegan friends here and they were very wary. I have to admit we were very intimidated by the menu. We didn't recognize a lot of the ingredients and had to ask the waiter to recommend dishes for us. He took us through everything, and even brought us an extra dish to try when our meals arrived. The food did not have tofu or faux meats, it was all fresh and delicious and stood on it's own. My non-vegan friends were amazed at how good everything was, and we passed our dishes around sharing all of our meals and trying to decide which was the best. We also tried some of their signature alcoholic drinks. The sunrise tequila was very fresh and worth a try. The desserts were delicious, but very rich. We had trouble finishing everything at the end and had to take some home. It was the best vegan dining experience I've ever had. I wish more vegan restaurants cooked vegan food the way they do it at Millenium and that it was closer to home. The service was wonderful and the food was delicious. We were all very impressed. We were there for a long time between courses so I wouldn't go if you're in a rush, but we didn't mind and had a very nice time.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Lenique
Lenique

Absolute Favorite Restaurant !!

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2009

I went to Millennium while in San Francisco. It was a treat to be able choose anything on the menu since I am used to normally not having many options when out to eat where I live (NC). I liked it so much my husband and I went to the restaurant twice while in SF. I loved the food and the staff was wonderful, even sent over a complimentary dessert.

Pros: Excellent Food, So many vegan choices, Great staff
craigmc
craigmc

dissapointing

3 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2009

had a pretty bad time here. had been to greens a couple of night before, and had great expectations, which maybe didn't help.
the food was okay, but overpriced. the service was terrible, starting from arriving early and trying to get a drink at the bar, and trying, crap........and didn't get better.

Cons: service, price
dinakourda
dinakourda

Excellent Service

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2009

So, I've never been a big fan of Millennium just because I'm not fond of fungus of any kind and they seem to just love it. Too many mushrooms, radish, hot spices, and garlic for me - if you love those things - you'll love Millennium. The service is excellent - probably the best in SF. Their desserts are the best and the only two things I could have off of the prix fixe menu were the beet salad and the crepe which were both delicious! Also, it's totally expensive, and I wouldn't complain because the service was so excellent and the desserts are the best I've ever had, but the menu is very limiting for me. Did I mention the desserts??????

Pros: Excellent Service, Clean, Yummy
Cons: Limited Menu, Parking, Price
raven
raven

Wow

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

We ordered the Chef's Taster Menu and enjoyed a 2.5 hour feast. Everything was wonderful except it would have been nice if the grape leaves with the Dolmas could have been soft and edible. Not being soft and easy to eat, the server could have told us that . . .
The desserts were heavenly.

Pros: Amazing flavors, Beautiful presentations, Unusual food combinations
sshanon33
sshanon33

Amazing Experience!

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

Not only was the food absolutely amazing (knocked my socks off!), but the staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Everything from the drinks, to the salads, to the desserts were unbelievably exquisite.
I will be back at Millennium whenever I'm back in San Fran.

Pros: Food, Staff, Ambiance
Cons: Reservations are tough, Expensive
pupa
pupa

This is IT!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2008

Yes! i've been dying to dine at this joint forever, and my very high expectations were met! i am so happy that the place is so busy and people are willing to experience vegan cuisine at this level! great ambiance, reminds me of a classic French bistro, with worm colors and clean setting! The staff is very professional and friendly! we have a baby girl and they accommodated us tremendously! Everybody, from the host to the busser showed great deal of care, not to mention the runners explaining in details every single dish! i work in a Michelin Star restaurant and our runners don't do such a great job!
we had the tasting menu, and it was great that they actually bring you two different dishes for each course! never seen this before unless you are VIP and we were not! this gives you a chance to taste variety of food, which was great because my wife can be picky! I loved every dish, i won't go in details but it was obvious that Mr. Tucker poured his soul in his creations. Great balance and wide complexity! Nice progression nothing heavy but clean elegant flavors! I ordered the wine pairing but was a bit disappointed, so i switched to a bottle, they understood and accommodated me about that too! their wine list is nice, maybe needs a bit work but i respect the fact that they offer only environmentally conscious producers which is great! Very reasonably priced!
To anyone that reads this review and appreciates food for more that a nutrition necessity, go to the Millennium! especially if you are not vegan, because this is the food of the NEXT MILLENNIUM, and one should at least give respect to people with vision!

Pros: excellent food, great staff, more than excellent food!
Cons: not cheap but worth it!
XspeedyX
XspeedyX

What is there left to say!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2008

This is great. Staff is amazing, the drinks are to die for and if you end up at the bar, don't be bummed... the atmosphere there is super!

condekedar
condekedar

Great atmosphere, decent food

3 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

Millennium's location, ambience and service are all top-notch. This is arguably the ritziest veg*n restaurant in the US, no doubt. However, I went there twice and was not completely impressed by some of the food. The appetizers were uniformly excellent, especially the savory, creamy gnocchi; the desserts were out-of-this-world, either the blueberry tartlette or the chocolate-almond midnight. They have a separate pastry chef, for god's sake! But the main courses I tried---the blackened tempeh and the roulade---were a bit flat. They were tasty, and would be acceptable at any other restaurant, but not at a place like this, which charges $23 a dish.

I would definitely recommend Millennium for drinks, desserts and appetizers; it's a great place to take a date. Maybe I picked the wrong main courses, and their menu does change frequently, so I'll keep trying new dishes whenever I'm in town. But in terms of overall delectable, unusual and spectacular vegan food, my favorite remains Horizons in Philadelphia.

Pros: Atmosphere, Desserts, Service
Cons: Expensive, Passable main courses
hellokitty
hellokitty

My Favorite Veg Restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

Millennium is my "treat me" place - it's expensive but soooooo worth the money for that special occasion. The food, service and presentation is to die for! My first time I did the menu sampler option - there was way more than enough food for me and my guest, in fact we brought some home because we couldn't finish.

The only part of the meal that didn't thrill me was desert, I thought it was OK but could have been better.

Pros: Excellant Food, Beautiful Ambiance, Wonderful Waitstaff
Cons: Expensive, Deserts just 'OK', Location could be better
jamber79
jamber79

Very nice!

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2008

Loved this restaurant, very trendy and nice atmosphere. Nice and helpful staff (our waiter was VERY nice until desert time when he started to seem less interested in being a great waiter for some reason). The food was great, but of course the prices were too high. Good for a nice night out once in a while. Good drinks at the bar too!

Pros: atmosphere, food, drinks
Cons: price, slightly limited menu
Ohapril
Ohapril

My absolute favorite vegan restaurant!

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2008

I'm from NY and we have some terrific veggie food out there - BUT, hands down, Millennium is deservedly my favorite restaurant. Millennium is an experience - not just a restaurant. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. To begin, the cocktails are scrumptious - perfectly mixed & made with organic house-infused spirits w/ a creative and unique flair. The Kiwi Gimlet is addictive (Kiwi-Parsley Infused Vodka, Agave, & Muddled Fresh Lime & Parsley). The bread and bean spread they give each table is SO good I would almost be happy just having that as my dinner. The food is meticulously cooked - perfectly flavored, amazing textures, and everything is local, ripe, and in season. Any review I could give you on the entrees simply could not do them justice. Amazingly, I took a few skeptic meat-eaters there begrudgingly. They all LOVED it and pretty much licked their plates clean. They could not belive that there was no meat, butter, or milk in any of the dishes that they just devoured. The desserts are so rich and decadent that they were still not convinced that it was all vegan. I have been lucky to dine at this amazing place on more than a few occasions and it has never been anything short of perfection. Some people say it's pricey...but, we vegans are not used to eating at "real" restaurants where $20 for an entree is not uncommon (it's more than worth it!). Do not compare this place to somewhere where you can get a bowl of noodles for $5. That is like comparing apples to trucks. Just GO to Millennium. Splurge, indulge, and enjoy yourelf - especially for special occasions. You will be so happy that you did! They also has a wonderful, comfortable ambiance - great for dates or casual dinners with friends. Reservations are highly recommended. Even a spot at the bar can be hard to come by because this places is so damn popular - but rightfully so! Conveniently, you can make reservations online throgh their website at www.millenniumrestaurant.com.

Pros: Amazing cuisine, 100% Vegan, Awesome Service
Cons: Not open for lunch :(
Petesternz
Petesternz

Close to Vegan perfection

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2008

Finally made it to Millennium this past week after hearing a lot about it. The wait was justified! It was a real vegan dining experience, unlike any I've had before. First-rate food, service and atmosphere. The key, of course, was the delicious and inspiring food. Really interesting creations that were mouthwateringly good. Loved the desserts, especially. Don't miss this place!!

Pros: Great atmosphere, desserts, service
Cons: Pricey
ajervis
ajervis

The Millenium is *****!

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2008

I'm a vegan and my husband is a vegetarian. We loved Millennium! Their deserts were so AMAZING that we wrote the pastry chefs a thank you letter on our napkin! You MUST try this place out!

Pros: Deserts!
wendybrian
wendybrian

Best Food of the millennium

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2008

Came to San Francisco on my honeymoon and was craving some delicious vegetarian food, as there is a limited selection where we live. This place was recommended by our hotel and did not disappoint. THIS IS THE BEST RESTAURANT THAT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO. We had a indian flavored (maybe tikka something) starter and the fresh rolls. Both were to die for. Then we had the samosa and the bolognese, more of the same deliciousness. Finished off the meal with some delicious teas and sorbets. The whole time we could hardly believe that what we were putting in our mouths tasted as good as it did. I kept saying that if non-vegetarians ate here they would never want to eat meat again.

Pros: Best Food Ever Eaten, and I mean Ever, Delicious Teas and awesome drink list, Great desserts
Cons: none, none, none
Hallie
Hallie

delicious

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

Most of the food here is pretty delicious. The complimentary bread with dip (I suspect they are supposed to resemble caviar and pate, made with beans) are a very tasty way to be greeted. The menu changes, but both times I went they had black bean torte and mocha midnight cake, which I would go just for those two items alone, and be full and satisfied. The black bean torte is a genius combination of flavors I would never expect to be so outrageously good together, but it is! The mocha midnight cake (not exact name, but close enough) is to die for! It's mocha cake with white chocolate cream and dark chocolate flakes accompanied by dark chocolate and raspberry sauces drizzled over. Orgasm for your mouth. I forget which wine I had there (it was the cheapest organic vegan one), but it was the best wine I've ever had... and the most expensive (I'm a college student).
The prices are kind of high, but worth it, and you actually get a decent sized portion.
A friend an I went there hungry before and just ordered the black bean torte and midnight cake, and shared the complimentary bean spread/dip that they give you, and we walked out full for about $20 each. The appetizer and dessert plates are small, but they somehow filled us up anyway. The dinner plates are a decent size.
Oh and I LOVE the atmosphere.

Pros: delious food, great atmosphere
Cons: expensive, borders the Tenderloin area
AnonymousTasteTester
AnonymousTasteTester

On again, off again

3 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2008

I've been to Millennium on 3 occasions, first at their old location and now their new.

The first time we went, the food was just okay -- nothing to write home about.

The 2nd time we went (new location) the food was so good, I LITERALLY started to cry. That's never happened to me before, but it was just amazingly flavorful and moutwateringly delicious.

The 3rd time we went the waiter was horrendous and after repeating to him about 5 or 6 times that I could not have cilantro in anything, every dish came with it and I had to send it back each and every time. I hate to waste food, but I seriously cannot stand even a speck of it in anything. He kept apologizing, but would STILL mess up the order with the next course. Crazy. (As a joke, I put a piece of cilantro on my dessert when he came over to fill my water. LOL)

The desserts are truly delectable. Props to the dessert maker!

I'll give them another chance, of course, since it's just a beautiful restaurant and a wonderful night out when you want to have a dressy night out. But it IS a hefty sum of money and should be reserved for special occasions.

Pros: Gorgeous place, Great desserts, Sometimes the food is amazing
Cons: Sometimes the food sucks, Service can be fabulous AND crappy, Very expensive
atandt
atandt

high-end vegan dining

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2008

ahh, the fabled Millennium. it was a treat to come here not once but twice for dinner. very much like Fressen back home in Toronto, only more grand. creative gourmet dishes which never fail to either delight or confuse. really tasty desserts.

Pros: classy
Cons: pricey, highfalutin' fare

great treat

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2007

besides having delicious & amazing food, the atmosphere is great. it is a bit pricey, but worth it for special occasions. also, a great place to bring your carnie friends!

rabidamazon
rabidamazon

Fabulous Upscale food

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2007

Its pretty pricey and something I would only visit on a special occasion but my first visit to SF was certainly a special occasion.

I had the 5 course tasting menu. Everything was really good but the salad with roasted pears and 5 spiced cashews, cauliflower pakoras and the grilled portobellas with smoked tofu really stood out. The dessert sampler had to be enjoyed later as I was too full to eat any more (except for the ice cream cookie sandwich, of course). All of those were delicious as well.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Wonderful food, Pleasant service
Cons: Cost , Parking
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Nice Place

4 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2007

Very upscale kind of place suitable for a special occasion. But okay also for everyday people. Good service. Decent Food. Great ambiance. Pricey but not terrible for this kind of dining and in San Francisco.

baruchadam
baruchadam

High end dining

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2007

A high end, high priced dining experience that you'll need reservations to eat at. An interesting menu with well designed taste sensations. Millennium and The Greens are probably the best SanF vege restaurants...don't miss either of them.

Deano
Deano

I wasn't asking for a solution to world poverty

3 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2007

Here's the one about the gourmet (and very expensive) vegan restaurant that was stumped by the arrival of..... a vegan.
It claims to have the most extensive organic wine list in the world. They tell you if it's made using "biodynamic production techniques" but not if it's veggie or vegan. Our waitress went to find out if they had any vegan wine and then forgot to take our order for 20 minutes.
And despite making a few phone calls it took them two hours to discover if they had any vegan beer. I was trying to show off the best in meat-free dining to a meat-eating friend. Oops.
On the plus side, the food is all vegan and it's very good. But don't go if you're expecting a lot of food to be staring up at you off those large, posh plates. It's pretty but there's precious little of it.
Sadly, I thought Millennium was lacking in character and slightly up its own backside.

Pros: Impressive food, Somewhere for a special occasion
Cons: Lack of vegan beer/wine, Cost, Atmosphere
Vegan Mom
Vegan Mom

Tasty food and pleasant surroundings

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2007

On special occasions, my husband and I enjoy going to the Millennium. Before they expanded, it was pretty small, to the point of being cramped inside. The last couple times we've gone, we've enjoyed the expansion and new decor. They have wonderful food, even better desserts, and it's a vegan restaurant where we dress up, slow down, and enjoy. It's pretty pricy, so we haven't taken the family, ut it's a nice place to go for a romantic evening. The food is great from appetizer to dessert.

Pros: 100% vegan, fancy, desserts!!!
Cons: very expensive

big bang

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2007

My experience here was wonderful. My date and I went for the pre-fix but upped it to a seven course tasting menu. I'm still thinking about those cornmeal oyster mushrooms!! My mouth waters. The service was impeccable and the food, well, out of seven courses I sure had my favorites, but nearly everything pleased the palate.

Pros: delicious, great service, great decor

Dear Owner and Manager of Millennium: