Created in 2006 with a mission to bring together food, drink, music, and art under one roof. Converted to all vegetarian menu in 2010. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, British, Juice bar, Beer/Wine
213 City Road
Cardiff, Wales CF24 3JD
02920-473150

Open Sun-Thur 11am-12am, Fri-Sat 11am-12.30am.

First Review by Helen J
MissHLMorris1234
MissHLMorris1234

Nice Place

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

I love that Milgi use organic and locally produced ingredients wherever possible. Having said that, the portions are small and expensive. I do like that a lot of dishes can be veganised and I've never been disappointed with the quality and flavour of anything I have tried here. The cocktails are also delicious! Overall it's a good place for vegetarians but there is room for improvement.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Friendly, informed staff, Fresh food
Cons: Expensive, Small portions
SamuelBelli
SamuelBelli

Much love for this place.

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

The food is awesome. Its all Vegetarian but! not much vegan stuff on the menu.

It is somewhat expensive but lets get real, do you want to eat a bean burger in McDonalds or Burger King not knowing what on earth is in it or spend a little more at Milgi and know your in safe hands?

The staff are awesome and you wont wait long for food, I had a meal out back once and the weather was nice, its a great place to hang out.

I wish they would open more stores!

Pros: Vegan options, Very nice staff, Cute decor
Cons: not the cheapest, Only one Store...
CatharineMarie
CatharineMarie

Nice, but expensive

3 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

Milgi is a really cute, alternative place and has a lot of comfy sofas in the front which is nice. It also has a nice outdoor area for the summer and a yurt outside, which I haven't been in other than to have a look.
The food is good and they do have vegan options, but not everything on their menu can be made vegan. The portion sizes aren't huge and the food is fairly expensive in light of this.
They don't have many vegan desserts (for a veggie place). There is always something, but again many are vegetarian where I do not understand why they couldn't just make them vegan.
The cocktails are great though and one of the main reasons for me to come here. They are expensive, but not more so than they would be in other places and they are beautifully presented. If you order a fruity cocktail, it will have fresh fruit in it rather than that weird puree stuff some places use. The cocktail menu is great and they have a lot of variety and great flavours to choose from. All the ones I've had have been great.
The staff can be a little unfriendly. I went with a large group of girls to eat one time, but we weren't out for drinks, so most of us ordered water with our food and the waitress was noticeably annoyed about this, which I don't consider good service. And all of us ordered food and quite a few of us desserts, so it wasn't like they were doing badly off us!
There have been other similar instances of staff unfriendliness, just making you feel a bit uncomfortable or unwelcome. This is the main thing that has put me off of this place, although I've gone a lot as I used to live very close to it.

Pros: Great food and cocktails, Nice alternative place, Outside area
Cons: Not very central, Staff can be unfriendly, Expensive for the portion sizes

Rachelsmum
Rachelsmum

Loved my first meal in Milgi's

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

I had the veggie breakfast here a couple of weeks ago and it was gorgeous. It's not wheelchair accessible but a kind customer helped me to get my very small mobility scooter inside. I pointed out to the owner that she needed to get a portable ramp.I haven't been in the yurt but I've been told it's amazing. The owner's Dad is a DJ who does remixes of music from the 20s and 30s and she told me a DJ plays the originals on Sundays on a gramophone in the restaurant. I'm looking forward to their Christmas dinner.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere
Cons: No disabled access
emzy1985
emzy1985

Random Find

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

I often stay at my parents in Barry just up the road, but I've never ventured into Cardiff for food before. Happy Cow directed me to Milgi. It's in a very culteral, leftie area which was right up my street. The venue itself was beautiful and very DIY. The staff were friendly and the food was great with plenty of vegan options. The cocktails were also delicious. I can recommend the ginger vodka mohito! :)

Pros: Good value, Tasty, Friendly staff
Cons: Not enough vegan deserts
magicsteven
magicsteven

I like this place

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

this place 'has good vibes', for lack of a better expression. I recommend it - good food good people.

Pros: good food, good vibes
Cons: absence of bad vibes
Sharonbig
Sharonbig

Fantastic

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

We enjoyed some great cocktails and a vegan Meze at Milgi, staff were friendly and really helpful, the atmosphere was great and we felt we could stay sat on the comfy sofa for hours!

blister
blister

nice venue

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

I've only tried their cakes, which ain't bad, but a bit pricey. Lovely friendly venue which we always end up in if we're tripping.

Petitefleur
Petitefleur

love it :)

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

Lovely little cafe. Good food (amazing Sunday roast), nice fresh juices & teas, also vegan and gluten free cakes are usually available. Nice chai also :) their cocktails seem popular too. really interesting to look around and a yurt out the back. They also have some themed nights and do jumble sales etc.

Pros: delicious! healthy & mostly organic / seasonal , lovely atmosphere & cosy, all vegetarian & vegan friendly
Cons: not cheap but it's worth it , sometimes run out of stuff
mikebinos
mikebinos

fantastic!

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

A great spot in Cardiff. Went twice on our last trip there. They had a DJ both times playing good music while you drink tea or eat a meal. The teas were great (fresh infusions with ginger, lemon, basil, etc) and the Sunday Roast was fantastic. A great nut loaf with roasted veggies and a pudding. The staff are very nice too and friendly. We went Easter Sunday so the roast was a little empty and not much of a scene, but it is a great place anyway.

mmoneypenny
mmoneypenny

Friendly, funky place

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

Took a bit of time to get parked (at night on the street) but was very happy once I got through the door to this friendly place.
On the till it says "We (heart) vegans" and they certainly did well to point out what I could or couldn't eat. A good selection of starters and mains but a limited selection of desserts.
People seemed to be coming in just for the cocktails which looked amazing.

Pros: Tasty food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Limited dessert selection for vegans, Smallish portions
Helen J
Helen J

Exciting food in lively setting

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2011

Quirky Bar/Restaurant that does good veggie food with influences from around the world. They do great Sunday lunches at good prices and occasional themed evenings. Good cocktails, lively atmosphere and a Yurt in the garden!

Dear Owner and Manager of Milgi: