Restaurant is one part of non-profit community project with team of mainly Indonesian members and some foreigners that also includes a pre-school playgroup, multi-language library, village based community center, programming for street youth, handicraft production and showroom, organic farming, and other activities focusing on health, education, and the environment. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Jl. Prawirotaman IV/127B, Yogyakarta (near southern backpacker hostels area, just east of Jl. Parangtritis)
Java, Indonesia
0274-7423399

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by kool_kitchen
bianchina
bianchina

Great food with peaceful and lush surrounds

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2014

I had dinner here twice during my visit to Yogya. I would highly recommend checking it out. The menu is quite extensive, mainly local and some Western dishes. It's healthy and delicious too! There's a great range of yummy drinks. Staff were friendly, prompt and catered to my special vegan requests very well. They even steamed the tofu and tempeh for me rather than frying it. I asked for a few adjustments to the recipes both times and they didn't mind at all or make any mistakes. They also have a little shop where you can buy some really nice batik products and health food items such as muesli, green tea, brown rice. And it's all set in a beautiful tropical garden. Prices are more than what you pay in the more casual warung that locals prefer, but it's all still very cheap by Western standards and things are made really beautifully. The Javanese salad with grated coconut is a good one to try - it has a delicious ginger, mint, lime and sweet dressing. Unfortunately for vegans there are eggs and dairy products served here but most of it is marked on the menu, and most of it can be adapted to vegans. I'd be careful of ordering the burgers, patties etc if you're vegan as they probably have egg in them. Also a lot of the drinks contain honey, but I asked for it to be left out and it was.

Pros: delicious and healthy, beautiful setting, friendly staff, helpful to vegans
CassieN
CassieN

Excellent!

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2014

Really great food, attentive staff, delicious fruit juices and smoothies, we were in heaven! The courtyard is beautiful and peaceful, surrounded by flowers and trees with a lovely fountain, it makes for a very romantic setting!

Pros: Great food, Delicious fruit juices, Nice setting - Garden courtyard
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Hope to go back someday

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

We visited here quite a long time ago so I cannot give an up to date review, but when we did visit a couple of years ago we absolutely loved it. It is hard to find as mentioned below (it is down a quiet side street and took our driver a while to find it)

However inside it is peaceful and quiet and the food was good. There was a little shop selling things, a really nice place and worth going to even if you're not veggie =)

Pros: atmosphere, good cause
Cons: hard to find

Moix
Moix

LOVE!

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

Visited May 2013. I had the Nasi Goreng Milas & my friend had the pumpkin curry & we were both ultra impressed by the delicate flavours & textures as well as the gorgeous presentation. Sincere & relaxed service, spacious & comfy with music & the sound of a fountain in the pond. Beautiful surrounds, loving ethos & very affordable.

Pros: Peaceful yet bubbling atmosphere, Absolutely delicious food, Affordable
Cons: Limited opening, 3 - 9
taters108
taters108

Great food even better cause

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week in Indonesia at the end of our 3 month trip in South East Asia and this was one of our favourite restaurants. There were so many options on the menu, the food was great and the ambiance was amazing! It was a little hard to find and didn't open until a bit later in the afternoon/evening but we went back several times because the food was just so good. We also ordered take out after every meal and it was very affordable. I would recommend taking a look at the gift shop while you are there!

Pros: excellent food, pretty and romantic ambiance, good cause
Cons: got busy, opens late
Canemaster
Canemaster

Fantastic vegetarian haunt in Yogya

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2011

I was in Jogja for three days and booked a hotel two streets away from Milas as I am a strict vegetarian. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by the restaurant's concept and would highly recommend it to all visitors, not just vegetarians, visiting Jogja. The menu is well-varied and had Indonesian and western diet. The only thing is that the price is a bit steep for Indonesian standards, but still affordable. Well-done Milas!

pradipd
pradipd

An oasis in Yogyakarta!

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2010

In this carnivorous part of the world, Milas is an oasis of not just vegetarian food, but calm, serenity and a quiet. The food is of course sublime, "soul food" made primarily from produce from their organic garden. The menu is huge and very creative and innovative. The only negative I have is that they use eggs in a lot of dishes, and even for non vegans, this is a no no! However more power to them.

Pros: Value, Ambience, Choice
Cons: Eggs
csbench
csbench

Great menu, garden setting

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2009

Milas was a wonderful find! It's hidden back in a residential neighborhood not too far from one of the backpackers areas of Yogyakarta. The restaurant is set up in a garden, surrounding a small pond, and is quiet and peaceful. The menu has a wide variety of options from traditional Indonesian cuisine to western foods with an Indonesian flair (like a couple great veggie burger options.)

Pros: big menu, very good value, peaceful
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Milas Review

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

This is a lovely community based project with organic natural ingredients and so marvelously cheap.

A little hard to find, it is just off a tiny unassuming road with a lot of potholes. It is surrounded by a silver wall that once you get around to the entrance, reveals an oasis of calm. It's rustic but the garden/compound with pond and various comfortable seating options is just great to chill out in after eating.

The food is some of the best in Yogyakarta. If you crave a sunday roast type option, the Tempe steak is lush serverd with roast veggies and gravy and is the best thing on the menu. I loved the fried crackers although sauces must be ordered separately and the Tempe Sate is also a good option.

It is also listed in the Lonely Planet and it deserves many praises and I hope to return to sample it's wares in the future!

Pros: excellent food, lovely decor, very good value
Cons: no alcohol, hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Milas: