Vege & grain cafe. Small vegan restaurant located on the second floor, opened since March 2010. Clean woodsy atmosphere with jazz music and a little sofa. Serves a variety of food from a long list of tapas to pastas to curries. Offers a menu in English. Address in Japanese: 166-0003 東京都杉並区高円寺南3-45-11 2F. Confirmed open June 2012. Lunch menu until 2:30pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Japanese

FangedHare
  • raw

Spectacular, Underrated

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2015

Another vegan gem in Koenji...totally wonderful place. The food is top-notch...ingredients, menu, taste, preparation...all superb. And extremely reasonable prices for the quality. If you happen to come during lunch, the menu is limited to a few selections (all great) but they do offer their mixed grain-veggie platter as one choice...one of the most delicious, healthy, nicely-presented vegan meals I ever had. The evening menu is much broader (also includes rare items like black-bean hummus...delicious).

The folks are great and the atmosphere is also lovely...very homelike and relaxing. Location is also relatively convenient, quite close to Koenji station. The one caution is just that the place is fairly small. Also, be careful of the business hours...as currently listed above is wrong (they are generally closed on Mon-Tues, and Wed is only dinner). I have requested an update of the hours but if in doubt, best to confirm directly on their site (easy to check calendar on the front page).

I'm resisting the urge to gush again, but will just say that Meunota is one of the best vegan restaurants I've found in Japan. Actually, even though it has generally high ratings, I'm still a bit shocked that this place doesn't have much more visibility...it is seriously underrated. Anyway, I can't fault any of it...easily max stars, max recommendation. Do not miss.

Pros: Creative menu w superb food, Cozy ambience, Reasonable prices
MsVyv
MsVyv

Cosy, pleasant food

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

Upstairs, so limited access (not unusual in Tokyo, but still). Lovely atmosphere, but be warned, the amount of English spoken may vary depending on who is working that day, perhaps? I was unlucky, I think, and got very friendly and eager to please service that involved a certain amount of mime and pulling up pictures on my phone. And waving the always life-saving card a friend made for me that explains not only veganism but Coeliac disease (but then, I basically have to do similar in English speaking restaurants, and it's my own fault for coming on such an impromptu trip that I didn't really have time to learn even basic keywords) Ahem. Anyway, my own fault, and they were genuinely nice.

I had the mixed lunch platter, and it was delicious. Miso soup, a mild slightly Mexican style bean dish, brown rice, a steamed half carrot, salad, grilled tofu and something I didn't eat because it looked suspiciously bread like and I wasn't 100% I'd made it through on the Coeliac thing, but that might just be my terrible paranoia about not getting vilely ill on holiday, and a coffee. The coffee was very much Tokyo style and Tokyo standard, so I probably would have been much, much happier with tea, but I felt I needed the caffeine hit.

Great atmosphere, great space, nice people.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly service, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Variable English of staff, Limited lunch menu (I think? Maybe?), Tokyo-standard coffee
tensai
tensai

One Of My Favourite Restaurants In Tokyo!

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2011

This is one of my favourite restaurants in Tokyo, in real short here's why:
-Very tasty, original and satisfying vegan food.
-Very nice, quintessential cute Tokyo interior (unlike some other typical veggie restaurants) - great to eat here with a non veggie date.
-Very nice service.
-Again, great healthy tasty hearty food, with good portions - at a very good price.

Do not give it a miss if you are in town!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Incredible food
Cons: none

kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Cosy place, good food

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

Not too difficult to find by Tokyo standards, Meu Nota offered a wide range of cuisines from an english menu. The staff were super friendly and the food was all good. The taco rice salad and the Chocolate/Walnut cake were particularly good; and it was nice to find hummus, black bean hummus as well in Japan. A very good meal and reasonable price for Japan. Do try the mango beer!

Pros: Cosy, Friendly, Good range of food
poppy*
poppy*

Highly recommended!

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

*fresh and delicious dishes
*good selection of music (mostly Brazilian, Latin, Jazz)
*friendly and knowledgeable staff :)
*small but cozy atmosphere