Serves meat, veg options available. Metropolitan specializes in farm-to-table cooking. When possible, uses ingredients from local farms and purveyors and is sustainable and earth friendly. Vegan options available. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
169 West St
Annapolis, Maryland
410-280-5161

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by VeganET

doesn't live up to promise

2 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

I went here because it was one of the places listed on this site. (I'm not vegan.)

I started with an eggplant caponata. It was decent but not great. The eggplant was a bit too hard for my liking (I perfer my caponata more...mushy), and it was accompanied by hard, toasted baguette slices. This was an okay bread for soaking up the caponata juices, but a soft bread might have done even better.

For my mains I got the black bean burger. Before ordering I asked the waitress whether it was made in-house and she said it was; it certainly seemed to be. Not being breaded and deep-fried it was sloppy, but held together well enough to not all fall out. (We make non-fried lentil burgers at home that have the same feel but are far sloppier and messier, so I appreciated this.) The spinach atop the burger was a good touch. The bun was decent. Most of all, the core burger was tasty, so I enjoyed this part of my meal.

I got the burger with fries. How do you not make good fries? Fried potato: it's carbohydrate, oil, and "fry"! Yet somehow the fries were bland, weak, cool...so unredeeming as to be insulting to the spuds they started from.

I had come by during a run and inquired about seating. I was told it starts to fill up by 6pm, so I came at 5:30. I therefore had a nice table and good service. The bar area looks absolutely superb. But Yelpers who have commented on crumbs and slightly grungy dishes are right.

Overall, there aren't a lot of good vegetarian options in Annapolis, which makes this place a pretty good find. Elsewhere, it would be only decent. It has so much promise, though, and I hope it improves.

The vibe is definitely curious: some odd blend of preppy+hipster.

Pros: menu has veg items marked, decent veg options, tasty burger
Cons: food so-so

Not the Best

2 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

My husband and I tried this restaurant for lunch. The wait staff was very friendly, but the food was not that great. Both my husband and I are vegan, so we called ahead to make sure the black bean burger on their menu did not contain egg or dairy (it is marked vegetarian but not vegan). We were assured it was, but then when we got there, our waitress told us that none of the breads at the restaurant were vegan! Just thought I would write a review to share our findings. We didn't really like anything that we ordered, so we won't go back. The prices were decent.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: food

I'd be back for the Cocktails

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

This is one of the few resteraunts in the Annapolis area that has veg options. The atmosphere is fairly "hip" and the bar area is pretty cool. The service was excellent. Honestly, the drinks were the best part of our dinning experience. The food was okay but nothing to write home about. They had a lot of vegetarian options but only a few vegan ones. Our server did tell us that they will be chaning the menu in the next few months and will include more vegan options - hopefully that's true!

Pros: Drinks, atmoshphere, service

Dear Owner and Manager of Metropolitan: