Serves meat, veg options available. Edgewater/Rogers Park coffee house with an in-house food menu since early 2010. Offering sandwiches, salads, soups (in colder weather), snacks, as well as a full line of vegan pastries made by a vegan chef. Roasts coffees from around the world and works with communities to help develop and promote fair trade in the coffee industry. Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Non-veg

weblybowles
weblybowles

no vegan pastries

2 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2013

This shop carries pastries from a variety of bakeries and the vegan options are not continuously available.

Pros: soy milk
Cons: loud, limited options
jonb959
jonb959

No more vegan pastries

2 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2013

I stopped at Metropolis on my commute this morning as it's on my way to work. I've never been there before, but looked forward to making it a regular stop. I waited eagerly in line to see what vegan pastries they had, since they were recommended here. Unfortunately they didn't have any vegan pastries. The staff looked puzzled when I asked. The only sweets they had were Alternative Baking Company cookies packaged in plastic(most of which I'm not a fan of). I left empty handed. I called in the evening and they told me they used to get vegan pastries from Fritz bakery, but didn't carry them anymore due to low sales. So don't go there if you are looking for vegan pastries. I give it two cows since it looks like a nice coffee shop, but the listing here emphasizes the pastries.

Pros: Looks inviting, Alternative Baking Company Cookies, Friendly efficient staff
Cons: No vegan Pastries
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Always Busy, Great Coffee

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

I've been to Metropolis many times. Warm, welcoming feeling. Exposed brick interior with artwork for sale and a community bulletin board when you first walk in.

Coffee and lattes are the best I've had anywhere. The food and baked goods are high quality, but it's not like they have an extensive menu. It's mostly cookies, bagels, biscotti, desserts, wraps...that sort of thing.

There are two rooms of additional seating connected to the main cafe. They are almost always packed full. Loyola University is nearby so this is a popular spot with students. Honestly, I haven't been here once and found a table without having to wait. Kind of like trying to find a parking space in Chicago, you circle around and circle around until something opens up.

They have Wi-fi. Get password from front counter.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

A Wonderful Coffee Shop!

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2010

I've only been here once, but I see Metropolis as being my new favorite cafe! I stopped in today and bought some of their vegan baked goods for later(made in house - I think they said by a vegan baker/owner). Overall they had a good selection of vegan items and David was helpful when it came to picking a few things out. His suggestions were spot on, the mock mint oreo cookie was fantastic and the coffee cake was phenomenal! So far I think this place is great, I can't wait to go back to try the tofu wrap.

• SynthVegan SynthVegan

I meant to say, this is more like 3.5 cows. :)

Dear Owner and Manager of Metropolis Coffee: