Serves meat, veg options available. Food counter with a few seats outside. Has tofu as protein option in wrap, but does not guaranteed to have pure vegan food. Price: Inexpensive more-less
American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
1384 Kuhio Hwy (/on Kauai)
Kapaa, Hawaii 96746

Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

First Review by shaz

Good food, large portions

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2015

We really liked our dishes that we had at Mermaid's Cafe, a peanut satay and coconut curry dish, both with tofu. Also had the Thai iced tea made with coconut milk. The portions were really big and the food was delicious, I'd recommend going for sure.

Small But Vegan-Friendly

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2011

On the east side in Kapa'a, there is a small lunch and dinner spot called Mermaid's Cafe. They have a really vegan-friendly menu and it's cheap. They serve a tofu satay plate, tofu curry plate, tofu stir fry noodle plate, tofu satay wrap, organic salad, and a black bean burrito (no cheese). Basically, the whole menu can be made vegan.

For a complete review, please see my blog here:

Pros: local ingredients, vegan-friendly
Cons: small, very little seating

Delicious, fresh, local, and quick.

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2010

Mermaids is one of my top choices to eat on Kauai anytime I am home for a vacation.

It is located on the east side of Kauai in Kapaa, right on the highway.

They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, though I have only ate lunch and dinner here before.

Mermaids is a hole in the wall, one room open air kitchen with counter service. There are a few sidewalk seats and counter stools, so if it is busy, you might want to get it to-go and eat it on the beach.

Everything is made right in front of you so you can tell them more or less sauce or extra anything. The service is very friendly.

The food is typical mix of sandwiches, plate lunches, salads and wraps. They have freshly brewed iced teas and lemonaids.

The most popular item on the menu is their ahi wraps . I cannot vouch for this since I am vegetarian,but I can say that ALL of my friends that have EVER eaten them die and go to heaven for them. They tell me the fish is always fresh and seared to perfection.

I have had a variety of sandwiches that are always great. My favorite item is the tofu satay wrap. It comes with homemade peanut sauce, lots of sprouts, brown rice and herb salad. I crave it all the time. It is perfect after beach snack.

Since it is located right on Kuhio Highway, Mermaids makes an easy location to stop by on your way home from the north shore or on your way up.

Kapaa town has interesting shopping in that area. Mermaids is also located conveniently on the half way mark of the Kapaa to Kealia bike path.

Pros: Local, Made fresh
Cons: Limited menu, Closes early
  • veganrunner veganrunner

Please do not post comments that promote non-vegetarian food since this is a site that is set up to only tout vegans and vegetarians. Thanks!

• acasti10 acasti10

i mention the fish only because i know many people who dine with none vegeterians and its nice to find place everyonr will really enjoy.

Disappointed in the lack of vegan food

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2009

We were very disappointed in the lack of vegan food at this cafe, even though they advertise that they have a few vegan dishes. The cooks told us that none of the dishes were vegan. This was our second trip to Kauai, and both times Mermaids did not have one vegan dish available.

Cons: No vegan food, only a couple of vegetarian dishes

Dear Owner and Manager of Mermaids Cafe: